MLB Chatter Thread

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
Derek Holland injured his left knee in a fall at home, likely out until mid-season
Bill Baer
Jan 10, 2014, 6:26 PM EST

Gerry Fraley of the Dallas Morning News reports some bad news for Rangers fans on Twitter: lefty starter Derek Holland injured his left knee in a fall at home and earlier today underwent arthroscopic surgery to repair torn cartilage. Fraley adds that Holland is likely out until mid-season.

Fraley spoke to GM Jon Daniels, who said the Holland injury won’t pressure the organization to make a move for a “big ticket” pitcher such as Japanese star Masahiro Tanaka. The Rangers will likely fill the void with an in-house option such as Robbie Ross.

Holland, 27, was a big part of the Rangers’ plans in 2014 considering his career year last season. He finished with a 3.42 ERA in 213 innings as well as a 21 percent strikeout rate and 7 percent walk rate.
---------------------------------

Not good news for the Rangers. They'll get by without him for the first half of the season but he's obviously better than Ross or whoever will be replacing him.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Season hasn't even started and we already have injuries.

Fuckinshitfuck

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
Not looking good for the rotation. Already with a question marks in Harrison (multiple back surgeries) and Ogando (always gets hurt as a starter). I guess Ol Suck Ass will get his shot.

D

Deuce

Not looking good for the rotation. Already with a question marks in Harrison (multiple back surgeries) and Ogando (always gets hurt as a starter). I guess Ol Suck Ass will get his shot.
Music to opposing hitters ears.

Rev

Staff member
Music to opposing hitters ears.
I brought him up just for you. I would imagine Tepesch will win out barring any surprise signing or trade. Daniels has already commented that that is not likely so expect Tanaka to be a Ranger come January 25.

dallen

Senior Tech
Derek Holland injured his left knee in a fall at home, likely out until mid-season
Bill Baer
Jan 10, 2014, 6:26 PM EST

Gerry Fraley of the Dallas Morning News reports some bad news for Rangers fans on Twitter: lefty starter Derek Holland injured his left knee in a fall at home and earlier today underwent arthroscopic surgery to repair torn cartilage. Fraley adds that Holland is likely out until mid-season.

Fraley spoke to GM Jon Daniels, who said the Holland injury won’t pressure the organization to make a move for a “big ticket” pitcher such as Japanese star Masahiro Tanaka. The Rangers will likely fill the void with an in-house option such as Robbie Ross.

Holland, 27, was a big part of the Rangers’ plans in 2014 considering his career year last season. He finished with a 3.42 ERA in 213 innings as well as a 21 percent strikeout rate and 7 percent walk rate.
---------------------------------

Not good news for the Rangers. They'll get by without him for the first half of the season but he's obviously better than Ross or whoever will be replacing him.
FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUk

Cotton

Staff member
A-Rod's ban reduced to 162 games

Updated: January 11, 2014, 12:36 PM ET
By Wallace Matthews | ESPNNewYork.com

Alex Rodriguez has been suspended for the entire 2014 season by arbitrator Fredric Horowitz, who handed down a 162-game ban to the New York Yankees third baseman for his involvement in Major League Baseball's Biogenesis scandal.

The suspension also includes all potential playoff games in 2014.

Horowitz's ruling upholds a good portion of the original 211-game suspension levied by MLB, which banned Rodriguez in August after concluding its investigation. Rodriguez continued playing after appealing the decision.

Twelve other players were suspended as a result of the investigation, although none for longer than the 65 games given to Milwaukee Brewers slugger Ryan Braun. The other players were suspended 50 games, the punishment for first-time drug offenders stipulated by baseball's collective bargaining agreement.

While the decision is a reduction of the punishment baseball sought, it still could mean the end of Rodriguez's playing career.

He will turn 39 in July and, coming off two hip surgeries and a 2013 season in which he played just 44 games, may not be able to return after sitting out an entire season.

The suspension a the culmination of a nearly yearlong process dating to a story in the Miami New Times last January that revealed the names of Rodriguez and others in the records of Biogenesis, a now-shuttered Coral Gables anti-aging clinic suspected of being a source of performance-enhancing drugs for MLB players and other athletes.

The testimony of Anthony Bosch, the clinic's proprietor, was a key element in baseball's case against Rodriguez, as were copies of the records, which baseball paid in excess of $125,000 to obtain.

As expected, Rodriguez said he will contest Saturday's decision in federal court. His spokesman issued a statement before the decision was even officially announced, calling the suspension "inconsistent" and based on "false and wholly unreliable testimony."

"The number of games sadly comes as no surprise, as the deck has been stacked against me from day one," Rodriguez said in the statement. "This is one man's decision, that was not put before a fair and impartial jury, does not involve me having failed a single drug test, is at odds with the facts and is inconsistent with the terms of the Joint Drug Agreement and the Basic Agreement, and relies on testimony and documents that would never have been allowed in any court in the United States because they are false and wholly unreliable.

"This injustice is MLB's first step toward abolishing guaranteed contracts in the 2016 bargaining round, instituting lifetime bans for single violations of drug policy, and further insulating its corrupt investigative program from any variety defense by accused players, or any variety of objective review."

Rodriguez reiterated his claim that he has not taken any PEDs in his time with the Yankees. The three-time American League MVP was biggest name linked last year to Biogenesis.

"I have been clear that I did not use performance enhancing substances as alleged in the notice of discipline, or violate the Basic Agreement or the Joint Drug Agreement in any manner, and in order to prove it I will take this fight to federal court," Rodriguez said in his statement. "I am confident that when a Federal Judge reviews the entirety of the record, the hearsay testimony of a criminal whose own records demonstrate that he dealt drugs to minors, and the lack of credible evidence put forth by MLB, that the judge will find that the panel blatantly disregarded the law and facts, and will overturn the suspension.

"No player should have to go through what I have been dealing with, and I am exhausting all options to ensure not only that I get justice, but that players' contracts and rights are protected through the next round of bargaining, and that the MLB investigation and arbitration process cannot be used against others in the future the way it is currently being used to unjustly punish me.

"I will continue to work hard to get back on the field and help the Yankees achieve the ultimate goal of winning another championship. I want to sincerely thank my family, all of my friends, and of course the fans and many of my fellow MLB players for the incredible support I received throughout this entire ordeal."

MLB officials were not immediately available for comment.

D

Deuce

I wish they would have reduced it to 161. The fact that those jokers are going to get any salary relief is a travesty.

Tony D

DCC 4Life
I wish they would have reduced it to 161. The fact that those jokers are going to get any salary relief is a travesty.
More to spend on Tanaka or to stay under the $189 million mark with you said would never happen. I hope it doesn't happen though. They need to make a few more moves with or without Tanaka.

Rev

Staff member
Gerry Fraley of the Morning News is now reporting that Holland had micro-fracture surgery and his availability for the 2014 season is in doubt

:budd

Cotton

Staff member
That really really sucks.

Cotton

Staff member
ESPN - Dodgers agree with Clayton Kershaw on 7-yr, $215 million deal (richest contract for pitcher) - ESPN.com

Rev

Staff member
Guess the Yanks are now the frontrunner for Tanaka. Hope he breaks his arm while signing.

D

Deuce

Price is licking his chops to get to FA. He won't get near this but that won't stop him from asking.

Rev

Staff member
He should get about what Garza gets this year.

Cotton

Staff member

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
Until now, video review was only allowed for boundary calls involving home runs, and it happened at the discretion of the umpires, who would leave the field to look at replays and then return to make their decision known.

Beginning this season, each manager will start a game with one challenge. If it is upheld, he retains his challenge but can never have more than two in a game. If the manager exhausts his challenges before the start of the seventh inning, he is out of luck, adding a new element of strategy to the game. Beginning in the top of the seventh, the crew chief is empowered to institute a review.

The on-site officials will not make the call, however. All reviews will be conducted at the Replay Command Center at MLBAM headquarters in New York. Two additional four-man umpiring crews will be hired and umpires will be rotated through New York to review video feeds. Every ballpark will have a designated communication location near home plate. There, the crew chief and at least one other Major League umpire will have access to a hard-wired headset connected to the Replay Command Center. The decision of the replay official in New York will be final.

Another big change is that teams will be allowed to show replays, including those of disputed plays, on their in-park video boards.

"Our fans will love it," Selig predicted. "You know, the thought that, in the past, I could be sitting at home watching a game and get all the replays. And [somebody else] could be sitting at the ballpark and couldn't see any of these replays. That's just wrong."

Approximately 90 percent of all plays will be subject to review, including calls involving home runs, ground-rule doubles, fan interference, boundary calls, plays at first base, force plays, tag plays, fair-foul and trap plays in the outfield, hit by pitch, timing plays, touching the base, passing runners and any dispute involving ball-strike counts, outs, score or substitutions. All other plays, including interference and obstruction, will not be reviewable.

--------------
I think I like this. I hope it doesn't interfere with the flow of a game, taking too long. But it could be good. It would have gave Armando Galarraga his perfect game a few years ago.

Cotton

Staff member
I like it, too. Especially, the plays at first base and the hit by pitch.

Top Bottom