The Great Police Work Thread

Jiggyfly

Banned
So, let's get clear. No arrest. No touching. No tazing.

What is the proper Jiggyfly endorsed method to get someone to comply to the rules?
I never said no touching.

What should have happened was the other security guard should have been called and then remove her in tandem.

Usually in this situation the classroom is cleared and the student usually complies once the audience is removed, every restraint training I have been in teaches you to isolate the person you want to restrain.

And this is not just "somebody" it's a student in a classroom who was not a threat to anybody, what was the emergency that tazing is warranted?

Jiggyfly

Banned
It's his department's policy, though. And he is working for the sheriff's office here, not the school. The school is just his assignment.
No it was not his department's policy that's why he was fired, his sheriff said he mishandled it from the beginning.

Jiggyfly

Banned
God forbid any actual schoolwork be done in that classroom. Let's all stop everything and cater to the asshole with the attitude problem. That's what I hated about teaching. 5% of the kids would make up 99% of my stress level. It's not even that "kids are out of control" it's just one or two asshole kids per class that really shouldn't be in school.
This we agree on.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
No it was not his department's policy that's why he was fired, his sheriff said he mishandled it from the beginning.
Try to keep up. Using pain compliance was in departmental policy. It's from the article you quoted. It's wrestling the kid out of the chair that was against policy.

Jiggyfly

Banned
Try to keep up. Using pain compliance was in departmental policy. It's from the article you quoted. It's wrestling the kid out of the chair that was against policy.
Yes it was but even he said there were other ways to handle it before that.

A memo of the results of the department's investigation says deputies, in instances where the suspect is in a seated position and is nonthreatening, are trained to use "tactical communication to try to talk them into compliance." If that fails, deputies can use "pain compliance techniques," but aren't supposed to "throw or push away a suspect" unless the person is trying to harm them.
Saying get up or I am going to get you up is not tactical communication, so saying get up and then using a taser is still not proper procedure.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Sheriff Says 'Third Video' Shows South Carolina Student Punching Officer in Classroom

by Erik Ortiz

One of the videos taken as a school resource officer slammed a student sitting at her desk at a South Carolina high school also shows her punching the deputy during the confrontation, authorities said Tuesday.

That video, described by Sheriff Leon Lott as the "third video," will play a part in the internal affairs investigation into whether Senior Deputy Ben Fields violated policy in Monday's incident at Spring Valley High School in Columbia.

There are at least three videos that have surfaced of the incident — which shows the girl flailing at the officer as he is already in the middle of flipping her chair over — and their distribution online has caused an uproar on social media.

It's not clear whether the sheriff was referring to those videos, or if there's still another angle on the incident.

By Monday night, Fields was suspended without pay and was asked not to return to any of the school campuses within the Richland School District Two.

The Justice Department and the FBI announced Tuesday they would open their own investigations into whether the girl's civil rights were violated. The South Carolina Law Enforcement Division is also conducting a separate probe.

Lott told reporters Tuesday that his department's internal investigation should be completed within the next 24 hours, when he will announce Fields' fate with the agency.

"I wanted to throw up," Lott said after first viewing footage of the incident. "This makes you sick to your stomach when you see that initial video. But that's just a snapshot."

Lott also said he doesn't believe race was a factor in what happened — and noted that Fields has been dating an African-American woman for "quite some time."

Yet Fields — whom students allegedly referred to as "Officer Slam" — has also been the subject of previous excessive force and racial bias allegations.

Lott said they're looking at the videos taken by students inside the class and conducting interviews with the witnesses to determine whether the officer should have escalated the situation with physical force.

A teacher had complained that the student, who has not been identified, was being unruly during class and refused to leave even after an administrator was called in.

"The student was wrong in what she did — she disrupted class, she was disturbing the others students from getting an education. But does her actions meet the level of what this officer did?" Lott asked. "That's what we're going to decide."

Lott added that she had been texting and using her phone instead of doing her school work on a Chromebook during the algebra class.

Fields in the videos shared on social media stands in front of the student, and orders her to stand up or be forcibly removed. She refuses to leave. Fields is then seen body-slamming the student to the ground while she's still in her seat, and then dragging her and her desk across the floor.

In the third video viewed by police, Lott said, it shows the girl hitting the officer in the head once he puts his hands on her: "There's no question about that."

The female student in the video as well as a second student — identified as Niya Kenny — was arrested for "contributing to the chaos," Lott added.

Kenny told NBC News on Tuesday that she saw the officer put his arm around her classmate's neck, which is when she tried to hit him.

"I don't even think her fist made contact with him — she tried to," Kenny said.

Kenny, who admits that she was "using a few F-bombs" during the confrontation, said Fields is known in the school for being physical.

"We already know his reputation, and I felt something bad was going to go down," Kenny said when the deputy walked into the classroom, adding, "He's known as Officer Slam."

Sheriff Lott declined to comment about what actions Fields should have taken in the heat of the moment because the investigation is ongoing. Fields is also the defensive line and strength coach for Spring Valley's football team.

At an earlier news conference, school district officials Tuesday blasted Fields' actions, calling them "outrageous" and "reprehensible," and the video itself "shamefully shocking."

Schools Superintendent Debbie Hamm said the district is strengthening its training efforts with school resource officers to ensure such an incident doesn't happen again.

"As we have stated previously, the safety and dignity of our students is our highest priority," added School District Board Chairman James Manning.

Reaction over the video has been swift, and members of the group the Richland Two Black Parents Association called the officers' actions "unacceptable," reported NBC affiliate WIS. The student in the video is a black female, while the officer is white.

"Parents are heartbroken as this is just another example of the intolerance that continues to be of issue in Richland School District Two particularly with families and children of color," the parents association said in a statement. "As we have stated in the past, we stand ready to work in collaboration to address these horrible acts of violence and inequities among our children."

Meanwhile, Fields is facing another allegation of bias.

Trial is set for January in the case of an expelled student who claims Fields targeted blacks and falsely accused him of being a gang member in 2013.

In another case, a federal jury sided with Fields after a black couple accused him of excessive force and battery during a noise complaint arrest in 2005. A third lawsuit, dismissed in 2009, involved a woman who accused him of battery and violating her rights during a 2006 arrest.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I never said no touching.

What should have happened was the other security guard should have been called and then remove her in tandem.

Usually in this situation the classroom is cleared and the student usually complies once the audience is removed, every restraint training I have been in teaches you to isolate the person you want to restrain.
So wait, there need to be multiple officers ready to respond because some stupid fucking kid doesn't want to comply with a simple direction to get the hell out of the class room?

What's next a riot squad to handle to stupid shits that think that no rules apply to them?

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
The use of pain compliance damn sure is in his department's policy. What he did wasn't in the policy. What the hell are you talking about?

Cotton

Staff member
Saying get up or I am going to get you up is not tactical communication, so saying get up and then using a taser is still not proper procedure.
I see you didn't bold the part right after that that says, "If that fails, deputies can use "pain compliance techniques". Tazing is a method of pain compliance, so yeah, it is in their policy to taze if the talking doesn't work.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Read what you post. He was fired for the "maneuver". I do not know how that implies he mishandled it from the beginning.

Jiggyfly

Banned
So wait, there need to be multiple officers ready to respond because some stupid fucking kid doesn't want to comply with a simple direction to get the hell out of the class room?

What's next a riot squad to handle to stupid shits that think that no rules apply to them?
Yes that's how these situations are usually handled are you really trying to say that slamming a kid in the desk backward and then tossing them across the room is reasonable for not complying?

We are talking about a kid in a classroom who was mot threatening anybody you act like she was a threatening to shoot up the classroom.

Jiggyfly

Banned
Read what you post. He was fired for the "maneuver". I do not know how that implies he mishandled it from the beginning.
The beginning maneuver is what I was talking about.

You are just as beginning to be as bad as the outrage police acting like the initial takedown was proper and justified.

She could have been removed without slamming the desk backward, we are talking about a man weighing over 200 pounds and powerlifts is that the only way he could have controlled this student.

I don't understand how anyone can condone the amount physical force that was used on a 16-year-old girl.

Last edited:

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Yes that's how these situations are usually handled are you really trying to say that slamming a kid in the desk backward
If she is resisting and clutches the desk, yes. Not many other alternatives, other than trying to plead with her intellect and her clear desire to comply with direction. In think in this case, that was a lost cause.
and then tossing them across the room is reasonable for not complying?
I thought it was already established that what amounts to a midget toss across the room was not justified.

We are talking about a kid in a classroom who was mot threatening anybody you act like she was a threatening to shoot up the classroom.
:lol

You clearly aren't even paying attention. There are reports that she struck or attempted to strike the officer.

You keep repeating she was innocent and doing nothing, but Lott clearly stated she was active in other ways.

I guess you pick and choose what to believe coming out of his mouth.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
You clearly aren't even paying attention. There are reports that she struck or attempted to strike the officer.
I think this is actually in the video, or at least what they are calling her attempt to strike him is in the video.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
Recently I was at he pep rally at the high school and encountered a really special turd of a kid. He was leaning against the fence about 10 feet from me and dropping F bombs. Not too big of a deal because nobody could hear him at first. A teacher (probably 30 years old and 100lbs) walks by and hears the cussing. this is about how the conversation goes:

Teacher - ~in a really sweet voice~ hey guys, lets not do that, ok?

Punk kid - ~in a punk kid voice~ do what?

Teacher - language

Punk kid - this is city property and school is out, I can say whatever the F I want

Teacher - ~is obviously humiliated and defeated~ can we just please tone it down? you are still on school property and this is a school function

Punk kid - thats bullshit, I'll say whatever the F I want

I was floored. She walked off because she knew she couldn't really do anything. I found her later and tried to make her feel a little better. Damn I can't believe that this is what kids do these days. My kids tell me that is how it is. I let the teacher knew that if I ever hear of any of my kids doing that the will have their asses kicked.

I found out that she is my sons AP Biology teacher (he's in 8th grade but he's so damn smart that he runs over to the high school to go to the class /not humble at all brag).

csb

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
If my kid did this they would be experiencing exactly what the little girl did that got tossed.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
You both are abusive fathers who have no business parenting our cherished youth who are the future of this country. Monsters.

Cotton

Staff member
You both are abusive fathers who have no business parenting our cherished youth. Monsters.
May be, but I can guarantee you my children, even the one with special needs, would never even think to do something like this.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
You both are abusive fathers who have no business parenting our cherished youth who are the future of this country. Monsters.
It is funny how times have changed. The shit that a lot of our parents back in the day did to us would get them arrested today. Of course, I think some of that stuff can lead to a lot of anger inside of a child.

Top Bottom