DMN: The five best Dallas Cowboys QBs of all time, ranked: Where do Staubach, Aikman

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Not by ignoring them until called out multiple times.

Oh and also actually saying I was wrong.
I corrected it when I got back to the thread. I don't live on the site. You are still the same troll as always. Correcting things is an admission of error.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I corrected it when I got back to the thread. I don't live on the site. You are still the same troll as always. Correcting things is an admission of error.
Cranky LT.

:towel

DLK150

DCC 4Life
My ranking is
Staubach
Aikman
White
Romo
Meredith
I can live with this list and I agree with Booze. If Romo leads the 'Boys to a title, he leapfrogs White. He can be maddeningly frustrating but when I think of the post-Aikman years...:picard

White and Romo are 3a and 3b as far as I'm concerned. Maybe if Crayton doesn't cut his route short during the playoffs in 2007, that would already be settled.

There are a few plays that stand out in my mind despite having a crappy memory. The Hail Mary to Drew Pearson in...75? Jackie Smith dropping a pass that hit him right in the bread basket in the end zone against The Steelers in Super Bowl XIII, "The Catch" and ensuing fumble by the Cowboys while mounting a comeback drive :budd, "No Danny, no!" in...'83? Then Crayton pulling up on his route when he had a clear route to the end zone. There would be others if I stopped to think about it but off the top of my head those are the ones that always come to mind.

kidd

DCC 4Life
Same for now. Romo gets a SB, he leaps over White.
He squeezes by Aikman as well IMO.

Aikman already had his rings when Jimmy left.

Comparatively, Romo has had far inferior talent and coaching surrounding him since he took over.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
He squeezes by Aikman as well IMO.

Aikman already had his rings when Jimmy left.

Comparatively, Romo has had far inferior talent and coaching surrounding him since he took over.
You and I are in an elite minority. :art

Angrymesscan

DCC 4Life
Comparing Qbs from different eras you can't just go by statistics, the rules have changed too much, but you can compare how their statistics compare to the other qbs from their time and how much better than the avg. They are/were. Having a comp % of 61 when the others are around 52% is way more impressive than 70% when the others avg 68...

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Comparing Qbs from different eras you can't just go by statistics, the rules have changed too much, but you can compare how their statistics compare to the other qbs from their time and how much better than the avg. They are/were. Having a comp % of 61 when the others are around 52% is way more impressive than 70% when the others avg 68...
But you can't compare anything without stats.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
But you can't compare anything without stats.
He just gave you a way to compare them with stats. He just says you cant compare them against each other because of other factors that has been discussed.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
He just gave you a way to compare them with stats. He just says you cant compare them against each other because of other factors that has been discussed.
LT is either just being stubborn, or he truly doesn't understand what he is being told. I have to think it's the former.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
LT is either just being stubborn, or he truly doesn't understand what he is being told. I have to think it's the former.
I'm just not sold on the idea that circumstances over the years are all that important. I've watched football for as long as it has been broadcast on tv and it not drastically changed for QB s and receivers. The rules for possession are the biggest change. Too much is made of how receivers were mugged.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
:picard

So just being stubborn..

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
I'm just not sold on the idea that circumstances over the years are all that important. I've watched football for as long as it has been broadcast on tv and it not drastically changed for QB s and receivers. The rules for possession are the biggest change. Too much is made of how receivers were mugged.
But, that's simply not true, and you're willfully ignoring it as fiction.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself

Yep, I've said this twice already in this thread. Completion %+ is the stat that covers this.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
It's more than just mugging receivers, although that's a bigger deal than you are giving it credit for. But it's also scheme changes and offensive philosophy changes that in today's game emphasize short simple passes with a high chance of completion. That significantly increases the QBs completion percentage.

Nowadays everyone has elements of that. Every single offense. That wasn't true in Aikman's day; it was basically only the Walsh offenses (49ers and Packers).

So you can't make an apples to apples comparison. Instead, you compare the QB to the standard of his era, then compare those comparisons with each other.

THAT'S COMPLETION %+

Top Bottom