BBQ Thread

Angrymesscan

DCC 4Life
So my girlfriend went out and bought me a charcoal grill. From like a thrift store. Because she knew I wanted one.

It was like $23.

She's funny. But I guess now I have to use it.
Whoa!!!
Schmitty has a girlfriend???
When/How did this happen???

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
Just giving you shit. So, did the smoke flavor translate to the lobster meat well?
Very much so. You could definitely taste the smoke, but it wasn't overpowering. The lobster flavor was still there.

I had some of the melted spiced butter that we tried to eat it with, but that seemed a bit too much along with the smoky lobster. So we just melted some plain butter to eat it with.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Very much so. You could definitely taste the smoke, but it wasn't overpowering. The lobster flavor was still there.

I had some of the melted spiced butter that we tried to eat it with, but that seemed a bit too much along with the smoky lobster. So we just melted some plain butter to eat it with.
I will be doing this very soon.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
Props. We actually have fresh lobsters available here in Lubbock, so I plan to go buy some and smoke them this weekend.
Did you ever try this? If so, how did it turn out?

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
Decided to smoke a couple fatties. One I used sausage, and the other I used ground beef and made it into a bacon cheeseburger. Sorry for the GIANT pictures. I'm not nearly smart enough to know how to make them smaller. Oh well...

This is one of the bacon weaves I used to wrap them in. I sprinkled some of my homemade rub on it, but it's not on this picture yet.

The one on the left is the sausage. I put some homemade BBQ sauce on it, then pepperjack cheese and some chopped onion and mushrooms. The other is hamburger with the sauce, American cheese, chopped onion and mushroom. Both also have some crispy fried bacon bits. I put 1lb of meat into a 1gal Ziploc bag, pressed it out flat to all sides of the bag to make the meat flat and a uniform size, then cut the sides of the bag and bottom of the bag to remove it. This also made it the same size as the bacon weave.

I rolled them both up, then rolled them into the bacon weaves. I then put a thin coat of my BBQ sauce on them, and another sprinkle of my rub.

I smoked them at 240 degrees with apple wood until they were 165 internal temp. Appx 2 1/2 hrs. We cut up the one on the left (bacon cheeseburger) and ate it on buns like a regular burger. The sausage one, just cut into slices and ate it like that. Both turned out very good.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
Grilled Steaks, potatoes, asparagus, mushrooms and had some Negra Modelo. Saturday was glorious.

Cotton

Staff member
Grilled Steaks, potatoes, asparagus, mushrooms and had some Negra Modelo. Saturday was glorious.
You're doing it right.

data

Forbes #1
@Iamtdg. Are the 22.5" circular weber grills worse at smoking than the barrel-shaped grills with a side firebox?

Can I still do a good smoke job with the circular weber?

Last edited:

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
I had to go with brats and ribs for game day today. I wanted to do a brisket but those SOBs are hard to find here in south Florida.

I went to three different grocery stores and the closest thing I found was some corned beef brisket.

I may actually have to seek out a butcher to get my brisket fix.

Having lived predominantly in Texas and Oklahoma I assumed briskets were always readily available in the local grocery store. I learned a hard lesson yesterday.

Cotton

Staff member
@Iamtdg. Are the 22.5" circular weber grills worse at smoking than the barrel-shaped grills with a side firebox?

It depends what you're cooking. If you're cooking a huge brisket you would want the vertical smoker with an end firebox. If you're smoking a chicken or a ham a Weber style grill will work using an offset smoking technique. I don't like offset smoking because I don't think it gets the meat cooked evenly, but a lot of people do it. I had much rather have a vertical smoker where the smoke carries over the meat in an even fashion creating a more equal smoke flavor in every bite.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
I had to go with brats and ribs for game day today. I wanted to do a brisket but those SOBs are hard to find here in south Florida.

I went to three different grocery stores and the closest thing I found was some corned beef brisket.

I may actually have to seek out a butcher to get my brisket fix.

Having lived predominantly in Texas and Oklahoma I assumed briskets were always readily available in the local grocery store. I learned a hard lesson yesterday.
When I lived in Tampa I was shocked when I couldn't find it in the store. And then when I did it was a tiny lean piece instead of a whole brisket with fat attached.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member

Cotton can't even grow grass and now you think he's a brisket expert?

PLEASE!

Cotton

Staff member
That is not my yard. Way too much green that isn't weeds.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
That is not my yard. Way too much green that isn't weeds.
I walked up to the front of my house today and wondered what happened. It is dead.

I never go in the front. My driveway is in the back and I cannot be bothered to do yard work, so I had no idea. It looks terrible.

Welp, too late now, it has been 100 for weeks now with no rain. I don't even care right now.

Top Bottom