2016 POTUS Election Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
And still none of that is legitimate thinking because the majority of Democrats are voting for her and that number is rising.
So you have a choice between a shit sandwhich or just shit. Sure you'll probably eat the shit sandwhich because afterall it's better then plain shit but that doesn't mean you want the shit sandwhich.

townsend

Banned
So you have a choice between a shit sandwhich or just shit. Sure you'll probably eat the shit sandwhich because afterall it's better then plain shit but that doesn't mean you want the shit sandwhich.
What you're talking about is nearly every candidate that's ever been put up for president. Remember how for the past 20 years the Republicans have been putting up middling, non-conservative candidates that were 'unpopular' but the second they were granted the nomination everybody got behind them? Even though a guy like Mitt lost he still made a closeish race of it. Because before this historic, and believe me historians will talk about this year as being formative to the political landscape of the 21st century, meltdown conservatives closed ranks and supported their guys well, and that helped overcome losing every minority demographic.

The GOP is ruined, the Democrats are still functioning. Point blank, Democrats will fall in line. As republicans used to do, back when they won elections. So now democrats have the structure and the minority support. Republicans don't even have a candidate. Is Hillary as strong a candidate as Obama, clearly not, but the party chose her decisively without nearly as much egg on their face. She was like a team that holds a 7 point lead until the 4th quarter, before they put it out of reach. She was never out of control, she just had to prevent the come back. Now she's going to roar into the general like the 85 Bears.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
The GOP is ruined, the Democrats are still functioning. Point blank, Democrats will fall in line. As republicans used to do, back when they won elections.
I'm willing to bet that most Republicans will fall in line the second Trump is the nomination. One thing we should all realize about the Republican party at this point is that most of their "threats" are empty. Meaning they threaten shutdown and disaster options but when push comes to shove, they all end up falling in line anyway.

I can already see Trump trying to get Bernie to run as an Independent. Do you think there is any real chance of that? It would be a disaster for Democrats.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
I'm willing to bet that most Republicans will fall in line the second Trump is the nomination. One thing we should all realize about the Republican party at this point is that most of their "threats" are empty. Meaning they threaten shutdown and disaster options but when push comes to shove, they all end up falling in line anyway.

I can already see Trump trying to get Bernie to run as an Independent. Do you think there is any real chance of that? It would be a disaster for Democrats.
I for one would not fall in line. If trump is the guy, I'm out.

townsend

Banned

I would doubt Bernie would run, for that very reason. I think he'll be bartering for concessions to his platform, It's a win win, since Hillary and the party need to continue courting the millenials disenfranchised by her primary victory. It'd be better than the lose, lose that handing the election to Trump would be.

As far as Republicans falling into line. I'm not sure it'll work that way with Trump. All the people that have had conservatives fall behind them were establishment types. For a guy like Trump, who I think would be despised among moderates, getting the "silent majority" as Nixon coined it, to fall in behind him would be one hell of an undertaking.

For God's sake, the previous republican nominee went out of his way specifically to tear down Trump. That speaks volume of the party's structure.

2233boys

Not So New Member
For once take a sensible approach to a statement. The issue I raised was about campaign funds and who supplied them. One poster stated he didn't fund his campaign and I asked him for proof. You supplied a statement saying he lies as proof. My good sir this isn't a statement of proof this is a personal sentiment of your feelings. I have already said I am not interested in a Trump debate. Stick with the issue of your proof about the campaign funds please because I am not interested in a debate about him.
No I stated he took donations, you said he didn't. That his campaign was self funded, it is not.

https://www.opensecrets.org/pres16/contrib.php?&id=N00023864

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
For God's sake, the previous republican nominee went out of his way specifically to tear down Trump. That speaks volume of the party's structure.
I bet you all of that stops the second Trump is the nomination. Just saying. Which is why I think Trump's numbers will get a boost the second that happens. Trump is a savy guy. He will probably use tools to try and get elected that we have never seen used before.

2233boys

Not So New Member
And none of that answers the question of why she is still leading the Democratic race in popular votes and regular delegates.

Trump does not have the support nationally of Bush, He had 30% of the Hispanic vote Trump will struggle to get 10%, Bush also had very positive numbers with Women, Trump is upside down by 70%.

Hillary is nobodies idea of a strong candidate but this idea being pushed that a mjority of voters just hate her is false, especially compared to Trump.

How do see the electorate working out for Trump win?

He will not even have the full backing of the Republican party.
It absolutely does unless you are completely blind.

Her and Trump's unfavorable ratings are terrible, they are both bad candidates. One will be able to pull Independents, and the other one is Hillary.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
I think when Trump says he isn't taking donations and won't be beholden to anybody, he's talking about the super PACs and the like. Not Joe Citizen's 100 bucks or whatever.
Correct.

townsend

Banned
I bet you all of that stops the second Trump is the nomination. Just saying. Which is why I think Trump's numbers will get a boost the second that happens. Trump is a savy guy. He will probably use tools to try and get elected that we have never seen used before.
I'm not sure. I think the assumption that the establishment will undermine themselves to put Trump in the Whitehouse is faulty. What could they possibly have to gain from a Trump victory? It would damage their brand, take away their chance for an establishment candidate in 2020. They'd be forced into 4 years of the same in-fighting that's made them seem like dumbasses already.
No, establishment chooses to tank this one. No way you back a loose cannon, when you can beef up your military industrial complex and play the martyr while Hillary's in office. "Clinton Fatigue" won them a republican majority, and the presidency in 2000, I don't even think Republicans are so short-sighted to not see the benefit in a Trump loss.

dallen

Senior Tech
I would doubt Bernie would run, for that very reason. I think he'll be bartering for concessions to his platform, It's a win win, since Hillary and the party need to continue courting the millenials disenfranchised by her primary victory. It'd be better than the lose, lose that handing the election to Trump would be.

As far as Republicans falling into line. I'm not sure it'll work that way with Trump. All the people that have had conservatives fall behind them were establishment types. For a guy like Trump, who I think would be despised among moderates, getting the "silent majority" as Nixon coined it, to fall in behind him would be one hell of an undertaking.

I still think the smartest thing for Hillary to do is name Bernie her VP. I don't know if he'd be willing though

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm not sure. I think the assumption that the establishment will undermine themselves to put Trump in the Whitehouse is faulty. What could they possibly have to gain from a Trump victory? It would damage their brand, take away their chance for an establishment candidate in 2020.
Because no one likes losing. Especially losing their third election in a row. I know you want them to roll over and die but I think you're severely underestimating Trump. It's that type of hubris that has allowed Trump to get this far already.

And you can count me as someone who wants absolutely nothing to do with Hilary or Trump as president. I'm beyond sick of our fraud two party system.

townsend

Banned
I still think the smartest thing for Hillary to do is name Bernie her VP. I don't know if he'd be willing though
I think Hillary should court Liz Warren. She's got all of the liberal credentials, but is still a registered Democrat who never offered an endorsement to either candidate. I think she'd be the perfect person to smooth things over with left.

2233boys

Not So New Member
Show me where this is true. He states he takes no donations so he will not be obligated to anyone. I don't need to debate the other stuff.
Not initially you didn't subsequently you have. Changing the goal posts in the middle of discussion and claiming you were right, isn't how it works.

2233boys

Not So New Member
I think Hillary should court Liz Warren. She's got all of the liberal credentials, but is still a registered Democrat who never offered an endorsement to either candidate. I think she'd be the perfect person to smooth things over with left.
Warren needs to stay in the Senate, doubtful Warren would run with her anyway.

Dems will lose the White House, at least for the next 4 years. Calling it now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom