DMN: The five best Dallas Cowboys QBs of all time, ranked: Where do Staubach, Aikman

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
And some faded memories. Or maybe they are just too young to remember. But, Aikman was one of the most accurate passers the league has ever seen. And, Staubach just about had it all going for him.
Lot of fans nowadays never saw them actually play so they look at stat lines without realizing it was a different game then

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
Actually, I was talking about the reply tweet stating that Romo was the best ever. That other guy (Zeke the Gawd) is actually pretty level-headed on most stuff.
I don't agree with Zeke (and can't take him serious with that Twitter handle) and I think the other guy is off his rocker.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

Rev

Staff member
Our fan base. Do we have to claim them?

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP

I bet he's the type of fan who gets loud at the stadium when we're on offense

Cotton

Staff member
Our fan base. Do we have to claim them?
I didn't even reply to the guy. You aren't going to talk sense into stupid.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
Guys like that either weren't born yet or were too young to appreciate Aikman. They simply very rarely asked Aikman to throw that much. The team's strategy was frequently to throw early and run a lot in the second half.

When he threw he was very precise. Aikman to Irvin and Aikman to Novacek were nearly unstoppable.

Anyone who says Aikman was shit and only good in the playoffs is a clueless moron.

UncleMilti

This seemed like a good idea at the time.
Staff member
White took over a much better team, and had better coaching. Give me Romo over White, too.
I'm with ya.

I always look at these polls as a question of "who would you take if you had one game you simply had to win".

Its hard to compare rings, stats, etc because all these QB's played in very different eras. And coaching is a huge impact across the board.

But..you gotta win that one big game, who do you pick?

So in my opinion, its Staubach, Aikman, Romo, White and Meredith.

UncleMilti

This seemed like a good idea at the time.
Staff member
I didn't even reply to the guy. You aren't going to talk sense into stupid.
I gotta get on board with Twitter. I just don't really know what I'm doing yet.

:unsure

Jiggyfly

Banned
I take White over Romo he did not melt under pressure as much as Romo has done.

And he would never go off the reservation.

Romo still has a chance to pass him and I agree Garrett has done no favors.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
I'm with ya.

I always look at these polls as a question of "who would you take if you had one game you simply had to win".

Its hard to compare rings, stats, etc because all these QB's played in very different eras. And coaching is a huge impact across the board.

But..you gotta win that one big game, who do you pick?

So in my opinion, its Staubach, Aikman, Romo, White and Meredith.
I would put Romo ahead of Aikman as far as pure QB skills. He has after all had the best position production of any QB in Dallas history.

townsend

Banned
Romo's durability has to hurt his rating. We had several seasons die because he was nursing an injury or already on IR by the end of the season. 2011, 2012, and 2013 could have ended with us in the playoffs if it weren't for his back. Obviously last year was the best example. I feel like it was a factor in the Green Bay playoff loss as well. So conservatively about 2/3rds of his seasons have ended due, at least in part, to his lack of durability.

Rev

Staff member
I would put Romo ahead of Aikman as far as pure QB skills. He has after all had the best position production of any QB in Dallas history.
Different system. Give Romo that same system and you won't see the numbers that you see now. Aikman was by far the better QB of the two. He just didn't have to throw because we had a superior defense and running game.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Different system. Give Romo that same system and you won't see the numbers that you see now. Aikman was by far the better QB of the two. He just didn't have to throw because we had a superior defense and running game.
Ummmmmmh, Not the way I see it. Aikman was very limited in mobility and cannot be considered as versatile as Romo. Romo is better at finding secondary receiver reads.

Cotton

Staff member
This is correct.

Cotton

Staff member
Ummmmmmh, Not the way I see it. Aikman was very limited in mobility and cannot be considered as versatile as Romo. Romo is better at finding secondary receiver reads.
Aikman didn't need them. He could thread a needle with a football and a ball of yarn.

dallen

Senior Tech
I liked White, but Romo has done more with less. If Danny White had had the offensive lines Tony has had to deal with, he would have gotten killed.
Same. I'd go:

Staubach
Aikman
Romo
White
Meredith
Ryan Leaf

Top Bottom