Free Agency/Cuts/Signings Chatter Thread...

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
Pat Angerer signs with Falcons

Posted by Josh Alper on July 22, 2014, 4:23 PM EDT

When the Falcons lost linebacker Sean Weatherspoon for the season, there were several veteran free agents mentioned as possible signings to shore up the team’s inside linebacker group.

Former Colt Pat Angerer was on that list and he worked out for the team on Tuesday. The workout apparently went well because Aaron Wilson of the Baltimore Sun reports that Angerer is the newest member of Atlanta’s roster.

Angerer ended the 2013 season on injured reserve after hurting his knee and required microfracture surgery to repair the injury. That kept him from shopping himself as a free agent this spring, but things have obviously progressed well enough to satisfy the Falcons.

Angerer, a second-round pick in 2010, played 54 games and made 39 starts during his time with the Colts. The Falcons have Paul Worrilow, Joplo Bartu and rookie Prince Shembo among the in-house options who will compete with Angerer to fill the starting linebacker jobs come the regular season.
------------------

This is a guy we should have looked at instead of McClain.
Instead of McClain? That guy was better last year than any of our starters at MLB will be this year. Look at him after cutting Durant's ass.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

Cotton

Staff member

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Wow. Didn't take them long to cave. He just started bitching recently.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member

I'd sign him right now.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard

I'd sign him right now.
Yeah.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Statement from Nicks:

“I’d like to thank the Buccaneers organization for working with me as I have attempted to get myself back on the football field. However, after careful consideration, I have made the decision to step away from the game. This was by no means an easy decision, but I believe that it is what is best for me and my family as well as the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.

Statement from GM Jason Licht:

“I know this has been a difficult time for Carl and his family, but we respect his decision and thank him for his effort in trying to get back on the football field. Carl is a very prideful athlete and has been an elite level guard in the league. We are all disappointed that he will not be a part of this new chapter of Buccaneers football.”
It’s worth mentioning that Nicks hasn’t formally retired from the NFL, but that’s not to say it won’t happen at some point in the near future.
Nicks, 29, was one of a number of big-name signings the Buccaneers made a few years ago. Tampa Bay signed him to a five-year, $47.5 million contract that included $31 million guaranteed back in 2012, but Nicks wound up only playing nine games for the Buccaneers over the course of two seasons.

• The Buccaneers owned Nicks a $7 million base salary for the 2014 season and included $6 million guaranteed for injury with no offset language, according to Brian McIntyre.

• Tampa Bay wound up paying Nicks $25 million in total for nine games.

Nicks unfortunately struggled with a toe injury and an MRSA infection that required surgery and cost him most of the 2013 season.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
That has to break Schmitty's heart. That pretty much closes the book on the lesson about signing expensive free agents being "don't ever do it" at any position.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
That has to break Schmitty's heart. That pretty much closes the book on the lesson about signing expensive free agents being "don't ever do it" at any position.
It's too bad, but the guy got mrsa in TB and had other issues come up. Signing him over Carr was still the smarter move.

Of course, if the argument is, "don't give out big contracts at all," I could buy that in some ways.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
It's too bad, but the guy got mrsa in TB and had other issues come up. Signing him over Carr was still the smarter move.

Of course, if the argument is, "don't give out big contracts at all," I could buy that in some ways.
100 million contracts to cornerbacks, no.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
That is, almost what I was saying. I'm saying don't give out big contracts to free agents from another team. I'm not defending Carr's contract, I'm saying free agency is about getting guys who are still young at a low price for depth.

Cotton

Staff member

Cotton

Staff member

Carp

DCC 4Life
Texans cut Andre Brown...surprising...like him quite a bit.

Top Bottom