Hill: Why not Johnny Manziel to the Cowboys?

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Romo seems to be the one exception to this general truth.
Some don't feel Wilson had anything to do with that. I pointed out that Romo.had done well on Wilson's watch but the response was Romo was already a poised QB.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
the one thing a good QB coach should be able to do is get a limited QB to commit fewer dumb turnovers.
I know Romo isn't a limited QB but I will say this. He has done a good job of getting Romo to limit his turnovers.

hstour

Brand New Member
Leaf was only 25 years old. He was very salvagable. And let's not forget QC. Wilson has had his chance with solid 3 draft picks and none panned out.
Leaf was a head case who couldn't make reads to save his life. I think it was his HS coach that first mentioned something to Polian and the Colts scouts/coaches about his inability to read progressions. Polian (and Bethard who ended up drafting Leaf at SD) were doing interviews in Jan this year when the story from Leigh Stienberg's book came out about Leaf having tricked the Colts. Both Indy and SD wanted Peyton because of the concerns with Leaf's smarts.

By the time he was in Dallas, there was nothing to salvage. To say Leaf was a "solid" draft pick is fantasy. Here is what Bethard said about him when he first got into Chargers camp.

Beathard says he realized at Leaf’s first practice that he had made a huge mistake by drafting Leaf with the second overall pick.

“He was in terrible shape — he couldn’t even complete the jog around the field at the start of practice,” Beathard said. “It was a disaster from the start and I’m responsible for it.

p1_

DCC 4Life
Some don't feel Wilson had anything to do with that. I pointed out that Romo.had done well on Wilson's watch but the response was Romo was already a poised QB.
That's debatable. The poise, that is.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
Leaf was a head case who couldn't make reads to save his life. I think it was his HS coach that first mentioned something to Polian and the Colts scouts/coaches about his inability to read progressions. Polian (and Bethard who ended up drafting Leaf at SD) were doing interviews in Jan this year when the story from Leigh Stienberg's book came out about Leaf having tricked the Colts. Both Indy and SD wanted Peyton because of the concerns with Leaf's smarts.

By the time he was in Dallas, there was nothing to salvage. To say Leaf was a "solid" draft pick is fantasy. Here is what Bethard said about him when he first got into Chargers camp.
He also was nursing what turned out to be a career ending wrist injury by the time he got to Dallas and ended up retiring because of it.

UncleMilti

This seemed like a good idea at the time.
Staff member

Good stuff.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
In his first stint with the team, he had QC, Ryan Leaf, and Anthony Wright. Then coming back he had McGee from the start.

He developed none of them.
:lol

Yeah. There's a fair list of QBs to judge a coach by.

UncleMilti

This seemed like a good idea at the time.
Staff member

Yeah. There's a fair list of QBs to judge a coach by.
You aren't saying you think Wilson is a good QB coach...are you?

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
You aren't saying you think Wilson is a good QB coach...are you?

I've never used the word good and Wade Wilson in the same sentence before this. But to try judge him off of just those names is just like I said. Not very fair.

I was laughing more at the names on the list. Not really at what Deuce had said about them.

Carl

RIP Brother
We are not taking Manziel at 16. He is the opposite of what our HC wants and needs.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
We are not taking Manziel at 16. He is the opposite of what our HC wants and needs.

What Garrett wants and needs.

All that matters is what Jerry wants and needs and I could see that being Manziel. He would put butts in the seats and the Cowboys in the spotlight. In all honesty I would love it as long as we don't have to trade up. Romo has been nice but I have seen enough of him to know he isn't the QB we need. I saw lots of parts of Romo's game that I didn't like last year. I think the hits are adding up with him and he isn't going to get this team over the hump no matter what we put around him on offense. He looked scared last year and held the ball way to long while our O-line was playing very good. I'm ready for a new QB and the opportunity to quickly fix our cap.

Carl

RIP Brother

All that matters is what Jerry wants and needs and I could see that being Manziel. He would put butts in the seats and the Cowboys in the spotlight. In all honesty I would love it as long as we don't have to trade up. Romo has been nice but I have seen enough of him to know he isn't the QB we need. I saw lots of parts of Romo's game that I didn't like last year. I think the hits are adding up with him and he isn't going to get this team over the hump no matter what we put around him on offense. He looked scared last year and held the ball way to long while our O-line was playing very good. I'm ready for a new QB and the opportunity to quickly fix our cap.
There are already butts in the seats. No? And the Cowboys are not in the spotlight. Only 5 PT games this year.

You might be ready, good for you. Now fasten your seat belt and get ready for an OL/ Dl in round one and Bucannon in round two. Now simmer down. Bucannon is a three year captain, need I say more; or what is your prediction.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard

Think of the Jersey sales alone.

p1_

DCC 4Life
If Jones traded up to get Claiborne, I think he surely would do likewise for Manziel. Next year's top 16 pick should seal it nicely.

Top Bottom