2015 College Football Chatter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
The underlying factor for most is that with the current number everyone plays everyone so if there is a conference champion at the end of the season it is essentially the same result. So far most AD's and Coaches feel the same about it. At the same time they also feel if they expand the team's further they will entertain the conference championship game again.
That makes no sense. They need a championship game, period.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
That makes no sense. They need a championship game, period.
If they want to be a major player in the current playoff system, it would be in their best interest.

Oklahoma got lucky they beat who they did, when they did.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
As a question, if a, team wins the conference what does it matter? The conference's have a playoff because all the teams do not meet during the season. It is a way of declaring the ultimate conference champion. Other than playing an additional game what benefit is it for a conference champion to play again?

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
As a question, if a, team wins the conference what does it matter? The conference's have a playoff because all the teams do not meet during the season. It is a way of declaring the ultimate conference champion. Other than playing an additional game what benefit is it for a conference champion to play again?
I think it does. Especially when most that may qualify for the playoffs have won their respective conferences decisively with wins in a championship game, then you have one from the Big 12 that did not have to play that extra game.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
They have enough now but refuse to go to it.
They don't have enough for a conference title game.

I read somewhere that you had to have at least 12 teams. I'll have to double check but I distinctly remember reading that somewhere.

1bigfan13

Staff member
Here. You go. So now you guys can quit bitching about the Big 12 not having a conference title game. Until we add 2 more teams it can't happen, per NCAA rules.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/writer/dennis-dodd/25175404/no-conference-championship-game-for-big-12-commissioner-says

The conference continues to support deregulation that would allow the league to sponsor a championship game with less than the currently NCAA-mandated 12-team minimum. That change is expected to pass with little opposition in time for the 2016 season.

1bigfan13

Staff member
If they want to be a major player in the current playoff system, it would be in their best interest.

Oklahoma got lucky they beat who they did, when they did.
The conference backloaded the marque matchups on purpose in order to make up for their lack of a CCG and it worked.

They'll have to continue to do that until they are able to get a CCG put into place.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
The conference backloaded the marque matchups on purpose in order to make up for their lack of a CCG and it worked.

They'll have to continue to do that until they are able to get a CCG put into place.
And I thinks that hurts their bid. They got their best games when attrition was a factor.

I think this just lends doubt to their credibility and I agree with it, even if the only way to resolve it is to beat OSU or Baylor again.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Very impressed that Florida has managed to hang around this long.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Twice in this game Hargreaves has misplayed a terribly underthrown ball from Coker and it resulted in a big play.

If he's the best CB in this class, we better not think he is the next Deion.

1bigfan13

Staff member
And I thinks that hurts their bid. They got their best games when attrition was a factor.

I think this just lends doubt to their credibility and I agree with it, even if the only way to resolve it is to beat OSU or Baylor again.
Alabama didn't lose credibility for beating #2 LSU early in the year even after it was later proven that LSU isn't that good. Also, tonight Alabama is beating up on a team with a retard at QB who could barely put up points against FAU & Vandy. Should we question their credibility as well?

So I fail to see how Oklahoma's schedule/record should be scrutinized more than other teams.

1bigfan13

Staff member
Didn't the Big 10 only have 11 schools in it up until a few years ago? How did they have a championship game?
The BIG 10 CCG has only been around since 2011. That's the year they added Nebraska to make it an even 12 team conference.

Last edited:

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member

1bigfan13

Staff member
Twice in this game Hargreaves has misplayed a terribly underthrown ball from Coker and it resulted in a big play.

If he's the best CB in this class, we better not think he is the next Deion.
We're trading a 2nd rounder to move up 2 spots to draft him. Just wait for it.

1bigfan13

Staff member
I dont care what the rules are. They have enough to have one and even if they wanted to they could have expanded by now to get one.
I'm all for them having one as well.

I wonder why the NCAA put that 12 team conference rule in place. 10 teams is certainly enough. Two 5 teams divisions would work.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
So I fail to see how Oklahoma's schedule/record should be scrutinized more than other teams.
Douche factor.

This is like Mark Sanchez douche factor.

Yes, I am trolling and fucking with you.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Didn't the Big 10 only have 11 schools in it up until a few years ago? How did they have a championship game?
The big 10 didn't have a conference championship game until 2011.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom