Archer: Cowboys line could have continuity in 2014

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Cowboys line could have continuity in 2014

January, 17, 2014

By Todd Archer | ESPNDallas.com

IRVING, Texas -- Continuity is a buzzword every year when it comes to offensive line play. For the Dallas Cowboys it is no different.

The Cowboys could have continuity on the line in 2014 for the first time in a long time.

The last time the Cowboys returned the same line from the previous year came in 2008 when they had left tackle Flozell Adams, left guard Kyle Kosier, center Andre Gurode, right guard Leonard Davis and right tackle Marc Colombo.

Kosier played in only three games in 2008 because of a foot injury, but those five guys were in place at the beginning of the 2009 season when the Cowboys went 11-5 and made their most recent playoff appearance. Colombo missed seven games with a broken leg andDoug Free saw the first action of his career.

In 2013 four of the Cowboys five starters at left tackle, left guard, center and right tackle played every game. Mackenzy Bernadeau started 11 games at right guard and Brian Waters started five before his season ended with a torn triceps.

The Cowboys can go into 2014 feeling good about Tyron Smith, Travis Frederick and Free. The Cowboys could look to make moves at left and/or right guard with Ronald Leary and Bernadeau through the draft or in free agency but know they know what they have if they can't.

"It's never set in stone until it's done," Bernadeau said.

The line helped produce the first 1,000-yard rusher since 2006 in DeMarco Murray and protected well enough with the interior more stout than it had been in previous years.

"I want to say it sets the standard for us," Bernadeau said of the late-season success with the running game. "It's one of those deals where we know what we're capable of doing and we want to do better. We have the highest expectations of ourselves. It's a mix of us getting it done up front and holding those expectations high."

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
We should at least bring in competition/depth at OG. Leary/Bernadeau are nothing like sure bets.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
Jerry- "Oline is a strength"

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
I'd like another depth/competition RT too, but I don't think we'll move on from Parnell and Weems.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Our OL actually might be a strength.
We are still in bad need of depth. Hell, our DL could have been a strength this year has everyone stayed healthy.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
Our OL actually might be a strength.
won't matter, all this time we've been waiting to run block effectively. Smitty swore up and down for years, we were only refusing to run because the line sucked. Now we know even when the line is blocking well, our idiot coach will want to "stay aggressive" by giving the other team interceptions and 3 and outs while stopping the clock when we have a lead.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
won't matter, all this time we've been waiting to run block effectively. Smitty swore up and down for years, we were only refusing to run because the line sucked. Now we know even when the line is blocking well, our idiot coach will want to "stay aggressive" by giving the other team interceptions and 3 and outs while stopping the clock when we have a lead.
Definitely a big disappointment that we didn't run more given the tangible improvement on the OL. Might be something that we see moving forward, but yeah, it's always gonna be too pass happy.

Regardless of the whole Garrett debate, I wouldn't be done with the OL under any circumstances. I wouldn't think twice about taking an OT in the first or OG in the second.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I wouldn't think twice about taking an OT in the first or OG in the second.
Of course not. Free could drop right back off at any moment. Leary is a bum knee away from his career being over with (Was already dealing with swelling this year). Bernie looked like a legit RG but just like Free his play could drop right back off.

I will say this though. I think having Frederick at center made a massive difference to this O-line. Just having someone making the right calls and not being knocked backwards on every play can help bring the entire unit together and I think it showed this year. This is a unit that has the potential to be a strength like this past year or fall off the face of the earth again if a few things go wrong.

UncleMilti

This seemed like a good idea at the time.
Staff member
CONTINUITY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
The key is adding at least one good, young linemen every year. Doesn't have to be a 1st round pick, either, just a good player like Kyle Kosier back in the mid 2000's or even Ronald Leary (though hopefully someone who's less of an injury risk).

The team is dangerously thin on the interior, and Bernadeau and Leary need competition to push them and also give them a break.

Top Bottom