Best remaining prospects- NFL.com

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I know what you meant, but those Brady qualities mixed with obvious physical talent should make him an easy choice. I'm guessing he was just talking up a player for confidence purposes rather than actually believing it.
It wasn't O'Brien who said it. It was Jon Gruden actually. Of course Gruden thought he was a first rounder, so I try to limit the stock I put in Gruden. But hearing Hackenburg talk about what he was doing his freshman year, there is no question the guy was doing some really advanced stuff.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think Hackenburg is just broken. If he'd been able to stay in O'Brien's system and played out his college career with continuity I think he'd be a first round QB. I think the circumstances at Penn State gave him the yips.
This is my feeling. They beat him down, put him in a terrible system and changed his footwork and everything that was comfortable for him. Maybe with the right QB coach who lets him sit for a few years he can be fixed but that's not Dallas. Bad QB coach here and he'll be forced into service before he is ever ready.

Hoffa

DCC 4Life
I hope we go Spence or Robinson at 34. I'm not on the Dodd train at all. Guy is slow, and already 23. Nice against the run but he'll never be a great pass rusher. I don't like him or Ogbah before the 3rd round.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
I hope we go Spence or Robinson at 34. I'm not on the Dodd train at all. Guy is slow, and already 23. Nice against the run but he'll never be a great pass rusher. I don't like him or Ogbah before the 3rd round.
Do we really need another drug user who is going to be suspended?

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
Kevin Hogan too.
I'd take him with one of our 6ths of he's still there. And I'd consider Hackenberg in the 3rd depending who's there, too. I just don't like him in the 2nd. Or the top of the 3rd, really. But could be talked into it. Especially if it keeps us from Prescott.

Angrymesscan

DCC 4Life
If both IR LB's are gone I'd use the first Comp pick on Hogan (if he's still there...)

Hoffa

DCC 4Life
Do we really need another drug user who is going to be suspended?

I'm not so worried about it. Who pegged Lawrence as a druggie? Kids these days, etc. But I dunno, it's been two years for Spence, he seems to have straightened his shit out.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
One of the ESPN commentators said Hackenburg was the best QB, but his completion percentage suffered because he was hit so much and behind a good offensive line he would be great. I don't know much about him but do any of you agree with this? Do you think he would succeed as a Cowboy?
Probably not. He hasn't had any continuity in his college career and to add to this he is coming out a year early so that doesn't help with the lack of continuity. I think he would be a lot like McGee. A good athlete but short on execution and read abilities.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
The PSU coaches screwed with Hackenburg's mechanics and screwed him all up. On top of that the system was not a fit. Add the sieve offensive line and you have a shell shocked QB with bad numbers.

The talent is there. If he can be fixed, his upside is tremendous. A lot of QBs never recover from that sort of stuff though, so the risk is also high. And, he needs to go somewhere that can teach and mold him correctly.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
And why all the Conor Cook hate? Am I missing something with him?
Cook is a guy I would like to root for but his college career isn't anything to get excited about. He has the raw tools but what I have seen of him is he is really inconsistent with his execution. He might make a decent project or he might excel but he is a gamble. 4th rounder at best.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dodd will be 24 in like 2 months.

Why the Ogbah hate though?

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
It wasn't O'Brien who said it. It was Jon Gruden actually. Of course Gruden thought he was a first rounder, so I try to limit the stock I put in Gruden. But hearing Hackenburg talk about what he was doing his freshman year, there is no question the guy was doing some really advanced stuff.
I'm pretty sure O'Brien has compared him to Brady in the past also. Though I'm also sure he was just pumping him up.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Cook is a guy I would like to root for but his college career isn't anything to get excited about.
Well to be fair it kind of depends by what you mean when you say "his college career isn't anything to get excited about." The guy won more then any QB in school history. He finished with a 34-5 record which is very impressive. He also had a great TD to INT ratio, meaning he didn't make many mistakes. He had an excellent YPA and threw for a good amount of yards each of the last two seasons.

The only real knock on his "college career" is that he had a low completion percentage. Essentially we all kind of draw an imaginary line at 60% and he never crossed it. But other then that I'd say he had a pretty stellar college career. It's the upside with him that is the major hangup for me.

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Well to be fair it kind of depends by what you mean when you say "his college career isn't anything to get excited about." The guy won more then any QB in school history. He finished with a 34-5 record which is very impressive. He also had a great TD to INT ratio, meaning he didn't make many mistakes. He had an excellent YPA and threw for a good amount of yards each of the last two seasons.

The only real knock on his "college career" is that he had a low completion percentage. Essentially we all kind of draw an imaginary line at 60% and he never crossed it. But other then that I'd say he had a pretty stellar college career. It's the upside with him that is the major hangup for me.
You nailed what I don't like. He is not consistent with his arm.

Top Bottom