Week 16 Gameday Chatter | Colts vs. Cowboys | 12/21/2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

BipolarFuk

Demoted
No shit. I have to give Merinelli all the props in the world. He only had scrubs to work with and whipped them in shape. That's a real coach right there who can get his players to respond to him the way this group has. He would be a good candidate for a HC gig somewhere.
Hopefully that 0-16 season in Detroit keeps Marenelli our DC for a while.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
So after all these years of us believing this team will never be good again til they change ownership, it turns out that a change in DCC ownership is what fuels this run.

Props to [MENTION=19]skidadl[/MENTION] and [MENTION=39]UncleMilti[/MENTION]
:lol :towel

Genghis Khan

Hopefully that 0-16 season in Detroit keeps Marenelli our DC for a while.
He's a retread at this point and he's getting old too. I'd be pretty surprised if he's a candidate anywhere even.

Especially since, while he's done a good job, it's still only the 20th or whatever ranked defense.

He would be a tough sell to a team's fanbase as a HC.

He's not going anywhere.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
:lol at Bennett

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
Well, I missed it. That changes things. Hate it.
I don't have a problem with it.

I've been one of the biggest critics of this team when it comes to getting ahead of themselves or setting the bar low, but I don't think this is a case of them being satisfied or feeling like they've made it.

This was more about the players celebrating for Garrett, IMO. While it was deserved, Garrett has caught a lot of shit over the last 3 years and I think a lot of those players are happy for him. He's got them to buy into his message and they genuinely like him, so I think they were just trying to give him a moment.

Crazy to think it, but he's a legit coach of the year candidate. He and Arians are the only two who belong in the discussion.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
If Arians wins tonight with Ryan friggin Lindley at qb he's a shoe-in for it imo

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member
He's a retread at this point and he's getting old too. I'd be pretty surprised if he's a candidate anywhere even.

Especially since, while he's done a good job, it's still only the 20th or whatever ranked defense.

He would be a tough sell to a team's fanbase as a HC.

He's not going anywhere.
Hope you're right. And funny how it worked out. If not for the bonehead decision to make old man Kiffin DC, Marinelli would've never came here as DL coach and ultimately DC.

Genghis Khan

I don't have a problem with it.

I've been one of the biggest critics of this team when it comes to getting ahead of themselves or setting the bar low, but I don't think this is a case of them being satisfied or feeling like they've made it.

This was more about the players celebrating for Garrett, IMO. While it was deserved, Garrett has caught a lot of shit over the last 3 years and I think a lot of those players are happy for him. He's got them to buy into his message and they genuinely like him, so I think they were just trying to give him a moment.

Crazy to think it, but he's a legit coach of the year candidate. He and Arians are the only two who belong in the discussion.
I agree, though I would put Caldwell in the discussion as well.

Arians should win it just for the QB situation though.

But the Gatorade doesn't bother me. It's been quite a hump this team had to get over through the past few years.

I'm just glad they weren't acting like they won the super bowl or something.

Genghis Khan

Hope you're right. And funny how it worked out. If not for the bonehead decision to make old man Kiffin DC, Marinelli would've never came here as DL coach and ultimately DC.
True, and thankfully lovie smith didn't steal him.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
I agree, though I would put Caldwell in the discussion as well.

Arians should win it just for the QB situation though.

But the Gatorade doesn't bother me. It's been quite a hump this team had to get over through the past few years.

I'm just glad they weren't acting like they won the super bowl or something.
Yea, I'd give it to Arians too. But whether you credit him or not, Garrett does oversee a team that was considered league wide to be one of the 5 worst teams in football coming into the season, so he deserves some recognition for this team winning a division title.

And i agree about the celebration. They've convinced me that they have big aspirations this year and they are determined to get as far as they can, so I don't think the Gatorade bath was indicative of them being satisfied or whatever.

townsend

Banned
I think the personality of key players, particularly the evolution of Bryant/Scandrick, and the addition of McClain have changed the personality of this team, we're fighters. Garrett was here when it happened. Credit to him for helping keep the locker room sterile until the right people showed up. We jettisoned every malignant personality that surfaced on this team (look out Claiborne).

Genghis Khan

I think the personality of key players, particularly the evolution of Bryant/Scandrick, and the addition of McClain have changed the personality of this team, we're fighters. Garrett was here when it happened. Credit to him for helping keep the locker room sterile until the right people showed up. We jettisoned every malignant personality that surfaced on this team (look out Claiborne).
I think you are giving Garrett way too much credit.

Also, I don't think Scandrick's and Bryant's personalities magically transformed this year.

Now McClain, I do think his attitude probably helped.

But ultimately, the biggest difference this year is in coaching. Linehan and Marinelli did wonders for this team. Particularly having a balanced offense.

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member
I think you are giving Garrett way too much credit.

Also, I don't think Scandrick's and Bryant's personalities magically transformed this year.

Now McClain, I do think his attitude probably helped.

But ultimately, the biggest difference this year is in coaching. Linehan and Marinelli did wonders for this team. Particularly having a balanced offense.
Yep. I don't see where Garrett adds anything. It's similar to when Switzer was here and the assistants that were holdovers from Jimmy's staff ran the show. Our only hope is to continue having solid coordinators and good drafts/personnel decisions. And much of that goes to Stephen having a larger role and listening to the staff/scout while Jerry's role in personnel has somewhat diminished. What a mess it'd have been if JJ went with Manziel instead of being pushed by the others in the room to take Martin. The more decisions like that and the fewer instances of Jerry trading our top 2 picks for someone like MoBust, the better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom