JJT: It's obvious Stephen is running the show now

Newt

DCC 4Life
The McFadden signing frees us up to not have to be so locked into a RB at 27. I really don't think they signed him with the intention of him being the primary back. Stephen had those numbers showing the decline of RBs at McFadden's age, so he is clearly just a part of the RB puzzle.
I want to agree with this, I would love to think that we have enough for sight to say, "hey, lets sign this guy, then if we get to the draft and one of the top running backs is on the board but there is still a defensive player that we really like too we aren't forced to take the running back."

I would still have a problem if we passed on Gordon because we were banking on McFadden though. The only bright side is a deep running back class, but we got used to the idea of a stud running back last season and to go back to running back by committee would be a mistake IMO. If we can get a solid d-tackle I wouldn't have a problem pushing RB to the third round, I just have no idea what will be available at 27.

Carp

DCC 4Life
I want to agree with this, I would love to think that we have enough for sight to say, "hey, lets sign this guy, then if we get to the draft and one of the top running backs is on the board but there is still a defensive player that we really like too we aren't forced to take the running back."

I would still have a problem if we passed on Gordon because we were banking on McFadden though. The only bright side is a deep running back class, but we got used to the idea of a stud running back last season and to go back to running back by committee would be a mistake IMO. If we can get a solid d-tackle I wouldn't have a problem pushing RB to the third round, I just have no idea what will be available at 27.
I think if you wait until the 3rd you are looking at Cobb and David Johnson. Yeldon may still be there as well. The team clearly believes in the OL and that a RB is interchangeable.

Plan9Misfit

Appreciate The Hate
I think if you wait until the 3rd you are looking at Cobb and David Johnson. Yeldon may still be there as well. The team clearly believes in the OL and that a RB is interchangeable.
And they'd be correct.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
If they believe anyone can run behind this line, they sure didn't show it last year when they refused to rest Murray even in blowouts.

Bob Roberts

Professor StinkFinger
We'll see when Romo is gone. I judge a FO by their ability to find a QB. Jerry didn't value investing draft picks into the position, choosing to go with FA and baseball players instead. We'll see if Stephen is any different.

townsend

Banned
We'll see when Romo is gone. I judge a FO by their ability to find a QB. Jerry didn't value investing draft picks into the position, choosing to go with FA and baseball players instead. We'll see if Stephen is any different.
I'm really worried by the coaches we have in place. I think coaches have a lot more to do with cultivating a good QB than picking the right prospect. We got Romo in the tiniest window when Sean Payton, Bill Parcells and even Vinny Testaverde could help coach him up. 999 times out of 1000 Romo leaves the league without ever completing a pass in the NFL.
You see guys like Holmgren, Reid, never seem to have to look hard for a QB. In fact Holmgren and Reid can trade away their backup QBs for serious picks. Alex Smith was a draft bust of a QB for most of his career until Harbaugh turned him into a damn decent one, then his backup surpassed him. After a decade without a QB, Harbaugh managed to coach up two in a season and a half.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
I'm really worried by the coaches we have in place. I think coaches have a lot more to do with cultivating a good QB than picking the right prospect. We got Romo in the tiniest window when Sean Payton, Bill Parcells and even Vinny Testaverde could help coach him up. 999 times out of 1000 Romo leaves the league without ever completing a pass in the NFL.
You see guys like Holmgren, Reid, never seem to have to look hard for a QB. In fact Holmgren and Reid can trade away their backup QBs for serious picks. Alex Smith was a draft bust of a QB for most of his career until Harbaugh turned him into a damn decent one, then his backup surpassed him. After a decade without a QB, Harbaugh managed to coach up two in a season and a half.
Oh ye of little faith in the great Wade Wilson.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
You see guys like Holmgren, Reid, never seem to have to look hard for a QB. In fact Holmgren and Reid can trade away their backup QBs for serious picks.
The combination of Parcells, Payton, Lee, and Palmer grooming Tony Romo and hiding him on their roster from Jerry Jones for three years is something akin to a football miracle. These things happen rarely if ever anywhere in this league.

Any QB coaching would be found wanting next to that.

Alex Smith was a draft bust of a QB for most of his career until Harbaugh turned him into a damn decent one, then his backup surpassed him. After a decade without a QB, Harbaugh managed to coach up two in a season and a half.
Smith was front and center Hairball's only choice, so he built a very conservative offense that featured his skills. And Smith was still God-awful.

Looking at the talent around him in the early part of this decade Smith should be embarrassed and beaten with a cane for not winning a Superbowl. He was the single reason they couldn't hang with the Giants in the playoffs, and exactly why the 49ers drafted Kaepernick in the 2nd round.

And Kaeperkick is also God-awful. Hey guys, let's draft a fucking QB whose #1 skill is running the fucking football! That team will be lucky to win 5 games next year. Great job, Jim!

Parcells left Dallas with what's turning out to be an all-timer in Romo. Fuck it, I said it. Tony Romo is a great QB.

townsend

Banned
Smith was front and center Hairball's only choice, so he built a very conservative offense that featured his skills. And Smith was still God-awful.

Looking at the talent around him in the early part of this decade Smith should be embarrassed and beaten with a cane for not winning a Superbowl. He was the single reason they couldn't hang with the Giants in the playoffs, and exactly why the 49ers drafted Kaepernick in the 2nd round.

And Kaeperkick is also God-awful. Hey guys, let's draft a fucking QB whose #1 skill is running the fucking football! That team will be lucky to win 5 games next year. Great job, Jim!

Parcells left Dallas with what's turning out to be an all-timer in Romo. Fuck it, I said it. Tony Romo is a great QB.
God Awful seems unfair. Smith's 38-16 as a starter since starting for Harbaugh and Reid. He beat Drew Brees (admittedly a lot of QBs have done that now.) in a playoff shootout, and would have gone to the SB if it wasn't for 2 muffed punts. Kaepernick has some pretty great games under his belt, although he seems to be a quickly diminishing commodity. Running QBs have such a short shelf life. Like 2 years it seems.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
The combination of Parcells, Payton, Lee, and Palmer grooming Tony Romo and hiding him on their roster from Jerry Jones for three years is something akin to a football miracle. These things happen rarely if ever anywhere in this league.

Any QB coaching would be found wanting next to that.

What took you so long. Its been apparent for a while now. :art

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
God Awful seems unfair. Smith's 38-16 as a starter since starting for Harbaugh and Reid. He beat Drew Brees (admittedly a lot of QBs have done that now.) in a playoff shootout, and would have gone to the SB if it wasn't for 2 muffed punts. Kaepernick has some pretty great games under his belt, although he seems to be a quickly diminishing commodity. Running QBs have such a short shelf life. Like 2 years it seems.
For 2-3 seasons San Fran far and away had the league's best OL, best TE, an elite RB in Gore, and the conference's if not the league's best front seven. Their best WR, Crabtree, while not great was still good.

How on Earth does a team like that find ways to choke it away?? They should have been dominant in every regard, and QB was the #1 reason they didn't win 2 out of three Superbowls from 2011-2013.

I mean, how would you feel if Dallas had all that talent, but couldn't bring home a championship because the QB was unbelievably bad vs. elite competition? Watch that Giants playoff game if you ever get a chance. It was like Alex Smith couldn't complete a single pass when they needed it.

I can't imagine the frustration a guy like Patrick Willis must have felt leaving nothing on the field only to have every opportunity squandered.

Top Bottom