Panthers yank tag from Josh Norman, who becomes a free agent

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
Maybe they didn't want the distraction of a disgruntled player on the team?
He wouldn't be disgruntled going into a contract year.

Well, disgruntled at the front office but play would still be at a high level.

dallen

Senior Tech
Can someone explain to me why they would cut him instead of letting him negotiate with other teams and getting some kind of compensation? I feel like I am taking crazy pills with no discussing this part of it.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Can someone explain to me why they would cut him instead of letting him negotiate with other teams and getting some kind of compensation? I feel like I am taking crazy pills with no discussing this part of it.
Yeah, it makes zero sense at all.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
Because Jerry doesn't have a f'n clue what he's doi...

Sorry. Habit.

Jiggyfly

Banned
They did not cut him he is a free agent.

dallen

Senior Tech
They did not cut him he is a free agent.
Whatever. They had multiple options available that could have benefited them in some way and instead chose to just cut ties with him. If you are going to let him sign with another team why not at least get something back? There is some other bit of information that hasn't been made public yet

Jiggyfly

Banned
Whatever. They had multiple options available that could have benefited them in some way and instead chose to just cut ties with him. If you are going to let him sign with another team why not at least get something back? There is some other bit of information that hasn't been made public yet
I agree, but if teams knew there were issues they would just wait.

And if he did not sign the tender they could not just trade him anywhere.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
No it's not.
You argue semantics more than anyone on this board. They had the tag signed putting him under contract and rescinded it. Good lord.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm not sure but the Panthers brass was pretty clear that they didn't shut the door on Norman returning. I think the 16 mil price tag long term scared the Panthers and they decided having a guy crying on a franchise tag all year wasn't a good idea.

townsend

Banned
I think this would be a much better panthers cast off than the last one. I'd absolutely sign this guy, that would change the entire complexion of our secondary, and allow us to drop Carr for not that much of an upcharge. Elite corners have been a major part of nearly every super bowl team for the last several years. I think we'd be stupid not to look into it.

P_T

Baddest MoFo Around
I would like him here for the sole reason of seeing if he could get ODB suspended for a few games by pushing his buttons.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Josh Norman franchise tag was lifted. He is a free agent. Wow
He's perfect for the Jaguars.

They get Fowler back, an aggressive coverage stud in Norman, and whomever they draft in the top 35 picks and they might develop a defense overnight.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Visiting Washington tomorrow. Make that today.

Not good. Come on, go the the 49ers or Jags.

Plan9Misfit

Appreciate The Hate
Visiting Washington tomorrow. Make that today.

Not good. Come on, go the the 49ers or Jags.
I'm surprised that Jerry hasn't tried to sign him. It would give him leverage to cut Carr, and Jerry would convince himself that Norman's "cost" would merely be the delta between Carr's current cap charge and Norman's deal. So if Norman gets $12M per year, Jerry will interpret that as a $3M salary since the other $9M has already been allocated.

townsend

Banned
I'm surprised that Jerry hasn't tried to sign him. It would give him leverage to cut Carr, and Jerry would convince himself that Norman's "cost" would merely be the delta between Carr's current cap charge and Norman's deal. So if Norman gets $12M per year, Jerry will interpret that as a $3M salary since the other $9M has already been allocated.
I feel like Stephen's holding the purse strings now. He probably has zero interest in any top FAs.

Top Bottom