JJT: Fear of Tony Romo injury shouldn't make Cowboys reach for quarterback

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
If you want to see a bad QB class, take a glance at next year. Obviously a lot can change in a year but holy shit that class looks real bad.
All the more reason to draft one high this year.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
Yeah, I've been telling you guys about Carson Wentz for about three years now.

~Furley sniff~

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
If you want to see a bad QB class, take a glance at next year. Obviously a lot can change in a year but holy shit that class looks real bad.
I like Watson but I'd have to look at him closer to see whether or not the reads he's making are similar to the spread that Lynch is in or if they're more complex. I also worry about how effective he could be without the threat of him running the ball because he doesn't have the frame to withstand the pounding he'd take running the ball 8-10 times a game once he gets to the pros.

I think Kaaya could end up pushing himself up into the 1st too if he has a big year and then there are probably some guys that will pop up, maybe the Mahomes kid from Tech, maybe Kelly from Mississippi, maybe someone we have never heard of before.

We'll see, but I think Watson is a pretty good bet to go top 5 assuming he doesn't regress big time next season and then you'll probably have a few others pop up like Wentz and Lynch did this year.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
We'll see, but I think Watson is a pretty good bet to go top 5 assuming he doesn't regress big time next season and then you'll probably have a few others pop up like Wentz and Lynch did this year.
I feel like we have been down this road with Clemson QBs in the past. Watson is listed at 6'2". Which means he is probably 6'1". Outside of Vick, which QB has gone in the top 5 of the draft and been that short? Doesn't happen because it's just that much more difficult for a QB that short. I'm not saying he is Tajh Boyd but I remember when people thought Boyd would go a lot higher. Ended up being a sixth round pick who also measured in right at 6'1".

Jiggyfly

Banned
I feel like we have been down this road with Clemson QBs in the past. Watson is listed at 6'2". Which means he is probably 6'1". Outside of Vick, which QB has gone in the top 5 of the draft and been that short? Doesn't happen because it's just that much more difficult for a QB that short. I'm not saying he is Tajh Boyd but I remember when people thought Boyd would go a lot higher. Ended up being a sixth round pick who also measured in right at 6'1".
Ok Rock you are venturing into Ravi territory with the height stuff, it's almost as bad as the weight stuff.

Romo, Brees and Wilson are all that height or shorter, I am not sold on him either but his height is down the list of worries.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Ok Rock you are venturing into Ravi territory with the height stuff, it's almost as bad as the weight stuff.

Romo, Brees and Wilson are all that height or shorter, I am not sold on him either but his height is down the list of worries.
Romo is taller so get out of here with your bullshit. This isn't some Ravi weight argument. Unlike weight, a QBs height actually impacts his ability to throw the football and you're smart enough to know that. The NFL has a long standing history of not taking short QBs high in the draft because of this. Hell it's the only reason Brees lasted until the second.

The point isn't about if he can or can't succeed. Of course he can. But NFL teams don't take QBs that short at the top of the draft. They just don't. So if you tell me he will go in the top 5, I'd say not very likely. The only exception for a QB that short has been Vick who boasted 4.3 speed and a cannon arm.

Last edited:

dallen

Senior Tech
I'd rather risk drafting Jamarcus Russell than hope Romo plays 3 more 16+ game seasons. Short term we need a backup and long term we need a replacement. Hopefully we won't have a better shot to find one than we have right now.

Cotton

Staff member
I like Watson but I'd have to look at him closer to see whether or not the reads he's making are similar to the spread that Lynch is in or if they're more complex. I also worry about how effective he could be without the threat of him running the ball because he doesn't have the frame to withstand the pounding he'd take running the ball 8-10 times a game once he gets to the pros.

I think Kaaya could end up pushing himself up into the 1st too if he has a big year and then there are probably some guys that will pop up, maybe the Mahomes kid from Tech, maybe Kelly from Mississippi, maybe someone we have never heard of before.

I like the way you think.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
FWIW, I have a feeling the Cowboys are going to draft a QB, just not sure what round. I wouldn't put it past them to intentionally draft a guy to strictly be Romo's backup and not a long term prospect (they've proven to be this stupid before).

If they pass on a franchise guy, I think it would be seriously short-sighted.

And good lord I only said "lumbering" because Lynch is so huge, to point out the superficial resemblance to Big Ben.

Only history will tell if this class actually comes close to the 2004 group they resemble, but history also suggests expecting the results to be the same is wishful thinking.

Jiggyfly

Banned
Romo is taller so get out of here with your bullshit. This isn't some Ravi weight argument. Unlike weight, a QBs height actually impacts his ability to throw the football and you're smart enough to know that. The NFL has a long standing history of not taking short QBs high in the draft because of this. Hell it's the only reason Brees lasted until the second.

The point isn't about if he can or can't succeed. Of course he can. But NFL teams don't take QBs that short at the top of the draft. They just don't. So if you tell me he will go in the top 5, I'd say not very likely. The only exception for a QB that short has been Vick who boasted 4.3 speed and a cannon arm.
Romo is closer to 6'1 than 6'2.

And teams are not going to write off a QB as a top 5 prospect based on height alone especially after the success of shorter guys recently.

There is no rule that a top 5 QB has to be a certain height, it is totally based on his ability and the talent level of those around him.

Name 1 QB that failed because of his height?

Cotton

Staff member

And teams are not going to write off a QB as a top 5 prospect based on height alone especially after the success of shorter guys recently.

There is no rule that a top 5 QB has to be a certain height, it is totally based on his ability and the talent level of those around him.

Doug Flutie says hello.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member

I feel like you're just screwing with me. No one can be this dumb. Height impacts a QBs ability to see the field. It impacts throwing lanes and the release point of the ball. When the guys blocking are 6'5" or taller it's easier to be taller as a QB. This isn't something new. NFL people have been usimg height as a major factor with QBs for years.

It's the reason Wilson went in the third round. Brees in the second round. It's the reason why 90% of starting NFL QBs are 6'2" or taller.

Jiggyfly

Banned
I feel like you're just screwing with me. No one can be this dumb. Height impacts a QBs ability to see the field. It impacts throwing lanes and the release point of the ball. When the guys blocking are 6'5" or taller it's easier to be taller as a QB. This isn't something new. NFL people have been usimg height as a major factor with QBs for years.

It's the reason Wilson went in the third round. Brees in the second round. It's the reason why 90% of starting NFL QBs are 6'2" or taller.
All of that is true yet just as you posted 2 QB's shorter than that won superbowls, which shows that height can't be the determining factor when judging a QB.

All of this is actually moot because we have no idea what his height actually is.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are

I agree. You can always cite exceptions but the general rule is you want a QB who is tall enough to be able to see down field over the linemen.

Cotton

Staff member
Flutie did not fail.

He played well every opportunity he got, he had a 38-28 career record.
He played his way all the way to the CFL. :lol

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
Verne Troyer was an outstanding high school QB. It's a shame he never got a legitimate shot.

townsend

Banned
Didn't the 86 Bears tank because Flutie came in as a replacement for McMahon?

shoop

Semi-contributing member

Troy Smith.

Didn't help he was also lazy...

Top Bottom