Divisional Playoff Stuff...

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
The two defenses are almost identical in terms of points and yards allowed per game, our run defense is ranked 8th, theirs is 23rd, our pass defense is ranked 26th, theirs is 10th.

The rest of the defensive stats are pretty much identical except for sacks, they have 41, we have 28, which is to be expected really.

Check out the Packers run defense since about week 8 or 9, when they moved Matthews inside. I think they've averaged giving up something like 65 yards per game on the ground since that time.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Check out the Packers run defense since about week 8 or 9, when they moved Matthews inside. I think they've averaged giving up something like 65 yards per game on the ground since that time.
Balanced offenses would be the comparisons I'm interested in as they are what 3-4 defenses struggle against.

The Pats averaged 5.7 yards per rush against them. Joique Bell averaged 4.6. They held Shady in check, though I think the Eagles' OL was seriously banged up in that Packers game.

I don't think the Packers front is going to beat this Dallas OL consistently with the threat of a good passing game. Witten vs the Packer safeties will be a very interesting matchup because they will want to cheat to stop the run.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
They have a much better front 4 than us.
They are but I don't think you're going to beat the Packers by blitzing. Rodgers is too good and will pick blitzes apart. I think we need to use a similar game plan to tht of the Bills. We don't have to be as good on defense as the Bills because our offense isn't as bad as the Bills.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Some of that is just matchups. When you are playing bottom feeders like the Bucs it's easy to skew the numbers a little.

kidd

DCC 4Life
p1_ said:
Green Bay is humble, hungry and undefeated at home (8-0) while Dallas is showy, driven and undefeated on the road (8-0). The Packers, a steady perennial power, have been in the playoffs six straight seasons.
I don't see this at all. Dallas "showey"? GB humble? Is that why Rodgers does the discount double check after every score? Because he's so humble? I guess Romoing is to be considered "showey."

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
p1_;173478 Robert Zizzo I think the Buffalo game had as much to do with Buffalo's defensive front four as it did with timing. The Bills said:
To be fair, I should have quoted this post.

p1_

DCC 4Life
I lifted some chat content from greenbaypressgazette.com -packers-chat-robert-zizzo

Comment From Jesse

Robert, Loyal Packers fan from the DFW area here… I understand Aaron needing to rest up the calf and I have all the faith in him to get us the win Sunday. Listening to the teams comments, they’re not worried about the rest affecting their timing…but how do we explain what happen in Buffalo? It looked like him and the receivers weren't in sync for that game…..I’d just hate for this to happen again..
via

Robert Zizzo

I think the Buffalo game had as much to do with Buffalo's defensive front four as it did with timing. The Bills, unlike a lot of teams, were able to get ample pressure rushing only four, allowing them to cover with 11. Most teams aren't that effective and have to blitz to get pressure. Dallas will be forced to blitz, which normally plays into Aaron Rodgers' game, which is to scramble and extend plays. But on Sunday, it could be troublesome for a less-mobile Rodgers.

Comment From Matt
I keep hearing about DAL's takeaway numbers, but if they DO get some running success, do you feel GB can then exploit the DAL secondary?
via
·
about 15 hours ago
Robert Zizzo
I think that will be their game plan: run Eddie Lacy effectively enough that Dallas has to move a safety closer to the line of scrimmage, then play-action off that. But game plans only work if they are executed properly.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I just re-watched the Lions/Packers game and if that is the Rodgers we see tomorrow we will have a very good chance of winning. They started out heavy with the run to begin with which shows that Rodgers clearly wasn't 100% from the start. The run was working early, probably because the Lions were playing the pass first but they got it under control as the game went on. Rodgers was clearly favoring his leg from the start, which obviously continued after he aggravated it, but even from the start most of his passes were short, generally quick slants and ins over the middle of the field, mixed in with dump offs to RB's out of the backfield and a few WR screens.

There were very few shots taken deep or passes to the boundary, mostly everything was short and over the middle. Basically, I don't think he had his legs under him enough to be able to generate enough power to make those passes. He could still shuffle and move in the pocket but not as effective as he usually could.

Of course we need to play defense like he can make every pass early on but if he re-aggravates the injury or generally shows that he can't make those throws we need to aggressively defend against those quick passes over the middle. I think if that happens we could generate a turnover or two by tipping passes in the middle of the field where there are generally alot of defenders.

Defensively it seems they really like delayed blitzes from different areas of the field so Romo has to be careful of that and not be fooled into just going with his pre-snap read where he thinks a guy is coming and then drops off. Other than that I think we can hit them pretty good if we can pick up their pressures.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

Cotton

Staff member
The closer and closer we get to the game, the more and more anxious I am getting. If we can get disruption on our DL, and can contain Lacy, I think we can win this walking away, but it could also go the far other way, and we could get mudstomped. I'm just so scared right now.

Cotton

Staff member
Dan Bailey prepared to kick in cold weather
January, 10, 2015

By Todd Archer | ESPNDallas.com

IRVING, Texas -- Dan Bailey has kicked in cold weather before.

It was 8 degrees at kickoff when the Dallas Cowboys lost to the Chicago Bears 45-28 at Soldier Field on Dec. 9, 2013.

Well, he kicked but he did not have a field goal attempt. He did have a bruise thanks the ball feeling more like a rock in the cold weather.

"I pretty much had a bruise on my foot from hitting the ball on the sideline and obviously in the game (kicking off, point after attempts)," Bailey said. "It’s just part of it."

Temperatures are forecast for the low 20s on Sunday when the Cowboys play the Green Bay Packers in the divisional round at Lambeau Field. When the Cowboys stop at the stadium after arriving today, Bailey might take notice of the field and wind conditions more than most players.

"Obviously it affects the distance and it doesn’t seem to travel as well, but the good thing is it’s the same thing for both teams, so you just kind of have to deal with it and make the most of it."

Bailey said he has to be more mindful of his technique, especially on kickoffs, because the harder he might try to swing at the ball, the worse the kick might be.

His pregame warm-up will also be important.

"I try to keep it the same," he said. "If you’re struggling to make it from 45, there’s no reason to back up to 55. You kind of have to cut your losses there if that’s the case. But if you’re feeling good and the ball is traveling well, yeah, you just try to keep it as normal as possible."

Cotton

Staff member

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
I just re-watched the Lions/Packers game and if that is the Rodgers we see tomorrow we will have a very good chance of winning. They started out heavy with the run to begin with which shows that Rodgers clearly wasn't 100% from the start. The run was working early, probably because the Lions were playing the pass first but they got it under control as the game went on. Rodgers was clearly favoring his leg from the start, which obviously continued after he aggravated it, but even from the start most of his passes were short, generally quick slants and ins over the middle of the field, mixed in with dump offs to RB's out of the backfield and a few WR screens.

There were very few shots taken deep or passes to the boundary, mostly everything was short and over the middle. Basically, I don't think he had his legs under him enough to be able to generate enough power to make those passes. He could still shuffle and move in the pocket but not as effective as he usually could.

Of course we need to play defense like he can make every pass early on but if he re-aggravates the injury or generally shows that he can't make those throws we need to aggressively defend against those quick passes over the middle. I think if that happens we could generate a turnover or two by tipping passes in the middle of the field where there are generally alot of defenders.

Defensively it seems they really like delayed blitzes from different areas of the field so Romo has to be careful of that and not be fooled into just going with his pre-snap read where he thinks a guy is coming and then drops off. Other than that I think we can hit them pretty good if we can pick up their pressures.
Agree with you... And I think there's an even chance he's injures it again during the game. At the least, I bet he takes some Romo-like dives at the first sign of pressure, because he knows he can't take off and run.

But on the other hand, they did beat the Lions worse than we did even with Rodgers coming out of the game for a while and freaking Matt Flynn getting some time. And it was just the week before we played them, so it's not like the team changed a lot from the time they played them to when we did.

Top Bottom