QB Controversy Thread...

UncleMilti

This seemed like a good idea at the time.
Staff member
I can't believe there are guys arguing that Romo should be reinstated as the starting QB.

He hasn't played a decent game since 2014 and I'm not sure why anyone would believe he's just going to come back on the field, flip a switch, and be the 2014 Romo again. The odds are simply against it.

Dak is a rookie, yes I think people are annointing him too early, but one thing is for sure...the guy spreads the ball to all the WR's, can make all the throws, and most importantly has really saved a few key drives by being able to move in the pocket and run when needed.

Dak keeps playing like he has, even with a couple bad games- I say he is still the best chance to win.

Romo is not taking us to the playoffs. Thats a fucking pipe dream.

All that is going to happen by Romo sitting Dak is its going to slow Daks development for next season, when he is starting because Romo has broken something again.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
I can't believe there are guys arguing that Romo should be reinstated as the starting QB.

He hasn't played a decent game since 2014 and I'm not sure why anyone would believe he's just going to come back on the field, flip a switch, and be the 2014 Romo again. The odds are simply against it.

Dak is a rookie, yes I think people are annointing him too early, but one thing is for sure...the guy spreads the ball to all the WR's, can make all the throws, and most importantly has really saved a few key drives by being able to move in the pocket and run when needed.

Dak keeps playing like he has, even with a couple bad games- I say he is still the best chance to win.

All that is going to happen by Romo sitting Dak is its going to slow Daks development for next season, when he is starting because Romo has broken something again.
Jimmy Johnson will put he hex on you.

UncleMilti

Staff member
Words from a man that most reasonable folks would agree knows what he is talking about.
Which Romo is Johnson talking about? 2014 Romo, or 7 INT, 1 fumble lost in 4 games played Romo from 2015?

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

Pretty much. Listen, Romo has a good career here. It's not taking anything from his legacy to leave the hot hand in. He is just old and injury prone. It's time for new blood, and Jerry just happen to get lucky enough to find it in the 4th round, looks like. Let the hot hand ride and let Tony mentor him.

UncleMilti

Staff member
Pretty much. Listen, Romo has a good career here. It's not taking anything from his legacy to leave the hot hand in. He is just old and injury prone. It's time for new blood, and Jerry just happen to get lucky enough to find it in the 4th round, looks like. Let the hot hand ride and let Tony mentor him.
If Romo had played 5-6 games last year and was burning it up like 2014 when he got hurt...hell yeah, I'm on the train waiting for him to get back.

But he sucked ass for the most part after getting hurt. He rushed back, and was simply pathetic against Carolina before mercifully being taken out for the year.

Yes he rehabbed, yes he supposedly looked good in the offseason...but history has shown with him when he misses time, he is not very good when he first gets back on the field. What if Dak has us at 5-3 when Romo is "ready" to come back? You'd have to be crazy to roll the dice on Romo....he's going to be coming in cold after a YEAR of not playing at speed on the football field.

D

Deuce

I think the world of Romo and its with love that I tell him to hit the bricks. This is a "What have you done for me lately?" league and he hasn't done anything in 2 calendar years. We were smart when we let both Demarcus and Murray go, and those were without actual competent replacements. Now we have a legit young stud to take his spot who's looking like he's poised to make a run in his rookie year. Ride the hot hand and hope it last 10 years like Tony did.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself

You saw Romo play in 4 games last year with a retardedly constructed running game, a hobbled Dez and a not fully healed clavicle in 2 of the games, and are declaring that he can't play anymore?

I think that's premature.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Which Romo is Johnson talking about? 2014 Romo, or 7 INT, 1 fumble lost in 4 games played Romo from 2015?
He was actually addressing the current controversy so I assume he is talking about the current Romo.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
You saw Romo play in 4 games last year with a retardedly constructed running game, a hobbled Dez and a not fully healed clavicle in 2 of the games, and are declaring that he can't play anymore?
The first two games of the season he wasn't super sharp either. Against the Giants he put up big numbers but he also threw 2 INTs. The Philly game he wasn't great and then obviously the Dolphins game wasn't great either with 2 more picks.

Now if he doesn't get hurt I think eventually Romo would have gotten in a groove. He tends to start season's a little slow. Which is why I'm concerned we will have the same issue if we bench Dak. The team that wins the turnover battle in the NFL wins the game the majority of the time. What Dak is doing in terms of not turning the ball over has led to our defense being 10 in points against.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
The first two games of the season he wasn't super sharp either. Against the Giants he put up big numbers but he also threw 2 INTs. The Philly game he wasn't great and then obviously the Dolphins game wasn't great either with 2 more picks.

Now if he doesn't get hurt I think eventually Romo would have gotten in a groove. He tends to start season's a little slow. Which is why I'm concerned we will have the same issue if we bench Dak. The team that wins the turnover battle in the NFL wins the game the majority of the time. What Dak is doing in terms of not turning the ball over has led to our defense being 10 in points against.
Didn't have Dez in the eagles game and half the Giants game. And had that waste of space Randle behind him.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life

Pretty sure at least 1 of those picks was off a tip/drop by the receiver, perhaps even both.

Smitty

DCC 4Life

Its more than premature. It's a tad foolish.

UncleMilti

Staff member

Actually I've seen Romo miss a ton of games, and show a knack for getting hurt.

That's really what the issue is.

UncleMilti

Staff member

kidd

DCC 4Life
I say it because I'm under the assumption that the only way we can win it all is if Romo can return to his 2014 form, which is obviously better than what Prescott is right now. If Prescott goes out and lights up the Bengals and Packers the next two weeks then that changes things but I'd be quite surprised if that happens.

We aren't the 2001 Patriots, we aren't the 2013 Seahawks, our defense is nowhere near that level and eventually if we want to compete for a title it will be on the back of the offense, and the offense will need 2014 Romo to compete at that level.

I also understand the organization wanting to give Romo one last shot. The franchise's future at QB is already secure and I totally get them wanting to see if Romo still has it for one last go around. Obviously if he struggles you have to pull him, but I get giving him the opportunity, it may be misguided but I totally get why they would do it.

I don't 100% agree with it but I'm willing to see what happens, either way we need to just take solace in the fact that we won't have to obsess over finding a QB in the draft every year for the next 5-10 years.
These are my thoughts exactly...well except for the last part because I do 100% agree.

And I also agree that IF Dak lights up GB and Cincy, I could be swayed otherwise.

Top Bottom