Cowboys Free Agency

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
I think both Carr and Claiborne are at least in the discussion, if Claiborne was healthy it would be easy.

I think you are vastly overrating how good Hall is at this point.
Healthy or not, Claiborne isn't close to the best corner on the team. It's Scandrick by a country mile. If Scandrick isn't healthy it's Carr. If we let Carr go it's Byron Jones. After Jones it's the equipment guy.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
Carr played very well for us his first season and made some impressive interceptions where he attacked the ball.

His picks vs the Steelers and Bengals that season were big plays for us.

That's why I can't understand how the guy hasn't even lucked into an interception in 2 years.

Jiggyfly

Banned
Healthy or not, Claiborne isn't close to the best corner on the team. It's Scandrick by a country mile. If Scandrick isn't healthy it's Carr. If we let Carr go it's Byron Jones. After Jones it's the equipment guy.
I never said Claiborne was the best I said he was better than Hall if healthy.

Jiggyfly

Banned
He literally ranked as the 14th best corner in football last year according to profootball focus. He has a long history of being an excellent starter.

Carr and Claiborne were in the 50's or lower. Carr hasn't had an INT in 2 freaking years and was never that good. To me it's not even a discussion unless Hall isn't healthy right now which is my only guess as to why he is still available.
He ranked 14th but lost his job as a starter?

Hall has always been more bust than excellent corner, there is a reason the Bengals have kept drafting guys and signing the likes of Jones and Newman.

I mean come on if he was anywhere close to the 14th best corner he would have a job.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
He ranked 14th but lost his job as a starter?

Hall has always been more bust than excellent corner, there is a reason the Bengals have kept drafting guys and signing the likes of Jones and Newman.

I mean come on if he was anywhere close to the 14th best corner he would have a job.
Actually Pacman ranked very highly as a corner as well. Which is why he wasn't a starter. This isn't new with Hall. The guy has performed at a probowl level multiple times in his career. The reason he doesn't have a job my, my guess at least, probably has to do with health. Hall has had injury problems over his career. But he has also been an excellent starter on many top notch NFL secondaries.

Jiggyfly

Banned
Actually Pacman ranked very highly as a corner as well. Which is why he wasn't a starter. This isn't new with Hall. The guy has performed at a probowl level multiple times in his career. The reason he doesn't have a job my, my guess at least, probably has to do with health. Hall has had injury problems over his career. But he has also been an excellent starter on many top notch NFL secondaries.
Key word has been, he is not that guy now or he would have a job.

You know who else has performed at a probowl level in his career?

Carr.

And I bet Carr would have a job before Hall if he was on the market.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Now, apparently, Jack Crawford is visiting the Jets, too. I really would like for him to re-sign here.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Now, apparently, Jack Crawford is visiting the Jets, too. I really would like for him to re-sign here.
Eh I don't really care. If he goes it's time for other young guys to continue to develop and step up like he did. Guys like Russel and Irving. Plus we should probably draft another 3 technique. If not in the first then Sheldon Day is about as good of a fit for our defense as you can find.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
Eh I don't really care. If he goes it's time for other young guys to continue to develop and step up like he did. Guys like Russel and Irving. Plus we should probably draft another 3 technique. If not in the first then Sheldon Day is about as good of a fit for our defense as you can find.
Yeah, I'm not losing any sleep if he doesn't come back, either. No big loss.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
I feel like lots of people say Sheldon Day is more of a Day 3 guy.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I feel like lots of people say Sheldon Day is more of a Day 3 guy.
I doubt that he lasts until day 3 but it's possible. After his dominant Senior Bowl I'm guessing he is looking as the second/third range. So basically day 2 of the draft. If he was sitting around with our high third rounder, I'd be all for it. I think he is a perfect 3 technique/end. Basically the perfect backup to Crawford who can provide some pass rush this year and possibly move into the starting lineup down the road.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I'd be fine with Day in the 3rd and definitely the 4th, certainly not a consideration at 34 though.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Tim Lelito expected back with Saints after passing on Cowboys offer

Posted by Josh Alper on April 4, 2016, 11:34 AM EDT

The Cowboys signed defensive end Benson Mayowa this offseason and it seems he wasn’t the only restricted free agent to catch their eye in the last few weeks.

Guard Tim Lelito got an original-round tender from the Saints before free agency opened, leaving him available to sign an offer sheet with other teams without any draft pick compensation going back to New Orleans if they opted not to match. Lelito said the Cowboys extended him an offer, but that he passed on it because he didn’t want to resign himself to life as a reserve in Dallas.

“You have to weigh your options and it’s a gamble,” Lelito said, via WWL. “So you can go somewhere else and be a backup for a couple years with less money or you can try to go into a one-year tender and do the best you can and hopefully come out with a little better contract after it.”

Lelito hasn’t signed his $1.67 million tender yet, but expects to return to the Saints barring a late (and unlikely) offer that trumps it in terms of money and opportunity. Lelito started 13 games for the Saints last year and his chances of remaining with the first team don’t look bad with Jahri Evans out of the picture and no new arrivals at guard in free agency.

So, we're shopping for guards? They feel good about moving Collins or Martin outside, I assume.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
Tim Lelito expected back with Saints after passing on Cowboys offer

Posted by Josh Alper on April 4, 2016, 11:34 AM EDT

The Cowboys signed defensive end Benson Mayowa this offseason and it seems he wasn’t the only restricted free agent to catch their eye in the last few weeks.

Guard Tim Lelito got an original-round tender from the Saints before free agency opened, leaving him available to sign an offer sheet with other teams without any draft pick compensation going back to New Orleans if they opted not to match. Lelito said the Cowboys extended him an offer, but that he passed on it because he didn’t want to resign himself to life as a reserve in Dallas.

“You have to weigh your options and it’s a gamble,” Lelito said, via WWL. “So you can go somewhere else and be a backup for a couple years with less money or you can try to go into a one-year tender and do the best you can and hopefully come out with a little better contract after it.”

Lelito hasn’t signed his $1.67 million tender yet, but expects to return to the Saints barring a late (and unlikely) offer that trumps it in terms of money and opportunity. Lelito started 13 games for the Saints last year and his chances of remaining with the first team don’t look bad with Jahri Evans out of the picture and no new arrivals at guard in free agency.

So, we're shopping for guards? They feel good about moving Collins or Martin outside, I assume.
maybe he can play center?

Top Bottom