Archer: Cowboys block Browns on Callahan

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Cowboys block Browns on Callahan

Updated: January 28, 2014, 3:25 PM ET

By Todd Archer | ESPN.com

IRVING, Texas -- As top-heavy as the team's offensive staff may seem, the Dallas Cowboys do not want to part ways with Bill Callahan.

According to a source, Dallas turned down the Cleveland Browns' request to interview Callahan, the Cowboys' offensive coordinator/offensive line coach, who called plays in 2013 but will not call them in 2014.

Sources say the Cowboys have hired Scott Linehan, who will assume the play-calling duties. Callahan took over those duties from coach Jason Garrett in 2013, and Dallas averaged 27.4 points but finished 16th in the NFL in yards per game.

A source told ESPNDallas.com that Callahan, whose contract runs through 2014, would not be pleased with the addition of Linehan to the staff. A team can block a coach from interviewing with another team for any position other than head coach.

Callahan, who joined the Cowboys in 2012, worked with new Browns coach Mike Pettine with the New York Jets under Rex Ryan.

If the Cowboys allowed Callahan to leave, they could promote assistant offensive line coach Frank Pollack. He had more day-to-day contact with the line in 2013 because of Callahan's coordinator duties.

According to an NFL.com report, the team also turned down a request last week from the Baltimore Ravens.

The Cowboys have yet to announce Linehan's hiring, but he was involved in staff meetings Monday. He spent the past five years as the Detroit Lions' offensive coordinator.

In 2005, Linehan worked with Garrett on Nick Saban's staff with the Miami Dolphins.

dallen

Senior Tech
This is stupid. Why would any non-desperate coach ever come here?

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Yes, obvious.
I don't see any reason why Callahan is considered part of the problem any more than Garrett is. You can't tell me that his role as "playcaller" meant that he was solely in charge of deciding situational playcalls.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
This is stupid. Why would any non-desperate coach ever come here?
Exactly.

Unless you were a flatout terrible, why the hell would you coach in Dallas?

Callahan is one of those guys who has a long history of being in the league and will always find work. So unless you're either awful or have serious doubts you'll get a job with another pro team, then why waste your time being on both a team that won't win shit, and worst of all, does not create the best or most professional environment for their coaches?

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Not sure why everyone is so up in arms that Dallas is requiring their coach to fulfill his contract.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
Because it's stupid....he was our OC/Playcaller and now he's not going to be that anymore.

Why the hell would he want to take a demotion to O-line coach when he can go elsewhere and be what he wants to be which is the OC?

If we weren't bringing in Linehan, then you'd have a point, but given the actual situation, it is flat out stupid.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Not sure why everyone is so up in arms that Dallas is requiring their coach to fulfill his contract.
Because he doesn't want to be there now, and it will do nothing but cause disruption. What's the point of keeping him? Pollack has handled the OL enough to not need Callahan to stick around. It only adds more dysfunction, which we need less of.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

Motherfucker.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member

Motherfucker.
:lol

Texas Ace

Teh Acester

Motherfucker.
:lol:lol

So, we're prepared to fire Garrett midseason, and want THIS guy to be the interim coach?

Let me get this straight.....if we're already thinking about the possibility of getting rid of Garrett in the middle of a season, then that means the team already doubts his ability to do the job, but yet instead of getting rid of him now and bringing in an entirely new coaching staff like a real organization would, we've decided to bring 99% of the staff back and just hope that somehow things maybe sorta turn out differently.....and if they don't, then we'll get Callahan to right the ship.

Outstanding.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I don't see any reason why Callahan is considered part of the problem any more than Garrett is. You can't tell me that his role as "playcaller" meant that he was solely in charge of deciding situational playcalls.
I'm being sarcastic, I think it's laughable how they're handling this situation, it's so dysfunctional just like everything else the team does.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life

Motherfucker.
If true that's so ridiculous it's truly baffling in so many ways. What value would Callahan have as interim HC over Marinelli, Kiffin, any other position coach, a dead dog, Jerry's wife or anybody else?

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
It is unreal. We have a built-in interim just in case the trainee fails?

You can't make this shit up.

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member

Motherfucker.
:lol

I think Jerry got all excited when a player from another team towards the end of the year (was it a Slur? An Eagle?) that said Dallas had the best run blocking scheme in the NFL. He must have been absolutely beaming when he heard that. He probably really wants to keep Callahan as an OL coach for as long as possible so he's telling him that he's next in line, whether it's true or not. I suppose it probably is true that he would be interim HC if Garrett were to be fired but no way in hell would he ever be hired on a permanent basis. At least I don't think he would...:unsure

Bob Roberts

Professor StinkFinger

Motherfucker.
:diejerry

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Because he doesn't want to be there now, and it will do nothing but cause disruption. What's the point of keeping him? Pollack has handled the OL enough to not need Callahan to stick around.
You assume he is unhappy but no one really knows that.

It's funny because if an NFL player gets beat out by someone else for his position no one thinks the team should just give the player away when he is still under contract. Yet when a coach loses his title of play caller suddenly it's a travesty that Dallas won't pay him to coach somewhere else. I'm sorry that I'm not shedding tears for a coach who will make a lot of money from Dallas next season simply because he lost the title of play caller.

Top Bottom