MacMahon: Beasley key to creating mismatches for Dez

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Beasley key to creating mismatches for Dez
July, 27, 2014

By Tim MacMahon | ESPNDallas.com

OXNARD, Calif. -- Cole Beasley wants to prove he’s more than just a slot receiver after feeling like he’s been pigeonholed in his NFL career.

“That comes with being 5-8 and 175 pounds,” Beasley said.

The Cowboys plan to give Beasley every opportunity to prove he can make plays as an outside receiver. It’s not just about expanding the role of a receiver who emerged as a significant contributor in his second NFL season, catching 39 passes for 368 yards and two touchdowns. If Beasley can do more than just play in the slot, it opens up possibilities for the Cowboys coaches to create mismatches with their most dangerous weapon.

For the first few seasons of his NFL career, the Cowboys featured Dez Bryant solely as the X receiver, keeping his role as simple as possible. They moved him around some last season, and he’s mentally prepared for much more of that entering his fifth year, often working out of the slot in three-receiver sets with Beasley outside.

“I think there’s really no limit on what we can do with him, and I believe that,” receivers coach Derek Dooley said. “We started moving him around last year, and that’s the only way to continue to get him the production that he needs to get because defensive coordinators are too good. If they know where he’s going to be, it’s going to be a long Sunday.

“So the sky’s the limit. It’s a matter of repping. To your point, moving him into the slot, we’ve got to figure out what Cole’s role is, so that’s what we’re working through right now.”

It’s a challenge that Beasley embraces.

“I’d just say [I am] more confident after being in the last two seasons and getting some time to actually play,” Beasley said. “Knowing I can do it and knowing how good I can be, that really excites me. I wouldn’t say I’m a different player. I’d just say with more opportunities, I’ll get better and better.”

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
:picard

Beasley.

Dez needs Beasley.

I'm not sure I've heard a more ridiculous notion ever.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Makes sense to me. Beasley can used a lot of ways in a lot of alignments. This could allow Dez to also be moved around for favorable matchups. Some schemes can even put Dez in a slot if Beasley can get seperation on an outside defender. It would free the middle. I can imagine a lot of formations if Beasley has progressed enough to be a primary receiver because he has great hands.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
If Shrimp Beasley is a key to our offense...wow.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
If Shrimp Beasley is a key to our offense...wow.
He's not the key necessarily but he can possibly be utilized in ways to allow guys like Bryant to get a few mismatches and everything helps.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
He's not the key necessarily but he can possibly be utilized in ways to allow guys like Bryant to get a few mismatches and everything helps.
Beasley isn't going to draw anymore coverage than any other warm body they line up out wide though- it's like Detroit saying whatever scrub is out wide is the key to getting Megatron open

Last edited:

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Beasley isn't going to draw anymore coverage than any other warm body they line up out wide though- it's like Detroit saying whatever scrub is out wide is the key to getting Megatron open
I don't believe that is what I was saying. I was referencing alignments to allow Bryant to go against mimatch coverage. It won't work all the time but there are occasions when it can.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
I don't believe that is what I was saying. I was referencing alignments to allow Bryant to go against mimatch coverage. It won't work all the time but there are occasions when it can.
I get that, it's them saying Beasley is the key to it that's ridiculous, they just have to move Dez and whoever is out wide is fine

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Pretty much.

If he's in there, it is also a tell that we are not serious about running the ball.

There is a reason when we ran the ball with multiple wideouts in the game last year, Harris was the extra guy, not him.

p1_

DCC 4Life
Mrs. Beasley? Seriously? That's effing hilarious.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
I get that, it's them saying Beasley is the key to it that's ridiculous, they just have to move Dez and whoever is out wide is fine
Got nothing to do with coverage. It's about possible mismatches but I have already said that three times now. I see no point in repeating.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
Got nothing to do with coverage. It's about possible mismatches but I have already said that three times now. I see no point in repeating.
I think we're actually thinking the same here, I have been screaming for us to move Dez around for awhile to create mismatches. I was just saying Beasley or whoever is out wide makes no difference

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
:picard

Beasley.

Dez needs Beasley.

I'm not sure I've heard a more ridiculous notion ever.
It's scary the quality of player that's supposedly become "key" for this team. It reminds me how much many Joe Fans were actually counting on Macey "Testicular Torsion" Brooks and Stepfret Williams to become "key" contributors and even starters on this team.

It's delusional. Beasley is a poor man's Julian Edelman and nothing more. I actually like the kid, but he's seriously untalented.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
I think we're actually thinking the same here, I have been screaming for us to move Dez around for awhile to create mismatches. I was just saying Beasley or whoever is out wide makes no difference
I actually think he can. The reason I believe this is because he can get separation pretty quickly for an average speed guy. He probably won't be a vertical threat but he can be consistent enough on the short or intermediate pass to keep the chains moving.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
I actually think he can. The reason I believe this is because he can get separation pretty quickly for an average speed guy. He probably won't be a vertical threat but he can be consistent enough on the short or intermediate pass to keep the chains moving.

Cotton

Staff member
The problem with Beasley out wide isn't his speed... it's his lack of strength to get off of press coverage.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
The problem with Beasley out wide isn't his speed... it's his lack of strength to get off of press coverage.
What I saw of him at SMU this wasn't a problem but I haven't seem how he would do in the NFL in this role.

Cotton

Staff member
What I saw of him at SMU this wasn't a problem but I haven't seem how he would do in the NFL in this role.
Exactly. Because he hasn't been able to. Don't you think they would have used him outside if he could get separation off the line?

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Exactly. Because he hasn't been able to. Don't you think they would have used him outside if he could get separation off the line?
It could be he hasn't been used that way yet.

Cotton

Staff member
It could be he hasn't been used that way yet.
I don't think that is in question. We have all watched the games. He obviously has not, but the question is why. My guess is they know or have seen in practice that he can't get separation.

Top Bottom