Crisp: Jerry Says He'd Consider Bringing Josh Brent Back

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Jerry Says He'd Consider Bringing Josh Brent Back

Josh Brent was recently released from jail after serving five months for intoxication manslaughter

By Scott Crisp

| Thursday, Jul 24, 2014 | Updated 11:56 AM CDT

Cowboys owner Jerry Jones believes former defensive tackle Josh Brent is deserving of another opportunity in the NFL and he says he would consider bringing the 26-year-old back.

"We have stood with Josh Brent from the very beginning and continue to," Jones said, per ESPN Dallas. "Josh Brent deserves an opportunity. He has made a terrible mistake. He knows it. I know firsthand he has contrition. I know that. And so, yes, I will consider giving him an opportunity."

Brent was just recently released from jail after serving five months for intoxication manslaughter, stemming from the December 2012 single-car wreck that killed his teammate and best friend, Jerry Brown, Jr. At the beginning of training camp last year, Brent retired from the game, meaning he’d have to file reinstatement papers with the league if a comeback is in the cards.

"I think we go to ask the other side of the question," Jones added. "Do you get a chance to start over? Do we believe in paying your dues and getting a chance to start over? That's the other side of that. Principally in this country, we believe in giving an opportunity to pay your dues and pay your penalty and move forward. I don't know the detail of where he is or on what basis we even have to consider him rejoining the team, but it will be certainly be something I consider."

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
At this point, WGAS? I was adamant at one point about not wanting him back, but now I'm just kinda meh.

Plan9Misfit

Appreciate The Hate
What's irritating is that our mindless collection of drooling retards probably planned their draft strategy around that idea. Why waste the time looking to draft a DT early when we can bring Brent back and stuff?

Fucking idiots.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
I don't think that was the case just observing the number of defensive payers that were drafted.

Cotton

Staff member

Cotton

Staff member
Ken Bishop is a one tech, as in Terrell McClain.

If both of them pan out that is enough to push Hayden off the roster.
We will see on McClain. I don't think he translates to a 1-tech in the NFL. And, Bishop? Come on, man.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
We will see on McClain. I don't think he translates to a 1-tech in the NFL. And, Bishop? Come on, man.
Hey, I have high hopes for those late round picks this year, until they all flame out, 2009 style.

I hated the trade up value and then our fourth round selection so much that I'm reduced to pretending Bishop, Gardner, Mitchell and Dixon all become legit contributors. I'm already prepared to right off Hitchens a la Kyle Wilber and Will Smith as a wasted pick.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Wilber is going to start for us and looked decent down the strech last year so there's that.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Josh Brent has always been on Jerry's radar.

Wilber is going to start for us and looked decent down the strech last year so there's that.
I like Wilber. The change from 3-4 to 4-3 slowed his development, but I think he'll be fine at SAM.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
Hey, I have high hopes for those late round picks this year, until they all flame out, 2009 style.

I hated the trade up value and then our fourth round selection so much that I'm reduced to pretending Bishop, Gardner, Mitchell and Dixon all become legit contributors. I'm already prepared to right off Hitchens a la Kyle Wilber and Will Smith as a wasted pick.
Watch your mouf, Smitty!

Carp

DCC 4Life
McClain is absolutely a 1 tech...he is seeing some 3 tech time now, but when Melton is back up and running McClain is the 1.

Carp

DCC 4Life
As far as Brent goes - I honestly don't care.
I don't either, but if he does come back it is not like we are bringing back some supreme talent...it is Josh Brent.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
I don't either, but if he does come back it is not like we are bringing back some supreme talent...it is Josh Brent.
Agreed. But if he is able to push one of the scrubs off the roster, (looking at you, Nick Hayden) bring him in.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Agreed. But if he is able to push one of the scrubs off the roster, (looking at you, Nick Hayden) bring him in.
Marinelli has anointed Hayden with his nickname. He's not going anywhere.

Cotton

Staff member
S Barry Church says Dallas Cowboys defense would welcome back DT Josh Brent: ‘We need all the help we can get’
By Brandon George / Reporter bgeorge@dallasnews.com
5:48 pm on July 28, 2014 | Permalink

OXNARD, Calif. — To start training camp Wednesday, Dallas Cowboys owner Jerry Jones said he’d be open to former defensive tackle Josh Brent returning once he’s completed his 45 days of rehabilitation.

Cowboys safety Barry Church says his teammates would also welcome back Brent.

“If they open the door for him, I’m opening my arms,” Church said. “I can’t wait.”

Brent was released from jail June 15 following his conviction for a drunken car crash that killed his friend and teammates, Jerry Brown Jr. Brent was convicted in January of intoxication manslaughter for the December 2012 crash that killed Brown, a practice squad linebacker. Brent was sentenced to 180 days in jail and 10 years of probation. He was released and allowed to spend the final 45 days of his six-month sentence in rehabilitation.

Brent is scheduled to finish his rehabilitation this week. He would have to apply for reinstatement into the league and could face additional discipline for NFL commissioner Roger Goodell.

Church, a good friend of Brent’s who was out partying with him on the night of the crash, visited with Brent for about 45 minutes one day while he was still jailed.

Church said he hasn’t talked to Brent since his release but always knew he’d return to the NFL.

“I’m looking forward to it,” Church said. “I just hope they don’t give him a yearlong suspension or something like that.”

Church said Brent won’t be in football shape when he arrives for training camp, but said he didn’t look out of shape when he talked to Brent while he was in jail.

“He seemed like the same size guy,” Church said. “I didn’t really get a good gauge for the shape he was in, but he didn’t lose any muscle mass or seem like he was getting fat or anything like that. If I know Josh, he’s been pumping iron and doing everything he can to stay in shape.

“Once he gets out here, I’m sure he’ll be able to help our defense in the middle of that line. We need all the help we can get.” :lol

Jiggyfly

Banned
What's so funny about that? Brent would be the best 1 technique immediately if he played at the level he did before the accident.

Brent was playing very well before the accident he was not some scrub as others are saying, he could be a huge addition to this defense.

Top Bottom