Saints Team To Watch In Potential Trade For Cowboys G Ronald Leary

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Leary is quality depth. The only way I give him up is for replacing some critical position with quality depth.
You'll never get in a trade what he's worth to the team. A starting guard for cheap in a season with playoff hopes... kind of hard to replace that.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Lol so you think 2 starts at most out of a guard is worth at least a foruth round pick? Thats stupid, I'm sorry.
So, you think a serious or even moderate injury would be just two weeks. That's stupid. I'm sorry.

Cotton

Staff member
How many serious injuries have happened to us at guard. Odds of that are slim.
How are odds any more slim of an injury at guard than any other position along the offensive line? They are taking on huge DTs. That's a dumb premise.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
How are odds any more slim of an injury at guard than any other position along the offensive line? They are taking on huge DTs. That's a dumb premise.
Compared to other positions Oline sustains fewer injuries.

I just sont get how anyone thinks one year as a backup player is worth a fourth round pick. Especially not at a position like guard. How many non probowl guards do you even see being swapped for fourth round or higher picks?

Cotton

Staff member
Compared to other positions Oline sustains fewer injuries.

I just sont get how anyone thinks one year as a backup player is worth a fourth round pick. Especially not at a position like guard. How many non probowl guards do you even see being swapped for fourth round or higher picks?
I probably take a 4th rounder. I say GTFO if it's a 5th or lower. Thought I was clear about that.

dallen

Senior Tech
If we have an oline injury we are going to be very glad Leary is around to protect Romo.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
If we have an oline injury we are going to be very glad Leary is around to protect Romo.
So I guess we should trade next years fourth round pick for a swing tackle? Even if it's for one year.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
So I guess we should trade next years fourth round pick for a swing tackle? Even if it's for one year.
No but if your team has depth problems the last thing you want to do is create another position depth issue. Leary represents a depth solution for his position so unless you can at a minimum use his availability to solve another depth issue then letting him do is a step back because now you have an additional depth issue to contend with.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
No but if your team has depth problems the last thing you want to do is create another position depth issue. Leary represents a depth solution for his position so unless you can at a minimum use his availability to solve another depth issue then letting him do is a step back because now you have an additional depth issue to contend with.
Well we did sign a backup center guard in free agemcy as well. So its not like our depth goes to shit without Leary.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
Well we did sign a backup center guard in free agemcy as well. So its not like our depth goes to shit without Leary.
Exactly and truthfully given that he doesn't play tackle or center he's probably not going to dress most weeks. But I guess he's just too darn valuable to trade.

The only argument I'd agree with is maybe the compensation pick when he signs elsewhere could be higher than what we'd get back in a trade. But even at that we have to factor in that the comp pick won't be til 2018.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
The only argument I'd agree with is maybe the compensation pick when he signs elsewhere could be higher than what we'd get back in a trade. But even at that we have to factor in that the comp pick won't be til 2018.
The other problem with Comp picks is if we sign anyone in free agency it can cancel the comp pick out all together.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
It gets questionable though.

But seriously, if the lack of a backup guard derails your season, you got bigger issues than that.

It just amazes me where we decide to take out insurance policies and where we don't.

That just shows you that this team is run poorly and by pretty stupid people that don't understand how the game works.

townsend

Banned
It gets questionable though.

But seriously, if the lack of a backup guard derails your season, you got bigger issues than that.

It just amazes me where we decide to take out insurance policies and where we don't.

That just shows you that this team is run poorly and by pretty stupid people that don't understand how the game works.
The problem is we seem to approach personnel like a guy on ecstasy at a sex shop, a lot of impulses and not much of a plan. That's probably why one of our three notable FA signings was a RB and our top 5 pick was also a RB. It's why we spend 2nd rounders on long shots, and gimmick Tight Ends. It's why we have so many top draft picks that have to take "red shirt seasons".

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
The problem is we seem to approach personnel like a guy on ecstasy at a sex shop, a lot of impulses and not much of a plan. That's probably why one of our three notable FA signings was a RB and our top 5 pick was also a RB. It's why we spend 2nd rounders on long shots, and gimmick Tight Ends. It's why we have so many top draft picks that have to take "red shirt seasons".
I think alot of it is because there are so many voices in the proverbial room. You have Stephen, Garrett and McClay who are generally stable football minds, but then you have Garrett's TE fetish that rears its head every 3-4 years, the fact that Stephen actually isn't a true evaluator, you also have Jerry's maniacal idiocy that has to be fed and of course let's not forget the fact that God only knows who is in his ear at any given time from Barry Switzer to Larry Lacewell.

This so called "consensus" decision making basically creates a bunch of mouths to feed and egos to soothe, that's how you get a dumb fuck pick like Escobar in 2013 after Garrett threw his little hissy fit over passing on Eifert to trade down to 31.

It's honestly better than it was 10 years ago because Jerry is marginalized and not making all the decisions like he was in the past but it is also very dysfunctional in its own way.

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
Signing Carr to $50million then moving up to take Claiborne at 6, at least they're consistent in overcompensating impulsively or something.

Top Bottom