Garrett: Rushing Success Affected Romo’s Rhythm

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Garrett: Rushing Success Affected Romo’s Rhythm

September 15, 2014 10:37 AM

IRVING (105.3 THE FAN) – The Dallas Cowboys rushing attack dominated the Titans defense on Sunday, piling up 220 yards on the ground en route to a 26-10 victory.

With the running game rolling on all cylinders, Tony Romo and the passing attack largely took a backseat.

Romo was 19-for-29 for 176 yards with one TD and no interceptions. While he converted a number of key first downs, many intermediate throws came up short and appeared to lack zip.

Cowboys head coach Jason Garrett acknowledges that Romo is still working back from surgery, but he also believes the infrequent throwing opportunities affected Romo’s rhythm.

“Sometimes when you play quarterback and you’re running the ball a lot — and that’s the feature part of your offense — sometimes you can get out of whack a little bit because you’re not having the normal and natural rhythm that you have every week,” said Garrett with Shan & RJ on 105.3 The Fan.

But others say that Romo simply didn’t look like himself.

“Tony Romo cannot put the ball where he wants it,” said Brad Sham on the call on 105.3 The Fan.

“I think he’s done a great job with his rehab to get himself to a position where he can play,” said Garrett. “I thought he did a really good job in the game yesterday.”

The Titans’ pass rush was also able to apply constant pressure on Romo, registering four sacks and forcing Romo to move in and out of the pocket. In two weeks, Romo has been sacked 7 times.

“At times there have been individual matchups that we haven’t won,” said Garrett. “At times we haven’t handled stunts as well as we needed to, or seen a look that they showed us and there’s miscommunication. I think yesterday there was a little bit of that.”

“Sometimes those things happen, particularly early in the season when you haven’t see a lot of the looks from the team that you’re playing against. Obviously that’s an area that we have to get better at.”
---------------

Yeah, it really effed up Elway when Terrell Davis showed up.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Uh oh...

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
Holy crap Garrett is actually worse than I thought

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
Yep, he is really out there. Romo played really well on Sunday? Uhh.. okay.
I'm getting a real bad feeling about our commitment to the run

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
:lol

Clearly we will have to pass the ball 50 times. It's the only way we can get Romo back in a rhythm.

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
I'm getting a real bad feeling about our commitment to the run
Ayuh, time to pacify his bff.

They identified the key to success agains Tennesssee...stick to the run and keep your defense well rested.

They should let Romo know that this is how it's gonna be. We saw how shaky he was i b the first game. He doesn'the need to get his timing down in the game, get it in practice. It's been a long lay off, so keep riding Murray and let Romo get his timing down.

I'd take away most of the flexibility he has at the line as well.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
The Rams have been one of the worst teams in defending the run.

Oh, that tricky Garrett.

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
The Rams have been one of the worst teams in defending the run.

Oh, that tricky Garrett.
And thinks he's out smarting everyone.

Maybe he's learned the error of his ways and fools us all. :unsure

UncleMilti

This seemed like a good idea at the time.
Staff member
I feel a HC/mentor meet and greet session brewing.

lostxn

DCC 4Life
Yep, he is really out there. Romo played really well on Sunday? Uhh.. okay.
He played OK. No big mistakes save the overthrow to Witten (which Witten was nice enough to break up the pick). He played a heck of a lot better than Locker. Was it what we expect from Romo? No. But it was a winning NFL caliber performance. He completed 65% of his passes. My main concern is the lack of vertical attack but it wasn't needed that day so it's fine.

DLK150

DCC 4Life
It's a BS excuse but I will say one thing: In games where Romo gets off to a slow/choppy start in a game, it isn't uncommon for him to take awhile to get his shat together. We've played plenty of games since he's been the starter where we end up playing catch up when he starts off slow and doesn't get going until well into the second quarter. It's no excuse for an eight year starter though and it's one of the reasons I thought it was stupid to give him a huge new contract. When he's on and playing well he's a top ten, sometimes top five quarterback but when he's bad, he's bottom fifteen, bottom ten bad.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
That's an encouraging thing to hear going into this week's game against a team that is just asking to be run on.

Thanks, Garrett.

Carp

DCC 4Life
I still think we rely on the run, but this is more to do with protecting his QB in the media than anything else. Romo rightfully took some grief for subpar play in the first game and mediocre play in game two...so his butt buddy is giving him a get out of jail free card.

BipolarFuk

Demoted
Thank goodness this wasn't the case with Troy when we were running Emmitt 25 times per game. :cabbagepatch

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Garrett needs to understand how any whacky shit he says can form the basis for an entire article.

That often happens when you combine a coach who commands little respect with a fanbase counting 19 and a half years since their last Superbowl win.

Bill Parcells could literally say "Jap plays" and no one would care because he handles his football shit.

Jerry Jones, Jason Garrett, and Tony Romo have collectively crapped the bed so often that when Garrett makes a reasonable comment that a QB can lose rhythm when he passes infrequently in a game it's DEFCON 2.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I've long thought that Romo is kind of like a basketball player and needs his "shots" or pass attempts to find a rhythm. You can almost feel it sometimes when he isn't in rhythm and then once he makes a few plays he catches fire and plays well. I also think this is why he sometimes makes what looks like completely bonehead decisions, because so much of what he does is based on instinct/feel.

hstour

Brand New Member
Thank goodness this wasn't the case with Troy when we were running Emmitt 25 times per game. :cabbagepatch
Agreed. Romo had a very Aikman like day stats wise. Those Cowboys teams won a bunch of games that way. That was a dominating win over Tenn. But I guess that doesn't make media headlines and cause clicks on a webpage. So let's make a story about how Garrett "said" Romo needs to throw more.....

Top Bottom