Archer: Continuity a key for Jason Garrett's coaching staff

Smitty

DCC 4Life
You dredge up some old ass examples like that was a valid point and then try to claim Lewis even though he showed something early but yea I'm pushing an agenda..
Making the playoffs 1 out of 6 years is winning!

P-p-p-push it!

Last edited:

Smitty

DCC 4Life
I feel the "First 3 years" metric is better for a second term head coach. Ditka in New Orleans for instance. We should have known when we hired a bad coordinator and bad qb coach that he was a project as a head coach. Ideally we wouldn't have to grow our own, but a Harbaugh would not tolerate a Jerry Jones. Our best bet at success is a big ol' family photo. I'm personally a little disappointed in a 5 year contract, after one good year, but that's what Jerry gets for letting Garrett's lame duck year play out without firing or extending him.
If Garrett doesn't get it done in the coming years, the only thing preventing Jerry from moving on will be his desire to let Garrett earn his status so Jerry can be right. Money won't be an issue if Jerry wants to move on.

data

Forbes #1
It contributed to it. It wasn't the sole (or even the main) reason.

Those are also reasons.

The main reason is the dominance of the OL all season long though, if we're talking about what should get the most credit.
Dez Bryant's breakout December and boozely on clutch 3rd downs should get significant credit for wins, too.

Murray rushing for 100 yards is nice and all, but our passing game is the points-generator.

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member
Garrett remains an average head coach. He needs talent, and he needs a good staff.

Putting him in a group with about half the other coaches in the league. Outside the ones who make chicken salad out of chickenshit, but also not one of the worst who have no direction. Whether you put him at 12th or 20th is personal preference only and mostly just splitting hairs.
You'd think someone committed to winning wouldn't be satisfied with having just the 15th-20th best coach in the league.

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member
If Garrett doesn't get it done in the coming years, the only thing preventing Jerry from moving on will be his desire to let Garrett earn his status so Jerry can be right. Money won't be an issue if Jerry wants to move on.
Totally agree. Nothing has prevented Jerry from hiring a solid quality HC from the time Jimmy left til now. Yet the only time he made an actual effort to do so was with Parcells.

Maybe having two NFL caliber coordinators and a learning-on-the-job HC will be good enough. Guess it'll have to be because that's the best we're going to get anytime soon.

p1_

DCC 4Life
Totally agree. Nothing has prevented Jerry from hiring a solid quality HC from the time Jimmy left til now. Yet the only time he made an actual effort to do so was with Parcells.
And even then, the motivation was not to win football games alone.

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member
And even then, the motivation was not to win football games alone.
Oh I know. He wanted a quick fix from the 5-11 years in order to gain approval and support for the new stadium. After that it went back to business as usual.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
There's a reason why the most successful franchises also happen to be the most stable.
Only 2 NFL teams have had the same head coach, offensive & defensive coordinator since 2012: the Packers and Patriots. Lots of turnover there.

p1_

DCC 4Life
Oh I know. He wanted a quick fix from the 5-11 years in order to gain approval and support for the new stadium. After that it went back to business as usual.
You know those years with Parcells were very difficult on Jerry.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
You'd think someone committed to winning wouldn't be satisfied with having just the 15th-20th best coach in the league.
I've said many times I'm fine with replacing him with a top end coach. I just don't want to be taking shots in the dark.

Of course you can't do it now though.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Garrett is improving. He is intelligent enough and been around the game long enough to have a good grasp for it. His difficulty in thd past has been that he tbought the HC had to be in charge of everything. I think he has begun to get past that and it is paying off.

p1_

DCC 4Life
Garrett is improving. He is intelligent enough and been around the game long enough to have a good grasp for it. His difficulty in thd past has been that he tbought the HC had to be in charge of everything. I think he has begun to get past that and it is paying off.
I don't think that was Garrett's approach so much as Jerry's mandate. Big difference.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
I don't think that was Garrett's approach so much as Jerry's mandate. Big difference.
Doesnt matter how it came about. The result is a better situation.

p1_

DCC 4Life
Doesnt matter how it came about. The result is a better situation.
Well, it did. The results spoke for themselves, consecutive 8-8 campaigns.
Only when Garrett's scope and duties changed, so did the record.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Well, it did. The results spoke for themselves, consecutive 8-8 campaigns.
Only when Garrett's scope and duties changed, so did the record.
That was the whole idea.

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member
I've said many times I'm fine with replacing him with a top end coach. I just don't want to be taking shots in the dark.

Of course you can't do it now though.
I know. I winning season primarily due to the two coordinators and we've locked him up long term.

Top Bottom