Eatman: Despite Losing Ware and Hatcher, Jones Certain D-Line Improves

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Despite Losing Ware and Hatcher, Jones Certain D-Line Improves

Posted 15 hours ago

Nick Eatman

DallasCowboys.com Staff Writer

ORLANDO – When Jerry Jones sat down with a group of reporters on Tuesday morning at the NFL owners meetings, his first question asked him to address free agency.

He responded by saying the defensive line will be better than last year.

A few minutes later, when asked about Henry Melton’s addition to the line, Jones eventually reiterated how this year’s line will be an improvement from 2013.

And later, when asked about the team being in a rebuilding mode, Jones heavily denied that and again mentioned having an improved defense, stating once again, “our defensive line is definitely improved from what we had last year.”

Despite the loss of the club’s all-time sack leader in DeMarcus Ware, along with Pro Bowler Jason Hatcher, who had the most sacks by a Cowboys’ defensive tackle in 31 years, the team not only will replace them, but be better.

Jones is making himself rather clear in that regard.

“I think we’ve addressed some long-term cap management that we needed to address,” Jones said. “And I don’t think we’ve precluded ourselves from not having a better defensive line than we had last year or a better defense. I think we have assured ourselves that we will have a better defense and a better defensive line than we had last year.”

Ranking-wise, it couldn’t get any worse. The Cowboys not only were dead last in the NFL in yards allowed (415.3) per game, but it was the worst in franchise history, by far.

Jones said the additions of Melton, Jeremy Mincey and Terrell McClain will help offset the losses of Ware and Hatcher, who have since signed with the Broncos and Redskins, respectively. But Jones seems most excited about getting Tyrone Crawford back from a torn Achilles injury he suffered on the first day of training camp last July. The Cowboys should also get some depth with Ben Bass returning, not to mention Nick Hayden and George Selvie, who is the team’s leading sack returner with seven, a career-high.

More than anything, Jones is hopeful that getting younger means getting healthier as well.

“It’s unacceptable to get in the situation we got in last year, a combination of injuries and the practice of having to evaluate players throughout the year continually,” said Jones. “We can remedy that. That, plus more familiarity with our defensive players that we have on our roster now, we’ll most assuredly be much better defensively than we were last year.”

The end result sounds good, but just how does Jones think this overnight change will occur? From the sounds of things, he’s hoping for a simple case of “less is more.”

“We’d like for our top players to get 30-35 snaps in the defensive line,” Jones said. “We’d like to have the depth to come in. We played a lot of guys last year at 40-50 plays that should’ve played 15 or 20.”

The Cowboys were forced to play with 17 different defensive linemen at some point in the season, and that excludes Crawford, Bass and Jay Ratliff, who all never took a snap in 2013.

Despite the Cowboys’ defensive woes, it likely would’ve been worse without defensive line coach Rod Marinelli, who will continue to work with the linemen as well as assume defensive coordinator duties. Marinelli was the defensive coordinator in Chicago, where he helped Melton to his best two seasons as a pro in 2001-12.

Selvie, Hayden and even Hatcher all enjoyed career seasons under Marinelli last year, along with several of the fill-in linemen who were signed off the street. So when Lovie Smith called to get Marinelli out of his contract and become the Buccaneers’ defensive coordinator, it’s easy to see why Jones declined.

“I wouldn’t want to dismiss the contribution he made last year,” Jones said of Marinelli as the defensive line coach. “But it’s neat and important, and was important in my thinking, that you had Rod Marinelli available on our staff. He’s not only very accomplished as a coordinator, but he’s certainly recognized by players as well as his peers as being one of the top interior line coaches there are.”

So good that he has Jones utterly convinced his group up front will be much improved this year – despite losing 17 years of experience, a combined eight Pro Bowls and 50 percent of last year’s team sack total.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
If we devote legit resources in the draft to the line it could definitely be improved over last year considering Ware was a non-factor.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
If we devote legit resources in the draft to the line it could definitely be improved over last year considering Ware was a non-factor.
Yes, but that takes focus and a lot of discipline. We are not the only team looking to rebuild a DL and add pass rushers.

Carp

DCC 4Life
I like that he mentioned how there were players that played more than they should last year. Usually he tries to blow smoke.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I like that he mentioned how there were players that played more than they should last year. Usually he tries to blow smoke.
That just is a way of saying, they are desperate for drafting DL and running a rotation.

I just want them to make sure they don't draft crap there just because. Let the draft develop and take what is best for the football team. We cannot be desperate. If we are, we will end up with a modern day Ebenezer Ekuban as our first round choice.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
That's not what he said though. And he's wrong that the DL "is" improved.

You are right in saying it "could" be "if" we hit the draft right.

That's a dangerous situation though.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
And how many times has that worked out for us?

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
We cannot be desperate. If we are, we will end up with a modern day Ebenezer Ekuban as our first round choice.
Funny you should mention his name. He did play some TE in some goal line packages...

BOOM!

There's your utility player we will be searching for in this draft.

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
Jones spouts so much positive bullshit leading up to a season that apparently everyone forgets about it the next year.

I guess last year was last year, but it's such a ridiculous cycle.

data

Forbes #1
Don't forget one year Jones said something to the extent that Romo makes the defense better. Waiting for that one to be pulled out of the arsenal.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
That just is a way of saying, they are desperate for drafting DL and running a rotation.

I just want them to make sure they don't draft crap there just because. Let the draft develop and take what is best for the football team. We cannot be desperate. If we are, we will end up with a modern day Ebenezer Ekuban as our first round choice.
Ealy isn't that.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
Don't forget one year Jones said something to the extent that Romo makes the defense better. Waiting for that one to be pulled out of the arsenal.
You mean to to tell me passing 50 times a game doesn't help your defense??

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
That comment brought back memories of, IIRC, the 2000 draft. The one where we drafted a bunch of scrub CBs because we needed DB help.

Classic Jerry ran draft. Lots of reaches and bad planning.

Bob Roberts

Professor StinkFinger
That comment brought back memories of, IIRC, the 2000 draft. The one where we drafted a bunch of scrub CBs because we needed DB help.

Classic Jerry ran draft. Lots of reaches and bad planning.
I remember the 'Kareem Larrimore looks pretty good in preseason' article from Spags.

Top Bottom