Training Camp Thread...

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Camp Sights: Hot Takes Include D-Line Drills, Bease-Mode, OT Struggles, More

Wednesday, August 17, 2016 3:25 PM CDT

By DallasCowboys.com Report

(Editor’s Note: At the end of each day here at training camp in Oxnard, the staff writers will each provide their own personal observation, ranging anywhere from a particular player who is standing out, a position that needs an upgrade, or even their own personal experiences regarding the daily rigors of camp.)

Rob Phillips: Since being activated from the Inactive/PUP list on Monday, Benson Mayowa seems to be increasing his workload. He got some reps at right defensive end on Wednesday, and with DeMarcus Lawrence and Randy Gregory facing suspensions to start the season, the Cowboys need someone to step into that role. It could be Mayowa if he can continue to progress coming off his June knee scope. The Cowboys think he has the rush skills to potentially play that right side, and you can see in practice he’s an athletic player on the edge. David Irving, who’s currently dealing with a groin injury, could be a candidate on the left side.

David Helman: For the final practice in California, Tyron Smith and Doug Free got a veteran’s day off. Good for them -- the veterans deserve some rest, given that they’re one of the top tackle duos in the NFL. The problem is that with those two sitting out, the Cowboys were faced with the reality of the tackle situation behind them. Chaz Green started at left tackle all day on Wednesday, while Ryan Mack and Bryan Witzmann split reps on the right side. The Cowboys obviously made it through practice, but it definitely wasn’t as pretty as what we’ve gotten accustomed to. Green continues to struggle with rushers, while the two working at right tackle were troubled by rushers and flags. They still have three weeks to work on improvement, but the tackle spot behind Smith and Free looks awfully troublesome.

Nick Eatman: Every time I watch practice, I never seen anyone really stopping Cole Beasley. He’s a tough matchup, of course, but you would think that the likes of Orlando Scandrick, and even the veteran Josh Thomas, could handle him a little better. But Beasley has really come into his own and I think the return of Tony Romo has helped with that. If you look at players like him, Wes Welker, Danny Amendola and now Julian Edelman in New England, they don’t just burst onto the scene and shine. It takes them a while to get into form and Beasley, now in his fifth year, looks ready for a breakout season. In Wednesday’s practice, he was shaking defenders in the team period to the point where it didn’t seem like he was even being guarded. Give him credit for his route-running, but he seems quicker and faster and like always, catches everything his way. Our staff voted him as the 2015 Camp MVP and he might very well get that honor again this year.

Bryan Broaddus: I was hanging around the defensive line during practice observing Rod Marinelli and Leon Lett putting their guys through the drills. The line was working on coming off the ball and quickly getting up the field, which is a staple of Marinelli's scheme. As the group was rolling through, Jason Garrett joined the drill and begin to encourage the players to stay lower. Garrett even stopped the drill and asked Marinelli if you can see the numbers -- is that a bad thing? Marinelli replied it was. Garrett didn't stop there. He then got on rookie Rodney Coe by telling him that he was tired of seeing his numbers and to work harder to keep them down. Garrett is completely right about Coe. His biggest issue is that he plays too high and that hurts his ability to rush the passer and defend the run.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
I don't think anyone questioned his skill, my issue with him is that he'd act like a complete jackass.
Didn't know you had an issue with him. And yes a lot of folks questioned his skills.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
I like that he's got a little pressure, but hopefully he continues to be a guiding force in Dak's development.
Yep, and then replaces Wilson when he retires.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
I don't think anyone questioned his skill, my issue with him is that he'd act like a complete jackass.

I have always questioned his skill.

I can't think of any reason you'd think he acts like a complete jackass though.

All I know is we heard this nonsense about him being unrecoverable in last year's camp too. How'd that work out?

Cotton

Staff member

All I know is we heard this nonsense about him being unrecoverable in last year's camp too. How'd that work out?
I think he is referring to him leaving camp the year we got him without word of whether he was coming back or not.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
I think he is referring to him leaving camp the year we got him without word of whether he was coming back or not.
That was family stuff and shouldn't qualify for "jackass" stuff. :unsure

dallen

Senior Tech
I agree. But that's all I could think of.
He can be outspoken on Twitter. Mostly I find it pretty funny, but I guess some people might call it being a "jackass". That rant his wife went on crossed the line though

Cotton

Staff member
He can be outspoken on Twitter. Mostly I find it pretty funny, but I guess some people might call it being a "jackass". That rant his wife went on crossed the line though
He did call someone a dickhole on Twitter one day. That was pretty funny.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member

A lot of things want wrong last season and a lot of them had poor years. Wouldn't necessarily hold that against him. Now this year? No excuses. As long as you keep him in his niche I like the matchup there.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
A lot of things want wrong last season and a lot of them had poor years. Wouldn't necessarily hold that against him. Now this year? No excuses. As long as you keep him in his niche I like the matchup there.
He had a career year last year.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
I wouldn't hold that against him, either. :tippytoe

Honestly I didn't look at the numbers and was just going off what I interpreted what Ghenghis was saying. Could have just misread it I guess.

Genghis Khan

52/536 is a career year?

He's a limited, niche player who can work off of other talent that draws attention.

My only real point is all this talk about how he is uncoverable in camp is strangely reminiscent of what was said about him last year when it didn't translate to being "uncoverable" in the regular season.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
52/536 is a career year?

He's a limited, niche player who can work off of other talent that draws attention.

My only real point is all this talk about how he is uncoverable in camp is strangely reminiscent of what was said about him last year when it didn't translate to being "uncoverable" in the regular season.
For his career? yes. For a third receiver? yes.

A career year signifies that it was the best year of his career. And last year was Beasley's best of his career. Now I expect him to have an even better year this season because he will have Romo instead of Cassel and Weeden throwing to him but when people say breakout year we have to keep it in perspective. We don't throw the ball as much as the Patriots with Tom Brady. We have two guys who will eat up a ton of throws in Dez and Witten. So by process of elimination Beasley is not going to see that many throws his direction. What I care about is that over 70% of the balls thrown to Beasley last year were completions. Or that he got 5 TDs on only 72 passes thrown his direction.

We may see more balls go to Beasley this year but he isn't going to get the Edleman treatment of 151 balls thrown his direction from the slot. We are too good on the outside and at rushing the ball to do that. But on a per throw basis? He was basically Julian Edelman last year.

Genghis Khan

I'm not saying he isn't useful, but I'm not going to get overly excited over him being "uncoverable" yet again in camp.

500 yards is not a career year unless you have a pretty low bar. And it doesn't jibe with "uncoverable" no matter how you try to twist and turn and contextualize and explain it.

Top Bottom