Potential rule changes and owner meetings

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
They should move it back to the 25 and make it worth 2 points. That would make the game more interesting.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
They should move it back to the 25 and make it worth 2 points. That would make the game more interesting.
Why would that make it more interesting? It would be a 42 yard kick, still a very high make rate. And making it worth two points would make no difference. Except it would eliminate the 2pt conversion teams use to make up deficits. Unless they were going to make them worth 3. Which would then F with FGs. Are you going to make them worth 4 pts?

Or would you just eliminate the 2 pt conversion all together? In which case, it wouldn't matter if the XP was worth 1 or 2 pts.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
A 42 yarder has a much lower hit rate than a regular PAT.

I was thinking about sixman rules, which I love. All of them wouldnt apply though.

In sixman a PAT is worth 2, going for it it worth 1 and a field goal is worth 4. They do that because making at field goal and PAT is more difficult than in 11 man. You only have 3 blockers up front.

I'm struggling to make sense of it but the PAT is boring. It needs to be more of a wild card type deal instead of automatic IMO.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
We shouldn't be fixing shit that isn't broken.

If it bothers you, don't watch the XP. Go get a beer. Take a piss. Switch to another game for a minute. Shake your junk at your wife. Etc... Lots of possibilities for that 1 minute of time.

The XP might be the closest thing to automatic in football. But it isn't 100%. A block or miss can be catastrophic, and has been part of some memorable games. Don't fix shit that isn't broken.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
I don't like your tone.

Live a little, my friend. Don't just do it missionary style every single time.

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
Screw boff of y'all.

The nfl sucks and needs more excitement.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
We shouldn't be fixing shit that isn't broken.

If it bothers you, don't watch the XP. Go get a beer. Take a piss. Switch to another game for a minute. Shake your junk at your wife. Etc... Lots of possibilities for that 1 minute of time.

The XP might be the closest thing to automatic in football. But it isn't 100%. A block or miss can be catastrophic, and has been part of some memorable games. Don't fix shit that isn't broken.
Agreed.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
I have already made my position known but for the sake of clarIty I would like to add some risk element to the XP. It may not be broken but it can't hurt to make it more interesting.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
I have already made my position known but for the sake of clarIty I would like to add some risk element to the XP. It may not be broken but it can't hurt to make it more interesting.
I like hearing about risk from finance guys from a favorable standpoint.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
I agree with NoDak's take. I understand wanting to make the game safer and better but the XP is way down the list of things that need to be fixed to improve the game.

If the NFL wants to improve the game experience for fans while putting extra money into their own pockets I'd suggest that they focus on increasing security at games and adding stuff like free public wi-fi at stadiums so fans can track their fantasy teams and gamblers can keep up with the bets they've made.

The security part is the real big one. It's getting to the point where most people would rather not go to a game because of all the drunken idiots fighting, throwing beer, dropping f-bombs in front of young kids, etc. No one wants to drop a few hundred bucks for tickets and have to put up with that nonsense. Plus most fans are already in agreement that the NFL product is more enjoyable from the comfort of your own home because you don't have to worry about the drunken idiots, you can follow your fantasy teams, your football bets and so on.

So, IMO, the NFL really needs to concentrate on cleaning up fan behavior at games and improving the fan experience at the game because if they don't I guarantee 10 years from now attendance will be down drastically.

Bottom line: Leave the XP alone and work on improving important stuff like the in stadium experience. If they make it safer and more enjoyable the fans will come which means more $$ in the owners pockets. That's the stuff that matters.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
ESPN - NFL to penalize goalpost dunks; Jimmy Graham tweets "guess I'll have to lead the NFL in penalties"

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
ESPN - Owners voted to increase uprights from 30 feet to 35 feet; tabled proposal on moving back extra points

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
I agree with NoDak's take. I understand wanting to make the game safer and better but the XP is way down the list of things that need to be fixed to improve the game.

If the NFL wants to improve the game experience for fans while putting extra money into their own pockets I'd suggest that they focus on increasing security at games and adding stuff like free public wi-fi at stadiums so fans can track their fantasy teams and gamblers can keep up with the bets they've made.

The security part is the real big one. It's getting to the point where most people would rather not go to a game because of all the drunken idiots fighting, throwing beer, dropping f-bombs in front of young kids, etc. No one wants to drop a few hundred bucks for tickets and have to put up with that nonsense. Plus most fans are already in agreement that the NFL product is more enjoyable from the comfort of your own home because you don't have to worry about the drunken idiots, you can follow your fantasy teams, your football bets and so on.

So, IMO, the NFL really needs to concentrate on cleaning up fan behavior at games and improving the fan experience at the game because if they don't I guarantee 10 years from now attendance will be down drastically.

Bottom line: Leave the XP alone and work on improving important stuff like the in stadium experience. If they make it safer and more enjoyable the fans will come which means more $$ in the owners pockets. That's the stuff that matters.
I didn't know that they have NFL games in Lubbock.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
I didn't know that they have NFL games in Lubbock.
:lol

I don't know what it is about NFL games and football in general, but fans get ultra-competitive, territorial, whatever you want to call it during football games.

I don't have data to support it but I'd guess that outside of international soccer, American football fans get into the most fights with each other, either in the stadium or out in the parking lots.

Top Bottom