Prospects Dallas Has Shown Interest In - 2015

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
NFL sources told TFY Draft Insider's Tony Pauline that South Carolina RB Mike Davis' conditioning was "not ideal" at his pro day workout.
"Davis was not running through drills and struggled to get through pass-catching drills," Pauline wrote. "Interesting note - the Dallas Cowboys sent a coach to specifically observe Davis. During the workout, which was run by the Tampa Bay Bucs, the Cowboys' coach was requesting for Davis to run specific drills. Shades of Tom Savage/Bill O'Brien from last year?" One would think Dallas takes a superior RB prospect earlier in the draft, but keep this note in mind if they pass on runners in the first few rounds.

Source: Walter Football

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
That Martin kid looks decent in that video for what I assume is a 6th-UDFA type of prospect, explosive and athletic, looks good working downhill but he needs to stop tackling so high.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Ohio State WR Devin Smith among the players to visit Cowboys on Thursday

David Moore Follow @DavidMooreDMN Email dmoore@dallasnews.com

Published: April 9, 2015 6:23 pm

The third wave of college players has hit Valley Ranch.

Each club can host up to 30 players on national visits. So far, the names of 22 players who have met with the Cowboys have filtered out. That doesn’t include Friday’s Dallas Day when the club hosts prospects from the area.

Running backs and defensive ends top the list. At least six from each of those positions visited Valley Ranch this week. But one of the more interesting names on hand Thursday was Devin Smith, the big-play receiver from Ohio State.

Cornerbacks have also been popular. Two that we had listed earlier in the week – Florida State’s Ronald Darby and Quinten Rollins of Miami (OH) – have been removed since those were individual sessions and they didn’t visit this week. But Connecticut’s Byron Jones and Florida State’s P.J. Williams did.

Here’s the list:

Running back (6) – Todd Gurley, Georgia, Melvin Gordon, Wisconsin, Tevin Coleman, Indiana, Jay Ajayi, Boise State, T. J. Yeldon, Alabama, Javorius Allen, USC.

Defensive end (6) – Owa Odighizuwa, UCLA, Danielle Hunter, LSU, Bud Dupree, Kentucky, Mario Edwards, Florida State, Eli Harold, Virginia, Frank Clark, Michigan.

Linebacker (4) – Eric Kendricks, UCLA, Benardrick McKinney, Mississippi State, Shaq Thompson, Washington, Gabe Martin, Bowling Green.

Cornerback (4) – Kevin Johnson, Wake Forest, Byron Jones, Connecticut, P.J. Williams, Florida State, Josh Shaw, USC.

Safety (1) – Damarious Randall, Arizona State.

Receiver (1) – Devin Smith, Ohio State.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
So Darby and Rollins visited as well, just not this week?

Sure are alot of CB's on that list, at least Johnson and maybe Jones are the only 1st round types, the rest look to be 2nd rounders or later. At this point I'd be very happy if we just don't take one in the 1st, I know damn good and well that we are going to take one in the first 3 rounds, I just hope it's the 2nd or 3rd.

I bet we view guys like Edwards and Clark as strongside DE types who can play the upfield, gap shooting technique in passing situations next to Crawford.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
So Darby and Rollins visited as well, just not this week?
They were individual workouts that couldn't make it this week.

They ended up bringing in Jones and P.J. Williams.

I bet we view guys like Edwards and Clark as strongside DE types who can play the upfield, gap shooting technique in passing situations next to Crawford.
Seems to me that they want a SDE. That guy would play next to ~snicker~ Hayden.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
It really is ludicrous that we aren't bringing in any DT's to visit. I realize Crawford is pretty legit, but other than him, what do we have?

McClain? Brent? Hayden? Bishop? Coleman?

It's one thing to say we devalue the 1 technique and think we can get by with Brent, Hayden, McClain or whoever playing it, I don't totally disagree, but I really would like to see us look to add another interior pass rusher type, someone like Xavier Cooper, Michael Bennett or Grady Jarrett.

I guess one could argue that guys like Edwards, Clark and even Odighizuwa or Dupree could line up on the interior in nickel/dime situations but if something happens to Crawford what is our plan at the 3 in base situations?

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
It really is ludicrous that we aren't bringing in any DT's to visit. I realize Crawford is pretty legit, but other than him, what do we have?

McClain? Brent? Hayden? Bishop? Coleman?

It's one thing to say we devalue the 1 technique and think we can get by with Brent, Hayden, McClain or whoever playing it, I don't totally disagree, but I really would like to see us look to add another interior pass rusher type, someone like Xavier Cooper, Michael Bennett or Grady Jarrett.

I guess one could argue that guys like Edwards, Clark and even Odighizuwa or Dupree could line up on the interior in nickel/dime situations but if something happens to Crawford what is our plan at the 3 in base situations?
Add to that, Crawford is unrestricted next year.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Wow, seems like we really are taking drafting a QB seriously this year. My only concern is how much I think this class sucks. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if we don't see more then 1 long term starter out of this draft.

GForce78NJ

Not So New Member
NFLDraftCountdown has us going Shaq Thompson, Michael Bennett, Duke Johnson. I'd sincerely hate that.

D

Deuce

Not sold on Shaq but the other 2 would be nice in those rounds.
I agree. I get what people are saying about Duke and he isn't my first choice, but he's still a quality player and a nice value in the 3rd. We could do a lot worse at RB than him.

Shaq, I just don't get.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I agree. I get what people are saying about Duke and he isn't my first choice, but he's still a quality player and a nice value in the 3rd. We could do a lot worse at RB than him.

Shaq, I just don't get.
A super athletic guy who is a perfect fit for WLBer in this defense.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
That, or he's a guy who will get crushed at the next level because he has never played at over 220lbs.
The guy weighed in at 219 lbs near the end of his season. I'm sure he weighed more then that to start the season. At the combine he came in at 228 lbs. Most guys put weight on when they enter the NFL, so lets not be an extremest here. The guy is a freak athlete and tremendous in coverage. The biggest requirement in our defensive system is that the weakside LBer is a stud in coverage.

Top Bottom