So the question is...

Angrymesscan

DCC 4Life
Romo doesn't recover and is out the whole year or comes back for a game or two. Dak does ok, but struggles at times, ends with an 8-8 record.
2017 Do you bench Dak so he can learn some from the bench or do you just keep going with him?

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Romo doesn't recover and is out the whole year or comes back for a game or two. Dak does ok, but struggles at times, ends with an 8-8 record.
2017 Do you bench Dak so he can learn some from the bench or do you just keep going with him?
If Romo is out of the picture and Prescott goes .500 his rookie year, you stick with him. That is a pretty good performance for a rookie and the upside is much greater.

townsend

Banned
I think Romo will probably be considered the default starter until the day he announced his retirement. It doesn't make football sense, but he's pals with everybody on the team. It's sad because I can see the table being set for Romo to get booed when he comes out starting over Dak. The same way Aikman got booed coming out instead of Cunningham.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
If Romo is out of the picture and Prescott goes .500 his rookie year, you stick with him. That is a pretty good performance for a rookie and the upside is much greater.
I don't know about that. I mean a healthy Romo presumably can get this team 10-12 wins. So if Dak gets us 8, while I think that is very good for a rookie, I don't think you can just bank on him getting better. I'd probably roll with Romo until he gets hurt again and then Dak will take over again.

Of course it all kind of depends on what Dak does. If we win 8 games and Dak is posting a QB rating of 100 I stick with Dak. If on the other hand he is posting a QB rating of like 70-80 but finding a way to win, I'd go back to Romo.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Tend to agree. He should only improve moving forward, especially if you dump Romo's salary and commit resources to the defense.

Russell Wilson and Ben Roethlisberger each started out incredibly conservative leaning on their defenses and running games. Now they're both great passers, and Ben's become a total beast.

Angrymesscan

DCC 4Life
But those that spent some time sitting and learning have historically done better than those learning on the go...
I don't know if it works though if you've already been sent out, I really can't remember an example of a guy who was given the reigns, then benched to watch and learn and then turned into a franchise QB.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
But those that spent some time sitting and learning have historically done better than those learning on the go...
I don't know if it works though if you've already been sent out, I really can't remember an example of a guy who was given the reigns, then benched to watch and learn and then turned into a franchise QB.
Yeah I can't really think of one either but I think it's because teams rarely have two QBs that are both really good. Usually if a team finds that talent and promise in a young QB they dump the veteran. I don't see why someone like Dak couldn't start 8 games this year though and then take over the job in say in 2018.

Honestly I just hope the kid plays well though. Because Romo is never going to be starting for a long stretch. If he comes back this season or next it's not going to be long before Dak is out there again. And that will only happen so many times before they either turn the reigns over to Dak or realize that they need to draft a franchise signal caller.

data

Forbes #1
Too many variables to answer. Quinthy went to the playoffs and we still knew he was not the answer.

Top Bottom