Archer: Why one-year deal for Spencer makes sense

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Why one-year deal for Spencer makes sense

March, 6, 2014

By Todd Archer | ESPNDallas.com

IRVING, Texas -- With free agency on the horizon, Philadelphia Eagles wide receiver Jeremy Maclinmissed the 2013 season with a torn anterior cruciate ligament, ruining his bid to cash in on a big-time contract in 2014.

Maclin re-signed with the Eagles last week on a one-year deal worth $6 million of which $3.5 million is guaranteed.

"I think I made the best decision for my situation, I really do," Maclin said.

What does Maclin have to do with the Dallas Cowboys? It got me to thinking about Anthony Spencer.

Spencer played 34 snaps in 2013 before undergoing microfracture surgery on his knee. Like Maclin, he was set to be an unrestricted free agent after the Cowboys placed the franchise tag on him in 2012 and ’13, paying him roughly $19 million. The knee injury ruined Spencer’s ability to find a long-term deal.

So would it be in Spencer’s best interest to return to the Cowboys on a one-year deal for a third straight season, albeit at much lower price?

His agent, Jordan Woy, said Spencer should be ready to go in training camp or the preseason games. It would seem to make sense for Spencer to remain with the Cowboys since their athletic training staff knows him best and knows where he is exactly in his rehab. The coaches know him best as well and would know when he would need rest to make it through a season after such a tricky surgery.

Maclin is 26 and returning to form after an ACL tear nowadays is much more commonplace. Spencer turned 30 in January and microfracture surgeries do not guarantee success, although the Cowboys have worked a few players back into the mix from it in the past.

As with everything, it will come down to opportunity and price. Spencer might find it better to go to a 3-4 team to play outside linebacker instead of defensive end in a 4-3 to bet on himself on a one-year deal and the Cowboys might want to get younger.

But a one-year deal would make sense for the Cowboys to have some cushion along the defensive line and make sense for Spencer in hopes to find a better deal in 2015.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
I wouldn't mind giving him a 1 year deal at about 3 million, but the problem is like Booze said....they'd view it more as a problem solved at DE as opposed to an insurance move like it should be.

That's why I'd be more in favor of just letting him walk and looking to address that spot via FA or the draft.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
I wouldn't mind giving him a 1 year deal at about 3 million, but the problem is like Booze said....they'd view it more as a problem solved at DE as opposed to an insurance move like it should be.
When you're drowning, you take what you can get. Selvie, Hayden, and Bass are acceptable backups so we might be be looking at ZERO starting caliber players with Hatcher gone, Ware maybe cut, and Crawford on crutches. Wilber's moved to SAM, where he apparently belongs.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
It's a fine move if we don't ignore upgrading the position afterwards, but Jerry and this organization's complete ignorance isn't a reason to hate the move in a vacuum.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
I'd also love to see a fully healthy Spencer in a 4-3. Probably won't ever get to see that, but he should be healthy enough to be effective in a rotation with Selvie and Crawford.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
It can't possibly make sense to sign a guy with serious injury concerns to a DL with no depth. I'd rather sign a cheap young guy like Corey Wooton or Matt Shaughnessy that is more likely to play 16 games.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
It can't possibly make sense to sign a guy with serious injury concerns to a DL with no depth. I'd rather sign a cheap young guy like Corey Wooton or Matt Shaughnessy that is more likely to play 16 games.
Yep. I wouldn't touch Spencer at all. Full divorce is in order.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yep. I wouldn't touch Spencer at all. Full divorce is in order.
I totally agree. He is a guy you take a one year flier on but you have to be ready to cut him if he isn't fully ready to go at the start of the season. Dallas would never be able to view him that way because he is too established in our locker room to do that. Another team it would be much easier to cut if he isn't good to go.

I'd say the odds that Spencer is a productive end are slim to none this up coming season. I'd put heavy money that Selvie is a much better LE next season. If it were up to me I'd sign a one technique in free agency. Draft a 3 technique and a pass rusher like Dee Ford to play RE. Cut Ware because we need his cap room this year and long term. Use the money you cut on Ware to sign a solid 1 technique in free agency. I'd probably look for a cheap free agent RE to compete/rotate with Ford.

Carp

DCC 4Life
The problem with signing him is that I think they would shy away from the position in the draft because they would want a vet behind him in case he does not hold up.

hstour

Brand New Member
It all depends on how the draft plays out. And, you can probably wait to sign Spencer to see who is available at 16. Teams aren't going to be beating down his door. If Donald is there, I personally would want him. Then bring back Spencer on cheap one year deal. It's just like a contract year for him, so you know the effort is going to be there. He's playing for a final payday. Then because of the depth of this draft, if you can find a RDE in the 2nd, you have the ability to let Ware go if he won't take a reduction. Then all you need is a decent 1-tech either FA or lower round draft pick. Then you are going into the season with pretty decent depth on the DL with your built in rotation/backup guys that proved themselves last year. That doesn't even account for Brent should he be out before camp and Goodell doesn't suspend him for too long. Not that he will be in football shape to start, but he might be a nice piece to add mid year.

You can't lose Spence, Ware and Hatcher and expect to rebuild your line in one year. Keeping Spencer on a 1 year cheap deal gives you the ability to completely rebuild the D-Line over two years.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
It all depends on how the draft plays out. And, you can probably wait to sign Spencer to see who is available at 16. Teams aren't going to be beating down his door. If Donald is there, I personally would want him. Then bring back Spencer on cheap one year deal. It's just like a contract year for him, so you know the effort is going to be there. He's playing for a final payday. Then because of the depth of this draft, if you can find a RDE in the 2nd, you have the ability to let Ware go if he won't take a reduction. Then all you need is a decent 1-tech either FA or lower round draft pick. Then you are going into the season with pretty decent depth on the DL with your built in rotation/backup guys that proved themselves last year. That doesn't even account for Brent should he be out before camp and Goodell doesn't suspend him for too long. Not that he will be in football shape to start, but he might be a nice piece to add mid year.

You can't lose Spence, Ware and Hatcher and expect to rebuild your line in one year. Keeping Spencer on a 1 year cheap deal gives you the ability to completely rebuild the D-Line over two years.
Agreed 100%.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are

Ware will be here because I think he will take a reduced salary. I think Hatcher will be here also. Spencer is bad news based on his recent history.

Top Bottom