Week 4 Gameday Chatter Thread | Cowboys at Saints |10/04/2015

marsbennett

Brand New Member
usa today stated it and al michaels/Chris collinsworth said it on TV. I'm guessing that kickoff returns were from the end zone so add time to run 20+ more yards.

13 seconds. A regular season record.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
The defense was underwhelming yesterday but I can't let Weeden off the hook for that shitty performance. He still gets a huge chunk of the blame, IMO. I'd argue the lion's share.

Aside from that 2 minute TD drive to tie the game, he was largely ineffective.

His pocket awareness is severely lacking. Most of the sacks that he took were his own fault.

A lot of time it looks as if things are moving too fast for him , like he's a rookie QB struggling to process the information. A 4th year QB should not be struggling with the speed of the game.

dallen

Senior Tech
:lol

this breaks the NFL record for quickest overtime in a regular season game.
I feel like we were probably already on the bad side of that record

dallen

Senior Tech
The defense was underwhelming yesterday but I can't let Weeden off the hook for that shitty performance. He still gets a huge chunk of the blame, IMO. I'd argue the lion's share.

His pocket awareness is severely lacking. Most of the sacks that he took were his own fault.

A lot of time it looks as if things are moving too fast for him , like he's a rookie QB struggling to process the information. A 4th year QB should not be struggling with the speed of the game.
He seemed to work better in the hurry up though. If we stick with him we might need to start using that more in the gameplan and not just in the 2 minute drill.

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member
Lost when the Saints tried repeatedly to gift us the win. We will be lucky to be 3-6 when Romo comes back.

1bigfan13

Staff member
He seemed to work better in the hurry up though. If we stick with him we might need to start using that more in the gameplan and not just in the 2 minute drill.
More pass attempts in the 10 - 20 yard range would be a good start. He was better last night than the Atlanta game, I'll give him that.

I have no way of confirming this but it seems as if Weeden's first and second reads are normally the underneath routes. It felt like he took a couple of sacks because the underneath routes were covered up and he wanted no part of having to throw the ball downfield. Just a general observation from my perspective.

GShock

DCC 4Life
It seemed pretty clear he was more comfortable working in a spread, 2-minute drill. No reason that should not be the offensive set next week. Pretending he should be something in his 4th year that he clearly is not is not working.

Speaking of not working, here's the 2nd half/OT drive chart for NO:

Yards/Result
5 FG
69 FG
67 TD
33 Punt
68 Missed FG
80 TD

This against a QB who could not throw more than 10 yards in the air.

This is the defense I was expecting last year.

Dumpster fire.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
Did Jerry really say that? Wow. Cassel is going to have to start now whether he is ready or not.

D

Deuce

I hope that quote is true.

1bigfan13

Staff member
Did Jerry really say that? Wow. Cassel is going to have to start now whether he is ready or not.
Yep. I read that quote earlier this morning.

Just 10 short days ago Weeden had one of the most talented, liveliest arms in the business.

Now even Uncle Jerry can no longer play the "we'll be fine with Weeden" spin game.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP

I hope that quote is true.
It is, here's the full quote Jerry

“I thought he did real good,” owner Jerry Jones said. “He did good all night long. He took his initial look and threw it. He does some real good things, though it’s not quite apples and oranges when the guy on the other side of the deal is Brees and you’re dealing with a guy who is as limited as Weeden. We got in it even running out of time, or short-handed, in 2-minute or what have you, then these quarterbacks like Brees make a difference.”

dallen

Senior Tech
Brandon Weeden, once a “thing of beauty,” now “limited”

Posted by Darin Gantt on October 5, 2015, 6:26 AM EDT
Brandon Weeden
AP
Apparently, the list of passers more gifted than Brandon Weeden includes Drew Brees.

After last night’s overtime loss to the Saints, Cowboys owner Jerry Jones said he was generally OK with the performance of backup quarterback, though he admitted his Saints counterpart was in a different category.

“I thought he did real good,” Jones said, via Clarence Hill of the Fort Worth Star-Telegram. “He did good all night long. He took his initial look and threw it. He does some real good things, though it’s not quite apples and oranges when the guy on the other side of the deal is Brees and you’re dealing with a guy who is as limited as Weeden. We got in it even running out of time, or short-handed, in 2-minute or what have you, then these quarterbacks like Brees make a difference.”

Weeden had performed his own late-game magic, driving the Cowboys to a game-tying touchdown, with a 91-yard drive in the fourth quarter which ended with a diving touchdown grab by Terrance Williams with under two minutes left. He was 16-of-26 for 246 yards, but hasn’t won any of his starts in relief of Romo.

So while his ball might be a “thing of beauty,” Brees was a little more beautiful last night after throwing an 80-yard game-winner in overtime.

Losing to the Saints is a bad one for the Cowboys, who need a few wins in Romo’s absence to stay competitive, even in the NFC East.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/10/05/brandon-weeden-once-a-thing-of-beauty-now-limited/

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I can't get too mad with a team that is missing 20-25% of the 45 gameday roster at any given time, with some of those guys being among the best at their position league-wide. Disappointed for sure because we could wrap this division up by the middle of December with a healthy team, and be in very good shape for a bye, but what can you say?

We aren't getting a top 3-5 pick though unless Romo gets hurt in his first or second game back and is out for the rest of the year. Barring another Romo injury, and perhaps even if he were to get injured again, I'd say the worst case scenario is 5-11, which would have us around 6-10 and probably taking a defensive player.

I will say this though, if we do somehow get a top 3-5 pick and Goff is sitting there, I'd take him. It'd take balls for sure because it'd basically be the end of the Romo era, but unless there is a Mario Williams type defensive prospect available I'm going QB there. The opportunity to have a pick that high with a roster that hasn't bottomed out is extremely rare, it'd really suck to move on from Romo but I think the opportunity to solidify the QB spot for 10+ years with a roster that is still very much in tact is too much.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP

dallen

Senior Tech
I can't get too mad with a team that is missing 20-25% of the 45 gameday roster at any given time, with some of those guys being among the best at their position league-wide. Disappointed for sure because we could wrap this division up by the middle of December with a healthy team, and be in very good shape for a bye, but what can you say?

We aren't getting a top 3-5 pick though unless Romo gets hurt in his first or second game back and is out for the rest of the year. Barring another Romo injury, and perhaps even if he were to get injured again, I'd say the worst case scenario is 5-11, which would have us around 6-10 and probably taking a defensive player.

I will say this though, if we do somehow get a top 3-5 pick and Goff is sitting there, I'd take him. It'd take balls for sure because it'd basically be the end of the Romo era, but unless there is a Mario Williams type defensive prospect available I'm going QB there. The opportunity to have a pick that high with a roster that hasn't bottomed out is extremely rare, it'd really suck to move on from Romo but I think the opportunity to solidify the QB spot for 10+ years with a roster that is still very much in tact is too much.
You can always let him sit for a year like Rodgers. I'd rather have Romo as the QB coach than Wilson anyway

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
He's just a bonehead.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself

The running game is a big problem as well. It would help a bad QB so much if defenses worried at all about the running game.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
A guy who stole about $50 worth of merchandise despite making hundreds of thousands of dollars is a flakey idiot?

I'm shocked.

If we were healthy I think we could get by with average to slightly above average production from the RB's, and probably win the division at around 10-6, but the arrogance that the front office showed by doing literally nothing to address the position is mind-boggling. If they are serious about winning a title next year they must add real talent at RB. Romo isn't Brady and Garrett certainly isn't Belichick, the coaching staff is not smart enough to scheme around not having a RB like the Patriots are.

Top Bottom