Should the Death Penalty be abolished

2233boys

Not So New Member
In the aftermath of the second botched execution recently what are your thoughts?

I think it should what do the rest of you say. I'll make a guess, bipolar may be the only one to agree with me perhaps no one will. I think it's unethical, immoral and unconstitutional.

I just found an article by Amnesty international that says it's also more expensive then life in prison trails. Millions could be saved specifically in court costs.

http://www.amnestyusa.org/our-work/issues/death-penalty/us-death-penalty-facts/death-penalty-cost
Other links
http://www.icomdp.org/arguments-against-the-death-penalty/
http://www.deathpenalty.org/section.php?id=13

Post your opinion and tell us why.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
In the aftermath of the second botched execution recently what are your thoughts?

I think it should what do the rest of you say. I'll make a guess, bipolar may be the only one to agree with me perhaps no one will. I think it's unethical, immoral and unconstitutional.

I just found an article by Amnesty international that says it's also more expensive then life in prison trails. Millions could be saved specifically in court costs.

http://www.amnestyusa.org/our-work/issues/death-penalty/us-death-penalty-facts/death-penalty-cost
Other links

It's only more expensive if you make it more expensive. We just have a very stupid and inefficient court system and it takes too damned long to exhaust appeals. The numbers are also skewed by states like Cali who use the sentence a lot but almost never carry it out. I think we get it done often enough in Texas we may actually see some cost savings if we get them dead within 5 years, like we sometimes do.

IMO, there are just some people that shouldn't be rewarded for their crimes with free room and board and cable TV. I personally don't think we use it nearly enough. If you love murderers and think a life of ease and comfort should be their "punishment", I just disagree.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
I'm all in favor of the death penalty. I know the deaths of inmates is supposed to be humane but to me if a person committed a heinous crime that landed them on death row then, IMO, they deserve a painful death.

A guy viciously kills an entire family, including the children, doesn't deserve to just drift away peacefully into a "deep sleep". I don't mind them suffering some before they die.

Also, call me crazy but I'd be in favor of public executions like they used to do centuries ago. I think seeing someone punished in a public square would be a huge deterrent for committing a crime in America. And it doesn't have to be just for murder cases. Some rapes someone or commits a robbery, tie them to a post and beat their ass in a public square to send a firm message to any would-be hoodlums.

Stuff like that sends a stronger message than community service and fines.

Last edited:

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
It's only more expensive if you make it more expensive. We just have a very stupid and inefficient court system and it takes too damned long to exhaust appeals. The numbers are also skewed by states like Cali who use the sentence a lot but almost never carry it out. I think we get it done often enough in Texas we may actually see some cost savings if we get them dead within 5 years, like we sometimes do.

IMO, there are just some people that shouldn't be rewarded for their crimes with free room and board and cable TV. I personally don't think we use it nearly enough. If you love murderers and think a life of ease and comfort should be their "punishment", I just disagree.
That's one of my biggest gripes with the judicial system. It takes too damn long for the appeals process to play out.

If the DNA matches up and the case is air tight and appeal should be heard within a year and the convicted criminal should be frying within 18 months of his initial sentence.

It pisses me off when I see these guys who are finally being put to death for a crime that they committed way back in '82.

jeebs

Brand New Member
As currently constructed the death penty should be discontinued.

2233boys

Not So New Member
How are we any better then them if we are killing them? Who are we to determine if a human being lives or dies? What if they were wrongly convicted? All questions that need to be answered.

We are in great company with China and Iran in still having the death penalty. A lot of the rest of the civilized world including almost all of Europe no longer employ the death penalty.

I think saying I love murders just because I choose not to be one, and why should they get to live a life of ease and comfort is terribly simplistic and not even close to being true. I have no issue with making life sentence folks work and not having Tv and the like.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
How are we any better then them if we are killing them?
How does locking someone in prison make us better than kidnappers? How does fining people make us different than thieves? Who are we to judge anyone's actions, right? Why don't we just give up on punishing people altogether?

2233boys

Not So New Member
I'm all in favor of the death penalty. I know the deaths of inmates is supposed to be humane but to me if a person committed a heinous crime that landed them on death row then, IMO, they deserve a painful death.

A guy viciously kills an entire family, including the children, doesn't deserve to just drift away peacefully into a "deep sleep". I don't mind them suffering some before they die.

Also, call me crazy but I'd be in favor of public executions like they used to do centuries ago. I think seeing someone punished in a public square would be a huge deterrent for committing a crime in America. And it doesn't have to be just for murder cases. Some rapes someone or commits a robbery, tie them to a post and beat their ass in a public square to send a firm message to any would-be hoodlums.

Stuff like that sends a stronger message than community service and fines.
Making a punishment so that the person would suffer would certainly be unconstitutional. You'd prefer we be just like China? Death penalty has never been shown to be a deterrent for crime. A better solution to stop crime would be to decriminalize drugs. It would empty out our prisons and free up our courts and law enforcement. 50% of the people in federal prison are in there for drug related crimes.

If you have to kill people you better be sure and you had better down it legally. Your dealing with a persons life you need to be 100% everything was done above board and you are right .

2233boys

Not So New Member
How does locking someone in prison make us better than kidnappers? How does fining people make us different than thieves? Who are we to judge anyone's actions, right? Why don't we just give up on punishing people altogether?
Apples and oranges

2233boys

Not So New Member
Or kidnapping for "legalized" kidnapping. If you want to say due process is meaningless, don't be a hypocrite.
Hypocrite? Where did I say due process was meaningless? You have taken the debate to a ridiculous extreme to try and make the case that sanctioned murder is ok.

I have said I have no issue with punishment, but killing someone isn't ethical, moral, and it isn't what a civilized country should support.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are

Other links

It also unethical immoral and unconstitutional to commit murder. In this case two wrongs make a right.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
Hypocrite? Where did I say due process was meaningless? You have taken the debate to a ridiculous extreme to try and make the case that sanctioned murder is ok.

I have said I have no issue with punishment, but killing someone isn't ethical, moral, and it isn't what a civilized country should support.
I think calling an execution "legalized murder" is taking it to a ridiculous extreme. There's no moral equivalence between the carrying out of a sentence agreed upon by a judge and jury and the premeditated murder of an innocent person.

I don't believe every human life is valuable. Most human lives are valuable. Some people are evil, they do nothing but harm to their fellow human beings. The entire world is better off without them.

What's the point of keeping someone in prison for 40 years, until they finally die on their own, paying for their food, their clothing, security, medical care? What are you trying to accomplish? What useful purpose could that serve? Get rid of them, be done with it.

2233boys

Not So New Member
Fair point about legalized murder. I won't use it anymore.

To me the death penalty only serves one purpose revenge and that bothers me.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Fair point about legalized murder. I won't use it anymore.

To me the death penalty only serves one purpose revenge and that bothers me.
It bothers the victim's family and friend even more.

2233boys

Not So New Member
It bothers the victim's family and friend even more.
So revenge is going to give them peace? I don't see it that way, to me if I was after revenge making the person be caged their entire life would be more satisfying.

Last edited:

UncleMilti

This seemed like a good idea at the time.
Staff member
I'm good with it. Get rid of the lethal injection though and bring back firing squads and the electric chair, and shorten the appeals process to 1 try. Longest a convicted murderer should be allowed to stay on Death Row is 1 year.

An eye for an eye....I feel no sorrow or sadness for those who are committed to death for killing another human being.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
How so? We are revenge seekers now?
Revenge isn't sought it is offered by some states as a way of restitution to the victim's family. In order to keep the process at arms length and objectively it is accomplished through the judical system via a panel of juriorist. They distribute the revenge.

jeebs

Brand New Member

lol, yea it was clay that took this debate to ridiculous extremes...

Top Bottom