DC.com - Staff Writers Give Their “Two Cents” With Cowboys’ Personalized Mock Draft

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Staff Writers Give Their “Two Cents” With Cowboys’ Personalized Mock Draft

Friday, April 01, 2016 9:54 AM CDT

By DallasCowboys.com Report

IRVING, Texas – The calendar has now turned to April, putting us at least in the same month as the NFL Draft, which is set for April 28-30.
The Cowboys have their highest draft pick in 25 years when they went No. 1 overall. The speculation on their fourth pick is all over the map, even with the Cowboys’ own writers who not only tried to speculate this pick, but all of their draft picks in 2016.

Here are the first full mock drafts from Bryan Broaddus, David Helman, Nick Eatman and Rob Phillips.

Bryan
David
Nick
Rob
Round 1
Ezekiel
Elliott
RB - Ohio St.​
Joey
Bosa
DE - Ohio St.​
Myles
Jack

LB - UCLA​
Joey
Bosa
DE - Ohio St.​
Round 2
Karl
Joseph
S - West Virginia​
Xavien
Howard
CB - Baylor​
Will
Fuller
WR - Notre Dame​
William
Jackson III
CB - Houston​
Round 3
Ronald
Blair
DE - Appalachian St.​
Dak
Prescott
QB - Miss. St.​
Christian
Hackenberg

QB - Penn St.​
Kenneth
Dixon

RB - Louisiana Tech
Round 4
Rashard
Higgins
WR - Colorado St.​
Kelvin
Taylor
RB - Florida​
Alex
Collins
RB - Arkansas​
Pharoh
Cooper
WR - South Carolina
Round 4
Jacoby
Brissett
QB - N. Carolina St.​
Harlan
Miller
CB - SE Louisiana​
Jaylon
Smith
LB - Notre Dame​
Brandon
Allen
QB - Arkansas
Round 6
Dan
Vitale
FB - Northwestern​
Tyrone
Holmes
DE - Montana​
Daryl
Worley
CB - West Virginia​
Blake
Martinez
LB - Stanford
Round 6
De'Vante
Harris
CB - Texas A&M​
Marquez
North
WR - Tennessee​
Jay
Lee
WR - Baylor​
Jordan
Lucas
S - Penn S.
Round
Joe
Dahl

OG - Washington St.
Rashard
Robinson

CB - LSU
Pearce
Slater

OT - San Diego St.
Mike
Matthews

C - Texas A&M
Round
Jakeem
Grant

WR - Texas Tech
Joe
Schobert

LB - Wisconsin
Marqui
Christian

S - Midwestern St.
Kyle
Murphy

OT - Stanford

Bryan Broaddus: With all the questions at the top of this board, Ezekiel Elliott makes the most sense. He is a complete football player in every sense of the word. He would be an outstanding why to start this draft. Karl Joseph is a big time hitter and ball hawk. Could pair him with Byron Jones and be solid for years to come. Don’t let the small school fool you are Ronald Blair, he can play. Rashard Higgins is super productive at all levels on the field. Jacoby Brissett has all the physical tools you want in a quarterback. Dan Vitale played for these coaches in the Senior Bowl. De’Vante Harris is a local kid with cover ability. Joe Dahl played offensive tackle but will likely play inside at guard. Jakeem Grant gives the return game a spark with his speed.

David Helman: My apologies if the Joey Bosa pick is a boring one. It’s not a splashy addition, but Bosa is a versatile talent who can rush the passer and defend the run. I’d expect him to contribute from Day 1 and play many years in Dallas. With the pass rush addressed, Howard gives the Cowboys a long, athletic corner who can be the future of the position. Prescott and Taylor are both SEC guys who won’t start right away, but could turn into special talents. The rest of my picks all boast intriguing traits – particularly Holmes, who could be one of this draft’s hidden gems.

Nick Eatman: This pick is certainly dependent on the diagnosis of Jack’s injury, but if he checks out well, this could by the dynamic player this defense needs. Jack is a versatile, catalytic playmaker who instantly makes them better. If he’s not available because of injury, I would probably look to Noah Spence. If I thought Baylor’s Coleman would be around in the second, I would go that route but Fuller is the speedy threat they need. Hackenberg needs to develop and this is a good spot for that. With that supplemental fourth-round pick, why not take a chance here. Smith might not ever be the same, but I’d be willing to take a risk on what was supposed to be a Top 10 pick. And no mock draft of mine would be complete without an alma mater selection to round it off. Probably a little rich for my MSU kid but that’s the latest pick on the board.

Rob Phillips: Bosa has been a polarizing mock draft pick in the eyes of Cowboys fans. He’s talented, but how high is his ceiling? Can he be an elite pass rusher? Fans have wondered aloud all winter, but I still think he makes the most sense at No. 4 if indeed the team doesn’t feel pressured to draft a developmental backup quarterback with their first pick, as Jerry Jones has indicated. The Cowboys have taken steps to address their defensive line in free agency, but they need another pressure player, and Bosa has the type of motor needed to play for Rod Marinelli. Jackson is a talented cover corner who would add quality depth in the secondary if he’s still around at No. 34. In Rounds 3 and 4 I addressed offensive needs at running back, developmental quarterback and wide receiver. Brandon Allen doesn’t have prototypical height, but he’s accurate and he played in a pro-style offense at Arkansas. History isn’t kind to third-day quarterback picks developing into NFL starters, but with time in the Cowboys’ system, Allen could be groomed into a quarterback who eventually can capably run the offense.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Broaddus' draft is money. Eatman's is just outright disgusting.

Jiggyfly

Banned
No issue with Brissett as a developmental QB?

I think he has some intriguing tools but he is not getting as much buzz as I thought he would.

But yeah I would have no issue with that draft even with Elliott at 4.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
No issue with Brissett as a developmental QB?

I think he has some intriguing tools but he is not getting as much buzz as I thought he would.

But yeah I would have no issue with that draft even with Elliott at 4.
Take Zeke, you can have your shitty developmental QB.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
That Taylor pick in the 4th really bothers me he is very average.
He is a good zone runner though. Miller, Holmes and especially Robinson that late dragged this draft up from the bottom for me.

Nothing compares to Eatman's turd fest.

Jiggyfly

Banned
He is a good zone runner though. Miller, Holmes and especially Robinson that late dragged this draft up from the bottom for me.

Nothing compares to Eatman's turd fest.
But he is small and not particularly fast.

I like Jack and Fuller but I don't like him at 4 with him not running before the draft.

townsend

Banned
At this point not picking a QB at 4 is unacceptable. There's just no way to justify ransoming 2016 and beyond on a broke dick QB. We've learned this lesson too many times. Address the most important position on your team, or devolve to irrelevance.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
At this point not picking a QB at 4 is unacceptable. There's just no way to justify ransoming 2016 and beyond on a broke dick QB. We've learned this lesson too many times. Address the most important position on your team, or devolve to irrelevance.
I have given up on the QB idea. Not happening.

We get shit like Prescott and perhaps a round early.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
I have given up on the QB idea. Not happening.

We get shit like Prescott and perhaps a round early.
We could trade up for him in the round before!!

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member
I'd go with Rob's and then Bryan's. Helmans has to be the worst, especially with the 3rd round Dak pick. Don't like Eatmans either.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I kind of like Karl Joseph but the rest of that draft is garbage. No way in hell can I see us taking a RB at four but I know that's why you love it.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I kind of like Karl Joseph but the rest of that draft is garbage. No way in hell can I see us taking a RB at four but I know that's why you love it.
That draft is the best for winning now.

Zeke.

No QB at four?

Best route.

Top Bottom