Archer - Jason Witten on Tony Romo: 'I know he'll be back leading the charge'

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
Jason Witten on Tony Romo: 'I know he'll be back leading the charge'

1:42 PM ET
Todd Archer - ESPN Staff Writer

IRVING, Texas -- Nobody knows Tony Romo better than Jason Witten.

They are entering their 14th year together as Dallas Cowboys teammates.

With Romo coming off collarbone surgery and having played just four games last season, many want to know how the Cowboys’ starting quarterback looks. Witten has a simple answer: really good.

“I think anytime there’s an injury like that and you miss a long time, he’s as motivated as anybody I’ve been around in that situation,” Witten said. “He’s working hard and continuing to push himself to be a better player. I know he’s going to come back. I don’t just say it to believe it. I know he’ll be back leading the charge for us because he’s worked really hard to get himself in position to be back. He does it every year, that process. He stays true to it and with the competitor the way he is, I think we all are excited to see him.”

Romo turned 36 last month and the Cowboys worked to trade back into the first round to select quarterback Paxton Lynch, but ultimately the Denver Broncospicked Lynch after working out a deal with the Seattle Seahawks. That did not stop owner and general manager Jerry Jones from lamenting the decision in a similar way that he lamented the decision to not draft Johnny Manziel in 2014.

The Cowboys drafted Dak Prescott in the fourth round, making him just their second drafted quarterback since Romo became the starter in 2006. The other was Stephen McGee in the fourth round of the 2009 draft.

Witten does not think age or the Cowboys' interest in other quarterbacks is driving Romo.

“When you miss that much time, you start it sooner,” Witten said. “He’s in a position that he’s constantly pushing himself, evaluating it and trying to give himself an edge. He does that better than anybody, and that trickled down within the organization. When the quarterback takes that approach, every one of us should do the same thing.”

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have no doubt Romo will look awesome to start the season. I just wonder how he will look after he gets hit.

Top Bottom