Week 8 Gameday Chatter Thread | Cowboys vs Seahawks| 11/1/2015

This Denver defense is amazing! 15 plus points in every fantasy game this year. For some reason though Brady would tear them apart when they play, even though I would love for them to struggle. It's hard to get anything going with them.

22cowboysfan22

Brand New Member
As bad as we have played I think we win one if we would have stuck with Weeden. With Weeden we were atleast moving the ball without a run game. Cassel just flat out blows. How can you throw for under 100 yards in an NFL game? Romo inst going undefeated. Tank time...
What? Weeden wasn't doing shit. We would have had zero chance these last two games with Weeden at QB.

Clff15701

DCC 4Life
Player Att Comp Yds Comp % Yds/Att TD TD % INT INT % Long Sck Sack/Lost Rating
Brandon Weeden 98 71 738 72.4 7.5 2 2.0 2 2.0 67 8 62 92.1
Matt Cassel 52 30 324 57.7 6.2 1 1.9 3 5.8 35 2 6 58.5

The stats show otherwise. I'm not saying Weeden is great by any means but Cassel isn't NFL QB material at this point.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
Did you forget that Weeden's numbers are "better" because he threw everything under 10 yards?

Clff15701

DCC 4Life
Did you forget that Weeden's numbers are "better" because he threw everything under 10 yards?
I would like to see what Weeden could do with Dez. I just don't think that Cassel has the arm at this point to compete.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
I agree that something needed to be done but my point is acquiring Cassel wasn't going to fix anything. It was a pointless move especially since there was a QB on the roster that Linehan apparently has some confidence in. Why not try him? If they don't have any confidence in him why is he on the roster? The whole process really stinks. Bottom line for me was I felt certain Cassel was a complete waste of time and even if he can do better he wasn't allowed to so again why bring him in.
You are stuck on Kellen Moore, really? Cassel has done more in the NFL than either of the other two so bringing him in wasnt a waste in theory. Not allowing him to play is not on the QB its the on the coaching staff. I wasnt real happy about bringing in Cassel but I sure as hell was more happy than the thought of Weeden or Moore playing.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
You are stuck on Kellen Moore, really? Cassel has done more in the NFL than either of the other two so bringing him in wasnt a waste in theory. Not allowing him to play is not on the QB its the on the coaching staff. I wasnt real happy about bringing in Cassel but I sure as hell was more happy than the thought of Weeden or Moore playing.
Yeah Cassel has done so much that he can't keep a job. The reason being when it's time to deliver he folds and I'm not talking about yesterday. I'm pointing to last week. Give him a regular game plan and he will serve up the ball to the opponent. That's why he was muzzled yesterday. My point with Moore is why in the world is he on the roster in the first place? He was in place when the powers that be went on a QB hunt for Cassel.

Rev

Staff member
Yeah Cassel has done so much that he can't keep a job. The reason being when it's time to deliver he folds and I'm not talking about yesterday. I'm pointing to last week. Give him a regular game plan and he will serve up the ball to the opponent. That's why he was muzzled yesterday. My point with Moore is why in the world is he on the roster in the first place? He was in place when the powers that be went on a QB hunt for Cassel.
Yeah. He is a journeyman at this career but is miles ahead of either of the other two. His last two teams didnt cut him. Teams traded for him so there is value at least up until now. He was muzzled because the coaches are idiots and coach scared. Its not like he is an interception machine throughout his career (at least at the rate he had against the Giants). I agree with Moore. Why is he on the roster? He shouldnt be and the fact that they went to look for one even with him on the roster should say something.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
:rolleyes

that's like knocking someone for saying they're so hungry they could eat a horse. ignore the obvious hyperbole and address their legitimate criticisms.
Well most of the ridiculous over the top criticism is in that same vein.

You have to dig pretty deep to get past the outrage before you hit some good points.

I have no interest in doing that because before you got an admission that 90% of the complaints were simple frustration at a loss, you'd have gone through 20 pages of shouting, and I simply don't have the time for that.

Suffice to say that given the injury status this team has had, expecting more than a pretty bad record is delusional. Maybe different game plans could have changed something here or there but they went aggressive last week and Cassel threw 3 picks... this week they went conservative and he threw 97 yards.

It's a no win. This season was over when Romo left the field on week 2 and there is nothing anyone could have done about it at that point.

Draft a QB next year.

Last edited:

Smitty

DCC 4Life
I just can't fathom how we actually have a good game offensively minus the turnovers and the coaches somehow this think this shit show is a better idea.
I suspect its because after a 3 INT game, it's because they don't trust Cassel to not throw the game away like he did last week.

For the record I would have continued to let him air it out. Also for the record, the Seattle defense is miles better than the Giants defense, so if you had done so, you probably would have gotten three more picks as well.

There really is no right answer.

Rev

Staff member
And fire Garrett

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I suspect its because after a 3 INT game, it's because they don't trust Cassel to not throw the game away like he did last week.

For the record I would have continued to let him air it out. Also for the record, the Seattle defense is miles better than the Giants defense, so if you had done so, you probably would have gotten three more picks as well.

This is true, at the end of the day Cassel only had to take us about 30 yards with about a minute to play to win the game, that is probably a scenario we take going into the game. The coaching staff played it extremely close to the vest, hoping the defense could carry us to a small margin victory with the offense not making any huge mistakes, can't really argue with that when going up against a very good defense.

As for the coverage, it was fine most of the game, on the last drive they got us with some pick plays on 3rd down and we never adjusted, should've been a rather simple adjustment but what can you do?

As far as the season being over, it isn't yet just because of how horrific the division is but at this point I can't really bring myself to care. If we are 2-7 when Romo comes back I'd rather we just sit him and angle for a pick high enough for Lynch or Goff, but then you have the conundrum of potentially being a Super Bowl contender with a healthy Romo but spending a very high pick on someone who won't help us get there in the very short term.

Obviousy I'd go QB if the situation is right because the next 10-15 years are more important than a fragile 2-3 year window with Romo, if that, but the big question is would the front office?

Hard to say because Jerry clearly wanted Manziel but will he have the same hard on for a normal QB prospect, who is better than Manziel but without the flash?

Most likely scenario that I see is Romo coming back and we finish somewhere between 6-8 wins, we will probably pick around 10-15 and will go RB or defense. The only way we are bad enough to get a Goff or Lynch is if we sit a healthy Romo or he re-injures himself.

data

Forbes #1
Reminds me of the 1999 season. When healthy, we won and the season began with great promise. Once major injury happened in Philadelphia (Irvin and Romo), we sputtered remainder of year.

Jerruh continued to avoid QB situation even though aikman was a strong breeze from the next concussion. Romo's pretty much there, each hit resulting in an injury, yet we haven't prepared for life after.

Last edited:

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
Weeden didn't move shit, did you forget the Patriots game? One or two drives doesn't count. That fucker doesn't even look past 5 yards. We have shit for backup QBs, but the biggest issue is coaching
The way I see it, the bulk of the blame definitely rests at the feet of the coaching staff.

The game plan was way too conservative. I get that Cassel is limited in what he can do but the play calling inside the red zone was an absolute joke. It felt like they were happily settling for FG attempts.

There was a definite "playing not to lose" mentality with the offense yesterday for practically the entire game.

It's sickening and is of no entertainment value to me. If that's their offensive philosophy then I'm not going to even bother watching games until Romo returns.

dallen

Senior Tech
It is obvious Weeden and Cassel are both below average. It is also obvious that the coaching staff has no idea how to win a game without one of the best QBs in the league under center. All they had to do was figure out how to win 3 games without Romo and we'd have been within striking distance. It looks more and more likely that we are going to go 0-fer. We can argue about which turd is shittier all day but none of it matters until the front office decides to commit to developing a great coaching staff. All the improvements they've made in player personnel are useless until they realize there are not 500 guys out there that could win a Super Bowl here. It is Brady and Belichick together that put together their run.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
The way I see it, the bulk of the blame definitely rests at the feet of the coaching staff.

The game plan was way too conservative. I get that Cassel is limited in what he can do but the play calling inside the red zone was an absolute joke. It felt like they were happily settling for FG attempts.

There was a definite "playing not to lose" mentality with the offense yesterday for practically the entire game.

It's sickening and is of no entertainment value to me. If that's their offensive philosophy then I'm not going to even bother watching games until Romo returns.
I think generally speaking the game plan was fine, Cassel threw the game away against the Giants, what do you think is going to happen against a far superior defense?

With that said, you have to be situationally aggressive, it's fine being ultra conservative for the majority of the game but there are moments when you have to go for the game. You spend the whole game being ultra-conservative just so you can take a few shots to win it, we didn't take those shots.

I'm generally talking about the 3 and outs following the Hardy INT and the blocked FG, especially that 3rd and 2 where it was clear the Seahawks were selling out against the run. Go play-action, roll out there, something.

I totally understand being ultra-conservative for most of the game, but you have to be aggressive in a few key moments, we weren't.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
It is obvious Weeden and Cassel are both below average. It is also obvious that the coaching staff has no idea how to win a game without one of the best QBs in the league under center. All they had to do was figure out how to win 3 games without Romo and we'd have been within striking distance. It looks more and more likely that we are going to go 0-fer. We can argue about which turd is shittier all day but none of it matters until the front office decides to commit to developing a great coaching staff. All the improvements they've made in player personnel are useless until they realize there are not 500 guys out there that could win a Super Bowl here. It is Brady and Belichick together that put together their run.
3 to be within striking distance?

We would win the division with ease if we were 5-4 when Romo came back, hell, I think we win it if we are just 4-5.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member

I agree. They should have kept airing it out. In the Giants game I was actually entertained by the product I was watching.....even with the 3 picks. Plus the threat of the passing game actually created a little more running room for the RBs.

As an aside, Doug Free really sucked ass yesterday. Seemed as if 75% of the runs that were blown up came from his man, usually Avril, beating him off the snap. Just a pathetic effort all around.

Top Bottom