Jason Garrett: Morris Claiborne needs to become “stronger”

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Jason Garrett: Morris Claiborne needs to become “stronger”

Posted by Mike Wilkening on March 26, 2014, 12:36 PM EDT

Two years ago, the Cowboys traded their first-round selection (No. 14 overall) and their second-round choice (No. 45) to St. Louis to move up to the No. 6 pick to draft cornerback Morris Claiborne.

In two seasons with the Cowboys, Claiborne has started 22-of-32 games at cornerback, intercepting two passes. He missed six games in 2013, when he dealt with knee, shoulder and hamstring injuries, and he lost his starting job to Orlando Scandrick.

At the NFL meetings on Wednesday, Cowboys coach Jason Garrett told reporters that the club has “a lot of confidence” in Claiborne, but he also noted that the 5-11, 190-pound corner from LSU has to add to strength.

“We got to get Mo healthy,” Garrett said, according to a transcript from the Pro Football Writers of America. “We got to get him stronger. And keep giving him chances to go out there and play cause we feel like he has a bright future.”

Regarding the decision to start Scandrick, Garrett said: “We are going to play the best guy. Last year we felt like Orlando was playing better than Mo for a lot of the year so that is why he was playing.”

The Cowboys paid no small price in the Claiborne deal; second-round picks get four-year contracts at team-friendly compensation. The Cowboys, who do not have the deepest roster, gave up an opportunity to add a second potential contributor at a favorable price to get Claiborne.

In the end, decision to trade up will be always be graded by the production of the player acquired in the deal. And not all move-ups are a bad thing. For instance, the Bears traded up five spots to acquire the No. 45 pick in 2012 from the Rams.

And with the No. 45 pick, the Bears took Alshon Jeffery.

Claiborne is only 24, and he was a very well-regarded prospect. The Cowboys have every reason to be somewhat patient. However, they clearly didn’t pay a big price for him to anticipate him being anything but a clear-cut starter in their secondary.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
They said the same shit last offseason, I'm thinking this guy just doesn't have the desire and perhaps the intelligence to be a truly great player.

Plan9Misfit

Appreciate The Hate
They said the same shit last offseason, I'm thinking this guy just doesn't have the desire and perhaps the intelligence to be a truly great player.
We know he lacks the intelligence. A lack of desire would only complete the FAIL ensemble.

lostxn

DCC 4Life
He's not a bum. He can play. He's just not a Pro Bowler and that's what we paid for. We'll see in time but I suspect he will be an average player and will likely be run out of town due to failure to live up to his draft position. He'll have a decent career somewhere else likely.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
He's not a bum. He can play. He's just not a Pro Bowler and that's what we paid for. We'll see in time but I suspect he will be an average player and will likely be run out of town due to failure to live up to his draft position. He'll have a decent career somewhere else likely.
He's not going to get any better. The only chance for that would be if we had a great pass rush and let him play a lot of press coverage.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Well, he did have personal issues last year and what not. Not sure if he has a bad work ethic. I do think he's dumb though. That 3 or whatever on the Wonderlic is no bueno.

p1_

DCC 4Life
We know he lacks the intelligence. A lack of desire would only complete the FAIL ensemble.
Not to mention, Garrett mentions health and strength. The quadfecta?

p1_

DCC 4Life
Well, he did have personal issues last year and what not. Not sure if he has a bad work ethic. I do think he's dumb though. That 3 or whatever on the Wonderlic is no bueno.
True, but there've been some really good players that couldn't even read.

hstour

Brand New Member
He's not going to get any better. The only chance for that would be if we had a great pass rush and let him play a lot of press coverage.
I don't think the pass rush has to be "great." Being improving to middle of the pack over last year should help Carr, Claiborne, Scandrick as well as the Safeties.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
Mo Claiborne needs to become "better".

He flat out sucks right now.

D

Deuce

I don't think he will get better unless he plays to his strengths, which he won't be doing here.
That's how we can maximize his ability, but he could certainly be better than last season and being healthy will go a long way towards making that happen.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
That's how we can maximize his ability, but he could certainly be better than last season and being healthy will go a long way towards making that happen.
Sure, he can be better than last year, but probably not much more productive than his rookie year unless he suddenly acquires magic Everson Walls level ball skills.

BipolarFuk

Demoted
Who has a chance here when you spend a fortune on a press man CB then draft a press man CB then hire a Cover 2 DC because Larry Lacewell thinks it would be a great idea?

Top Bottom