Phillips - Jerry: Defense “A Must” In The Draft; Running Back? Not So Much

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
I totally agree. There are always good veteran RBs available if we need an extra guy.
Correct. A good pass rush is much harder to find, and we should be using most of our resources there. Now, keep in mind this is if I was forced to choose between them. If I had my druthers I would be trying to improve in both areas in the draft, if possible.

Jiggyfly

Banned
Where we are drafting upgrading the pass rush is not guaranteed or are people forgetting the Pittman, Carver, Ekuban pass rusher chase debacle.

Getting a above average RB is much easier than finding a "Pass Rush" I am not saying it should not be addressed but just saying we need a pass rush out of this draft is setting yourself up for reaches and failure.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
Where we are drafting upgrading the pass rush is not guaranteed or are people forgetting the Pittman, Carver, Ekuban pass rusher chase debacle.

Getting a above average RB is much easier than finding a "Pass Rush" I am not saying it should not be addressed but just saying we need a pass rush out of this draft is setting yourself up for reaches and failure.
True.

Genghis Khan

For this team?

They went 12-4 last year with a dominant running game and no pass rush.

They do need another pass rusher. They need a RB way more.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
For this team?

And that lack of a pass rush kept them from advancing in the playoffs. I'd say it's six of one, half dozen of the other. We need both.

Genghis Khan

And this mantra that we can always just pick up some scrub at RB is patently retarded for this team.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
And this mantra that we can always just pick up some scrub at RB is patently retarded for this team.
I haven't seen one single person say that we can pick up some scrub RB. Maybe I've missed it.

Cotton

Staff member

Of course it's easier to find an above average RB than a quality pass rusher. That's why I said more resources should be thrown at the pass rush, because less resources are needed to find an acceptable level RB.

Cotton

Staff member
For this team?

I just don't agree.

Jiggyfly

Banned
Of course it's easier to find an above average RB than a quality pass rusher. That's why I said more resources should be thrown at the pass rush, because less resources are needed to find an acceptable level RB.
So you advocate going back to the carpet bombing drafts where we go all in at certain positions like we did at Cb and DL that netted us nothing.

You should never enter a draft allocating resources to a certain positions, that causes you to start reaching and passing on higher rated players.

Cotton

Staff member
So you advocate going back to the carpet bombing drafts where we go all in at certain positions like we did at Cb and DL that netted us nothing.

You should never enter a draft allocating resources to a certain positions, that causes you to start reaching and passing on higher rated players.
I never once said that. But, well done creating a strawman argument to try and prove a point.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
So you advocate going back to the carpet bombing drafts

So you're advocating that we just pluck the low hanging fruit every draft. That's how you end up just drafting a TE/LBer every year. RB's aren't actually easy to evaluate, they are just easy to find. Hell go over a list of first round RBs in most recent history and you'll find that the majority of them are busts. For every Adrian Peterson there are six Bennie Wells/Cadillac Williams/Darren McFadden who don't do shit. They are easy to find because there are so many good RBs. The reason is the shelf life is so short and injuries are plentiful. Plus it's a position that is heavily dependent on the O-line in front of them. That's why you should almost never take a first round RB and probably why we shouldn't take one in the first round this year either.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
So you're advocating that we just pluck the low hanging fruit every draft. That's how you end up just drafting a TE/LBer every year. RB's aren't actually easy to evaluate, they are just easy to find. Hell go over a list of first round RBs in most recent history and you'll find that the majority of them are busts. For every Adrian Peterson there are six Bennie Wells/Cadillac Williams/Darren McFadden who don't do shit. They are easy to find because there are so many good RBs. The reason is the shelf life is so short and injuries are plentiful. Plus it's a position that is heavily dependent on the O-line in front of them. That's why you should almost never take a first round RB and probably why we shouldn't take one in the first round this year either.
Right. If you have 3 backs o the roster and pickup a veteran like Dallas has done why get a high pick back to add toi the mix. I really disagree with the approach Dallas has taken for this position but it would make a bad decision worse to waste a pick for another back.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Right. If you have 3 backs o the roster and pickup a veteran like Dallas has done why get a high pick back to add to the mix. I really disagree with the approach Dallas has taken for this position but it would make a bad decision worse to waste a pick for another back.

Sorry about thr double post.

townsend

Banned
This team has been kind of shitty at picking backs early. Of course Felix Jones was a weird Jerry gimmick pick. It's hard for me to feel good about the current backs on the roster since they were never utilized last year. When one guy is over used with 3 other guys waiting behind them, I'm forced to assume those 3 other guys suck.

townsend

Banned
Right. If you have 3 backs o the roster and pickup a veteran like Dallas has done why get a high pick back to add to the mix. I really disagree with the approach Dallas has taken for this position but it would make a bad decision worse to waste a pick for another back.

Sorry about thr double post.
same reason you draft Demarco Murray with Felix Jones and Tashard Choice already on the team. You need a true starter and ideally you need a guy who can be the back of the future.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
same reason you draft Demarco Murray with Felix Jones and Tashard Choice already on the team. You need a true starter and ideally you need a guy who can be the back of the future.
My point was why bother with McFadden. That just adds chaos to the mix. Its a waste if you then go for a high round pick. You should have left McFadden alone if that was your primary strategy. His selection was more than just camp fodder.

townsend

Banned
My point was why bother with McFadden. That just adds chaos to the mix. Its a waste if you then go for a high round pick. You should have left McFadden alone if that was your primary strategy. His selection was more than just camp fodder.
He's a veteran back, that came very cheap. If we were to draft A great back, he'd still be a rookie. Having a veteran pass protector with some upside seems like a perfect compliment.

Jiggyfly

Banned
What?

I am advocating not approaching a draft focusing on one particular thing like upgrading the pass rush, nothing more or less.

I don't know what any of the rest of that has to do with what I said. I am not advocating RB in the 1st just saying I am not passing up a better player in the name of trying to upgrade the pass rush.

Jiggyfly

Banned
I never once said that. But, well done creating a strawman argument to try and prove a point.
How else do you allocate resources to the pass rush if you are not going in thinking you have to draft several pass rushers?

Nothing I said was strawman did you not say we need to concentrate on pass rush?

Top Bottom