2016 College Football Chatter

Status
Not open for further replies.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
I've been to a game in Tuscaloosa and Baton Rouge over the last three years, I've talked with plenty of people down there about this stuff. They're great people, but the overt racism is there, often times it's subconscious. Most of my post was directed towards staunch SEC fans who have never left their hometown, don't know a thing about the NFL or even much of college football outside of the SEC and weave these fairytales about what college football is about, when in my opinion it's basically a cesspool, as that article described.
Okay. I get that. Thanks for the follow up. And by the way I also prefer the NFL.

D

Deuce

I had a problem with two things from last night’s rankings.

1. It looks like the CFB playoff committee is going out of its way to put Michigan in position to get into the playoffs. I think the winner of the Big 10 Championship Game is far more deserving to get in than the Wolverines.

2. I had a problem with the committee not dropping Florida and Auburn. Both teams got smacked over the weekend yet Florida stays at 15 and Auburn drops a single spot. Once again it seems like the humans are putting more stock in program prestige and name recognition rather than on the field results/production.

I don’t even want to go to 8 because we’ll have the same problems. Teams 9-15 will get screwed because of the same biases.

This is another reason why I prefer the NFL over CFB. In the NFL you don’t get screwed out of the playoffs just because your name is Jacksonville and not Pittsburgh. You earn your way in based on on-field production and don’t have to worry about a committee passing you over just because they’re concerned about ticket sales, market appeal, and TV ratings.
I agree with you on Michigan. They are a 2 loss team that won't win a conference title. No reason they should be in the discussion. Now, I don't think they get in unless Washington or Clemson fumble their opportunity away. But they shouldn't be the first bubble team.

Auburn and UF really don't matter. The rankings outside of the top 7 or 8 are all that matter at this time. UF will go to the Peach or Outback Bowl and nobody outside of Gainesville will care.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Just saw Kirby Northcutt on ESPN trying to justify the Big 10 placements. I wasn't too much persuaded about their justification.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I agree with you on Michigan. They are a 2 loss team that won't win a conference title. No reason they should be in the discussion. Now, I don't think they get in unless Washington or Clemson fumble their opportunity away. But they shouldn't be the first bubble team.

Auburn and UF really don't matter. The rankings outside of the top 7 or 8 are all that matter at this time. UF will go to the Peach or Outback Bowl and nobody outside of Gainesville will care.
Michigan will be jumped by the winner of the Big Ten Championship game. They just won't do it until that team actually wins the game. Which means if Washington or Clemson slip up you're probably looking at 2 Big 10 teams in the playoffs with an outside chance that a Big 12 team crashes the party.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Michigan will be jumped by the winner of the Big Ten Championship game. They just won't do it until that team actually wins the game. Which means if Washington or Clemson slip up you're probably looking at 2 Big 10 teams in the playoffs with an outside chance that a Big 12 team crashes the party.
I don't think the Big 12 is being given any consideration. The committee dropped them a position in the standings. I think this was a move to make it almost impossible for them to be given further consideration.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I don't think the Big 12 is being given any consideration. The committee dropped them a position in the standings. I think this was a move to make it almost impossible for them to be given further consideration.
They usually love them some Oklahoma though. The rest of the Big 12, not so much.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
They usually love them some Oklahoma though. The rest of the Big 12, not so much.
I’m perfectly happy with Oklahoma getting passed over. They don’t deserve consideration after getting hammered by Houston & Ohio State. And on top of that the conference is pretty bad, so steamrolling through the Big 12 shouldn’t impress anyone.

The Big 12 desperately needs for the Longhorns to be relevant again. I’m not completely sold on Herman but I hope he can get the job done. He lost a lot of luster in my eyes with those losses to Memphis and SMU.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
I’m perfectly happy with Oklahoma getting passed over. They don’t deserve consideration after getting hammered by Houston & Ohio State. And on top of that the conference is pretty bad, so steamrolling through the Big 12 shouldn’t impress anyone.

The Big 12 desperately needs for the Longhorns to be relevant again. I’m not completely sold on Herman but I hope he can get the job done. He lost a lot of luster in my eyes with those losses to Memphis and SMU.
The truer test for the conference is yet to come in the post season. That should give a reflection as to the strength of the teams that make the bowl scene. There may be some surprises there.

Plan9Misfit

Appreciate The Hate
I agree. The committee is probably trying to secure a spot for Michigan in the Rose Bowl.

dallen

Senior Tech
This is why I'm such a strong Bielema supporter. We might not ever win the SEC West with him as our coach, and I'm OK with that. He does things the right way and cares more about the people than the wins while still fielding a pretty damn tough football team. Like I said earlier in the season, we might not be good enough to beat every team in the SEC, but we're good enough to beat any team in the SEC. And as long as he's doing the right things, I'll support him.

dallen

Senior Tech
Maybe that's why we'll never win a championship. We sold our souls to win with Petrino, and it didn't guarantee a damn thing in that regard. With Bielema no matter the final result I feel proud of the team we put out every year.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Well the conference championship weekend is rolling around and it is somewhat paradoxical. With all the rhetoric from the CFP Committee about conferences who didn't have a playoff were not well viewed and yet the playoff committee has made some really strange moves to the CFP playoffs candidates. Three conferences have teams playing that the teams are not in close contention to the CFP System. In fact some of the teams in contention are not even playing in the conference championships. Its seems a little strange then for the committee to put so much emphasis on a Conference championships and then place teams not eligible for them in the National system.

Why then is it really important for the committee to stress the conference championship as an intricate part of the CFP consideration? Strange year.

Last edited:
D

Deuce

Well the conference championship weekend is rolling around and it is somewhat paradoxical. With all the rhetoric from the CFP Committee about conferences who didn't have a playoff were not well viewed and yet the playoff committee has made some really strange moves to the CFP playoffs candidates. Three conferences have teams playing that the teams are not in close contention to the CFP System. In fact some of the teams in contention are not even playing in the conference championships. Its seems a little strange then for the committee to put so much emphasis on a Conference championships and then place teams not eligible for them in the National system.

Why then is it really important for the committee to stress the conference championship as an intricate part of the CFP consideration? Strange year.
I think a lot of it had to do with forcing the Big 12 to add another quality opponent to their schedules. When Baylor missed out a few years ago, their schedule was a joke. At least being forced to play TCU would have showed they earned a spot.

As for this year, Washington demolishing the #8 team cements their spot. Clemson will probably do the same tonight and then we're set. Even an upset to Bama will o my drop them to 4.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
Who's ready for some Big 12 Bedlam action? :towel

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
I think a lot of it had to do with forcing the Big 12 to add another quality opponent to their schedules. When Baylor missed out a few years ago, their schedule was a joke. At least being forced to play TCU would have showed they earned a spot.

As for this year, Washington demolishing the #8 team cements their spot. Clemson will probably do the same tonight and then we're set. Even an upset to Bama will o my drop them to 4.
The big 10 has a championship game but the two teams in the CFP top 4 from that conference they won't play in their conference championship game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom