Time for Tony Romo's successor? The top 5 quarterbacks in next year's draft

dallen

Senior Tech
There are only 4 acceptable scenarios in my mind in the first round, assuming we are picking in the top 5:

-Draft Goff
-Draft Bosa
-Draft Lynch
-Trade down for a bounty that includes a 2017 1st rounder

Anything other than that means that we either drafted a RT, non-pass rushing LB or a DB, in which case fuck Jerry, Jason, Stephen, McClay and whoever the hell else was involved in that decision.
Don't forget RB!

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
-Trade down for a bounty that includes a 2017 1st rounder

That's a great idea if they can find a buyer. I wouldn't be hell bent on it, but I'd have no problem trading down to the teens if they get a 1st next year plus maybe a 2nd this year.

bbgun

please don't "dur" me
meh. I'd rather draft a dominating DT or DE (assuming Hardy leaves) than reach for any of those guys.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
meh. I'd rather draft a dominating DT or DE (assuming Hardy leaves) than reach for any of those guys.
Why don't you enlighten us as to where the dominating DT's and DE's in this draft are.

And I really don't want to hear about Nkemdiche and his 5 sacks over 3 years.

Carp

DCC 4Life
Feh. Drafting Goff or Lynch is not a reach...and it is not like QB is the most important position on the field or anything.

bbgun

please don't "dur" me
Why don't you enlighten us as to where the dominating DT's and DE's in this draft are.

My last name isn't Kiper, so I'll leave the scouting to others. But it goes without saying that QBs are notoriously overdrafted and DTs/DEs are more plentiful than franchise quarterbacks.

Carp

DCC 4Life
One other thing...I am not convinced that his collarbone will ever be right again. I mean the hit from Davis that broke it for the 2nd time this year was fairly routine...and the damn thing broke again. We cannot afford to put all our eggs in the Romo basket again next year, so drafting a QB in this draft should be the top priority.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
My last name isn't Kiper, so I'll leave the scouting to others. But it goes without saying that QBs are notoriously overdrafted and DTs/DEs are more plentiful than franchise quarterbacks.
Gotcha, if Marcell Dareus or Gerald McCoy were sitting there you would have a point, but Bosa is probably the only DL who goes in the top 5, maybe even the top 10. Nkemdiche has alot of good traits but no real production, he'd be underwhelming in the top 5, I like DeForest Buckner alot too and I wouldn't be surprised if he rose into the top 10, but again, doesn't really have the look of a top 5 pick to me.

You might as well just say you'd prefer us to draft a Luck-caliber prospect but saying it doesn't make it so, and if there aren't any dominant DE's or DT's what are you supposed to do?

My point is that most of the top prospects are either underwhelming (Nkemdiche, Ramsey) or play positions that aren't impact positions for us (RT, non-pass rushing LB, CB), so we might as well take a shot on a QB.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member

I like Billings.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
I like Billings.
Havent heard anything about him leaving early, yet. Big fan of his myself but dont think he would make it to the 2nd round.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
There's a reason for that.

Jiggyfly

Banned
Feh. Drafting Goff or Lynch is not a reach...and it is not like QB is the most important position on the field or anything.
That is very debatable at this point, nobody is enamored with either of those guys as you seem to be.

Jiggyfly

Banned
Gotcha, if Marcell Dareus or Gerald McCoy were sitting there you would have a point, but Bosa is probably the only DL who goes in the top 5, maybe even the top 10. Nkemdiche has alot of good traits but no real production, he'd be underwhelming in the top 5, I like DeForest Buckner alot too and I wouldn't be surprised if he rose into the top 10, but again, doesn't really have the look of a top 5 pick to me.

You might as well just say you'd prefer us to draft a Luck-caliber prospect but saying it doesn't make it so, and if there aren't any dominant DE's or DT's what are you supposed to do?

My point is that most of the top prospects are either underwhelming (Nkemdiche, Ramsey) or play positions that aren't impact positions for us (RT, non-pass rushing LB, CB), so we might as well take a shot on a QB.
I agree with your overall premise but what if Tunsil turns out to be a much higher rated prospect than any of the QB's, do you gamble just because?

RT is a position of need and it solidifies your o-line for the next 3 years before you have to pay big money.

As for Ramsey could he be a great safety because the more I read most think that is his best position.

Even you are saying take a shot at these QB's which makes me think you don't think either is sure bet, I am just leery of gambling on a QB when you have a chance to significantly upgrade a position of need.

I am not advocating taking a Tunsil or Ramsey but I think it's logical to take a hard look at both if Ramsey can play safety at a high level.

Carp

DCC 4Life
That is very debatable at this point, nobody is enamored with either of those guys as you seem to be.
Considering quite a few mocks have them going early...that is a pretty good indicator they are on the radar. NFL Draftscout has them at 4 and 7...so I am not the only one that sees their value.

Carp

DCC 4Life
Hmmm...the QBs go 3 and 5 in this mock...interesting.

Jiggyfly

Banned
Considering quite a few mocks have them going early...that is a pretty good indicator they are on the radar. NFL Draftscout has them at 4 and 7...so I am not the only one that sees their value.
This time of year QB's are always mocked to go to the bad teams without QB's.

Read the actual scouting reports on them and nobody is saying they are sure things.

Everybody is saying Lynch is more of a projection than proven prospect.

This from Draft Scout.

WEAKNESSES: Not yet a polished passer. Thrives in Memphis' offense, which includes a lot of wide receiver screens and in-breaking routes, largely against inferior competition. Needs to work on his footwork, touch and continue to add weight to his build.

IN OUR VIEW: With continued development, Lynch could be this year's version of Blake Bortles if he declares for the draft - a prospect from the non-Power 5 conferences who checks a lot of boxes for NFL evaluators in an average quarterback class.

--Dane Brugler/Rob Rang (10/29/15)
That usually would be a fringe 1st round QB.

Top Bottom