Coach Firing/Hiring Thread...

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Joe Banner was on Mike&Mike this morning talking Browns and their plan to follow a more analytics approach. Makes sense they would hire a baseball guy to advise.
It's interesting but I'm not sure that the application will work nearly as well for football. Just because baseball is a lot of individual play. In the NFL every players statistics are dependent on another players. A QB is dependent on the O-line and his WRs. A RB is dependent on his offensive line. A DB relies on pressure. Sacks rely on good coverage.

On the other hand in baseball a hitter is basically up at that plate all alone. A fielder is the only guy fielding that ball.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
It's interesting but I'm not sure that the application will work nearly as well for football. Just because baseball is a lot of individual play. In the NFL every players statistics are dependent on another players. A QB is dependent on the O-line and his WRs. A RB is dependent on his offensive line. A DB relies on pressure. Sacks rely on good coverage.

On the other hand in baseball a hitter is basically up at that plate all alone. A fielder is the only guy fielding that ball.
I think if you look at the tape hard enough and have enough understanding of the system a guy is in, you can tell how many times a WR is getting open, for instance, without worrying about whether the QB got him the ball.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
Not that ridiculous when you consider he had Drew Brees pretty much the whole year and only managed to go 7-9.
I'd like to think you realize there is more to a team than just the QB. Our defense alone is better than the Saints. Then there is the Oline...

Edit: Fuck. I should have read the rest of the thread and not given him another response. Sorry.

Last edited:

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

Cotton

Staff member

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Get rid of Coughlin then interview those two coordinators? Okay then.

I get the Gase thing, he's the belle of the ball right now.

Cotton

Staff member
Get rid of Coughlin then interview those two coordinators? Okay then.

I get the Gase thing, he's the belle of the ball right now.
Didn't Gase interview with a few teams last year, too, or am I recalling incorrectly?

Cotton

Staff member

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Didn't Gase interview with a few teams last year, too, or am I recalling incorrectly?
Yeah but that was before he got credit for "fixing" Cutler this year.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
And Grigson still keeps his job. Big time scapegoating.

Cotton

Staff member

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Gase doesn't impress me really, he's a decent candidate but what has he really done?

Pretend that he was an OC for a few years while Manning did the heavy lifting and then help Cutler and the Bears have an average season?

Great.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I feel sorry for these token Rooney rule interview guys.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
Assistant coach sweep. McCoy stays. Get ready for something of the same in Dallas.
The way Jason Garrett has been talking, we may not even get that.

Last edited:

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member
Good. Maybe DePodesta will talk the Browns management into keep Manziel as their closer.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gase doesn't impress me really, he's a decent candidate but what has he really done?

Pretend that he was an OC for a few years while Manning did the heavy lifting and then help Cutler and the Bears have an average season?

Great.
Probably the best season of Cutler's career. So there is that. Kind of shows that maybe those Manning years weren't all just Manning. I think Gase is a pretty good coach.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member

Great Red Raider but he got Rooney Ruled.

Top Bottom