2013 College Football chatter....

Status
Not open for further replies.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
What is your definition of coming back to earth?

Getting blown out by Baylor? Being a 7 win team next season? No, I don't see either.
a 7 win team in your conference would be shameful.

D

Deuce

a 7 win team in your conference would be shameful.
Probably, but the reason I say that isn't likely is cause we've had 10+ wins in 3 of the last 4 years. GOL has been a steady winner, this team isn't some fluke. If our QB returns for another year (I don't think he does) than next year will be the same.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
You don't know what you are talking about if you think it was about the injuries.
hey, you are the one explaining switching school allegiance, not me. say what you want but it will still be what it is. tell the story however you want but i will always see it in one light. traiter, tee shirt fan and fair weather fan...all of those apply.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
hey, you are the one explaining switching school allegiance, not me. say what you want but it will still be what it is. tell the story however you want but i will always see it in one light. traiter, tee shirt fan and fair weather fan...all of those apply.
Go back to the post that you quoted and show me where any of that was said.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
Probably, but the reason I say that isn't likely is cause we've had 10+ wins in 3 of the last 4 years. GOL has been a steady winner, this team isn't some fluke. If our QB returns for another year (I don't think he does) than next year will be the same.
you have a solid team, no doubt. winning 11 in your conference is no fluke. you earned that. the school is primed for a run, has a great student body (large), great location for recruiting...lots of positives there.

Still, you are in the conference that you are in. Let's not pretend that ucf is running with the big boys yet though. You have no history, play in whatever conference and are located in a state where the big boys have about a hundred year head start on you. It will take many many years to catch up to the state and then the region that you are in. I think I know a little bit about that from a personal perspective.

There are bunch of teams that have worse records that could have won 11 games with your schedule. It is easy to Sit back and say that all would be well in a better conference but history proves that it is not that easy. It is different doing it week in and week out vs. playing a some tough games 2-3 times per year. I'm not saying that it is not possible or anything.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
Go back to the post that you quoted and show me where any of that was said.
i honestly don't know what you mean. i didn't say that you said any of that. i was the one that said it.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
i honestly don't know what you mean. i didn't say that you said any of that. i was the one that said it.
Exactly. Just showing your trolling actually had no bearing on the fact that Baylor had injuries.

Last edited:

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
Exactly. Just showing your trolling actually had no bearing on the fact that Baylor had injuries.
I seriously feel like we are having two different conversations. You switched teams, right? Wasn't TTU your school? Did you not live there, work there and go to school there? If that's the case I seriously don't know how you can defend that move. Because the administration made you all mad and stuff? I can't even fathom that.

D

Deuce

Mac Brown to step down after 16 years at Texas

by Chip Brown
Orangebloods.com Columnist

Mack Brown, who united the Texas football program upon his arrival in 1998 and led the Longhorns to their first national title in 35 years, will announce he is stepping down after 16 years as UT's football coach, two high-level sources told Orangebloods.com.

Brown, who will leave Texas second in wins (158) only to legendary UT coach Darrell Royal (167), is expected to make the announcement by the end of the week.

"Mack Brown loves Texas and wants what's in the best interest of Texas and what's in the best interest of Mack Brown," one high-level source said. "I don't think it's been an easy decision. But he doesn't want negativity around the program he helped unify."

The Texas football banquet Friday night was expected to be a celebration of the Mack Brown era, sources said. The Valero Alamo Bowl against Oregon is expected to be Brown's last game at Texas.

Attempts to reach Brown, who has been in New York for College Football Hall of Fame activities, were unsuccessful. Brown's schedule Tuesday included out-of-state recruiting stops in Florida. Messages left with Brown's attorney, Joe Jamail, weren't immediately returned.

Brown, 62, who earned $5.4 million in 2013 and is under contract through Dec. 31, 2020, will receive the $2.75 million buyout in his contract and other considerations, sources said.

By voluntarily relinquishing his head coaching duties, as part of his current contract,Brown would be "reassigned to another significant position" in the athletic department at an annual salary of $500,000 through the end of his contract.

That position would be similar to the "special assistant to the president" designation formerly held by Royal, sources said.

Brown had a string of nine straight, 10-win seasons at Texas from 2001-2009. But the Longhorns followed up a loss to Alabama in the BCS national title game by going 5-7 in 2010, then 8-5 in 2011, 9-4 in 2012 and 8-4 this season.

Texas has an overall record of 30-20 (.600) the past four seasons. During that span, the Longhorns are 18-17 in Big 12 play (.514) and 14-11 at home (.560). Texas, which has also lost its last eight home games against opponents ranked in the AP Top 25, lost only 9 games at home from 1997-2009 (13 years).

Brown desperately wanted to restore the program to the championship level experienced from 2004-09, when Texas went 69-9, won the national title (2005), played for another (2009), won two BCS bowl games (2004 Rose, 2008 Fiesta) and two Big 12 titles (2005, 2009).

He hoped it would be this season, when, despite numerous season-ending injuries to key players and replacing defensive coordinator Manny Diaz with Greg Robinson two games into the season, UT still had a chance to win the Big 12 title on Saturday.

But the Longhorns lost 30-10 at Baylor, their fourth loss of the season, making Brown the first coach in Texas history to suffer four straight seasons with at least four losses.

The injuries this season included QB David Ash (head injury), LB Jordan Hicks (Achilles), DT Chris Whaley (knee), RB Johnathan Gray (Achilles) and OT Josh Cochran (shoulder).

Darrell Royal once called Brown a coach with "the best public relations skills I've ever seen." And Brown relied on Royal heavily to help him navigate the waters as Texas' coach from the day Brown interviewed for the Texas job.

Royal told Brown he would have to put "all the beebies back in the box" when it came to uniting the Texas faithful, which had been fractured since Royal retired in 1976 at the age of 52. At that time, Royal also served as athletic director and wanted to name Mike Campbell, his defensive coordinator, as his coaching successor.

But a couple of powerful regents overruled Royal. Fred Akers was hired as coach, and the Texas family was never quite unified through the Akers, David McWilliams, John Mackovic eras - until Brown arrived in 1998.

From the day he arrived in Austin after 10 years as coach at North Carolina, Brown told UT fans to "Come early, be loud, stay late and wear burnt orange."

Season tickets sold at Texas soared, from 38,100 in 1998 to a high of 84,500 in 2010. But after a surprising 5-7 record in 2010, season tickets dropped to 81,600 for 2011, then to 78,800 for 2012 and 76,300 for 2013.

That declining fan interest paralleled the Longhorns' performance on the field.

The family atmosphere at Texas created by Brown and his wife, Sally, attracted top talent, such as QBs Vince Young, RBs Jamaal Charles, Cedric Benson, WR Roy Williams, Butkus Award winner LB Derrick Johnson, DE Brian Orakpo, Thorpe Award winners CB Aaron Ross and CB Michael Huff and S Earl Thomas, S Kenny Vaccaro and S Michael Griffin.

From 2001-09, Brown enjoyed nine straight, 10-win seasons and was one win away from the 2001 Big 12 title and a berth in the national championship game against the Miami Hurricanes. But the Longhorns were upset in a turnover-filled loss to Colorado, a team it beat 41-7 earlier that season.

The success of Brown's Longhorns in the first decade of the 2000s helped make Texas a centerpiece of realignment in 2010 and 2011. The school could have basically named its conference but instead stayed in the Big 12 and landed a $300 million, 20-year contract from ESPN for the rights to the school's third-tier television inventory.

The deal remains unprecedented and helped Texas become the largest revenue-producing athletic department in the country, bringing in $163 million in 2012-13.

D

Deuce

Ace and his cronies when Mack Brown announces it's false and he's returning.

D

Deuce

@BFeldmanCBS: Mack Brown to 247: "I'm in FL recruiting. If I had decided to step down I sure wouldn't be killing myself down here." Said not stepping down

Hahahahahaahaaa that would be fantastic.

Bob Roberts

Professor StinkFinger
@BFeldmanCBS: Mack Brown to 247: "I'm in FL recruiting. If I had decided to step down I sure wouldn't be killing myself down here." Said not stepping down

Hahahahahaahaaa that would be fantastic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom