Pre-Season Chatter Thread | Cowboys v Texans| 09/01/16

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
5 things to watch for in Cowboys' preseason finale: QB Jameill Showers to play entire game

By Jon Machota , Staff Writer

If you're looking to see Dez Bryant, Dak Prescott or Ezekiel Elliott, Thursday night's final preseason game isn't for you.

This one's about trimming the bottom of the roster and filling out the practice squad.

The Cowboys must have their roster down to 53 players by Saturday. Executive vice president Stephen Jones said the last preseason game has impacted those decisions in the past.

"We'll see if some guys can make some plays and maybe get themselves a spot, whether it's on the final 53 or the practice squad," Jones said. "It's a competitive situation out there. I actually really enjoy watching the game."

Here are five things to watch for when the Cowboys host the Houston Texans on Thursday night at AT&T Stadium.

1. Quarterback

Injuries have left the Cowboys with only two quarterbacks. Since Dak Prescott won't be playing, Jameill Showers is expected to get all of the work. He has completed 19 of 37 passes for 227 yards and one touchdown through three preseason games.

"We think he's got a future," Stephen Jones said. "He's got all the intangibles you look for. He throws one of the better balls, I think, that I've seen come through here. He can really spin it."

What would the Cowboys do if Showers gets hurt? A position player could be forced into action. Wide receiver Cole Beasley would be the next man up if it was a regular-season game, but Jones ruled that idea out for the preseason finale.

The Cowboys went with only one quarterback in last year's fourth preseason game. Dustin Vaughan was 11 of 20 passing for 115 yards in a 21-14 victory over the Texans.

2. Tight end

Rookies Rico Gathers and Austin Traylor should see a lot of playing time. Traylor, an undrafted free agent, has a much better chance of making the final roster than Gathers, a sixth-round pick.
Traylor is a better blocker and more fundamentally sound than the more athletic Gathers, who returned to football this year after not playing since eighth grade.

Cowboys coach Jason Garrett said Gathers has "improved dramatically," but the former Baylor basketball player has only been in for nine snaps during the preseason. Traylor has been on the field for 73 offensive snaps and 39 with the special teams unit.

3. Defensive line

Defensive coordinator Rod Marinelli is still figuring out who will make up his eight-man rotation on Sundays. Players to watch Thursday night: second-year defensive ends Ryan Russell and David Irving and rookie defensive tackle Maliek Collins. All three need work, and there will be plenty of snaps to go around. Also, keep an eye on veteran outside linebacker Kyle Wilber. He's played defensive end in the past and has been getting some work there lately.

4. Chaz Green

The Cowboys need the young offensive tackle to take on a larger role and become the team's swing tackle. Green was drafted in the third round last year, but a hip injury prevented him from playing in any games. He's seen a lot of work this preseason at both tackle spots, playing a team-high 143 snaps. He's struggled with consistency, so Thursday night will be another important test.

5. Darius Jackson

The sixth-round pick out of Eastern Michigan should lead the team in carries against Houston. Through the first three preseason games, the versatile runner has carried 31 times for 120 yards. He looked good in his last outing, rushing five times for 30 yards in Seattle.

Cotton

Staff member

dallen

Senior Tech
Weird they didn't also mention he's played for the Montreal Alouettes, Hartford Colonials, and Sacramento Mountain Lions.

Cotton

Staff member
Weird they didn't also mention he's also played for the Montreal Alouettes, Hartford Colonials, and Sacramento Mountain Lions.
And, now the Dallas Cowboys. The signing is official.

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member
He is a body for the game only. At least he better be.
Yeah, I hope he isn't our choice at finding a backup til Romo gets back. We need someone at #2 ahead of Showers, not some bottom tier 3rd stringer behind Showers.

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member
By Jon Machota , Staff Writer

2. Tight end

Rookies Rico Gathers and Austin Traylor should see a lot of playing time. Traylor, an undrafted free agent, has a much better chance of making the final roster than Gathers, a sixth-round pick.
Traylor is a better blocker and more fundamentally sound than the more athletic Gathers, who returned to football this year after not playing since eighth grade.

Cowboys coach Jason Garrett said Gathers has "improved dramatically," but the former Baylor basketball player has only been in for nine snaps during the preseason. Traylor has been on the field for 73 offensive snaps and 39 with the special teams unit.

3. Defensive line

Defensive coordinator Rod Marinelli is still figuring out who will make up his eight-man rotation on Sundays. Players to watch Thursday night: second-year defensive ends Ryan Russell and David Irving and rookie defensive tackle Maliek Collins. All three need work, and there will be plenty of snaps to go around. Also, keep an eye on veteran outside linebacker Kyle Wilber. He's played defensive end in the past and has been getting some work there lately.
I know it was only a late 6th round pick, but there were several much better options then instead of taking a gamble on a major experiment like Gathers. Maybe he lands on the PS and can develop, but I doubt it.

As for the DL, I think this will be our major achilles heel this year, even when Lawrence comes back. None of them capable of generating much of a pass rush. And with our shaky secondary I think we're going to have a lot of problems stopping teams this year. Hopefully we can at least be strong against the run but that remains to be seen.

DLK150

DCC 4Life
Weird they didn't also mention he's played for the Montreal Alouettes, Hartford Colonials, and Sacramento Mountain Lions.
I'm watching a replay of the Seattle game, saw this scrolling across the screen and my reaction was "Who the eff is Jerrod Johnson??" I mean seriously, a guy in his late twenties that has bounced around from team to team who has never taken a snap in the league? That's all you can come up with?

Ah, I see he went to TX A&M. Enough said.

DLK150

DCC 4Life
FWIW, tonight's game will be replayed on NFLN at 4PM eastern tomorrow afternoon.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
I know it was only a late 6th round pick, but there were several much better options then instead of taking a gamble on a major experiment like Gathers. Maybe he lands on the PS and can develop, but I doubt it.

As for the DL, I think this will be our major achilles heel this year, even when Lawrence comes back. None of them capable of generating much of a pass rush. And with our shaky secondary I think we're going to have a lot of problems stopping teams this year. Hopefully we can at least be strong against the run but that remains to be seen.
I think the biggest problem Dallas will have this season is continuity on the offense. Prescott might be a little streaky the first few games and the defense may be on the field too long. I would like to think a strong running game would offset this but I fear defenses will stack on the Cowboys until Prescott can prove he can burn them.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm watching a replay of the Seattle game, saw this scrolling across the screen and my reaction was "Who the eff is Jerrod Johnson??" I mean seriously, a guy in his late twenties that has bounced around from team to team who has never taken a snap in the league? That's all you can come up with?

Ah, I see he went to TX A&M. Enough said.
I think he is there just in case Showers gets hurt so we have someone to throw into the game. Seems like a really random choice though.

Newt

DCC 4Life
I think he is there just in case Showers gets hurt so we have someone to throw into the game. Seems like a really random choice though.
He was probably in town for the weekend, basically a cheap date.

dallen

Senior Tech
Is anyone going to actually watch this game?

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Actually, we have worked him out in the past.

Just goes to show you how this pro personnel staff is lazy as shit.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Is anyone going to actually watch this game?
If I still had the NFL Game Pass I would but watching some shitty internet feed that chops in and out seems like a waste of my time. Maybe I'll spring the $99 and just get the Game Pass for the season.

Cotton

Staff member
If I still had the NFL Game Pass I would but watching some shitty internet feed that chops in and out seems like a waste of my time. Maybe I'll spring the $99 and just get the Game Pass for the season.
The All-22s might make it worth it.

Top Bottom