Rolando McClain's Alabama home burns down

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
I really hope he wasn't behind it, but it looks like attempted insurance fraud from my perspective.

Hopefully it's a jilted ex, a Cowboy-hater, or just random violence.

Financially he's taking a bath with the house just sitting there, and if he's planning a move (say to Dallas) I could see him getting anxious and making some calls.

Again, I hope not, but...
I will wait for the investigation to be completed. I have faith in that process.

P_T

Baddest MoFo Around
I wonder if he is/was involved with Andre Rison's ex?

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Merits posting this here as well.
As a general matter you don't make money on aarson acts. It is more of a desperation strategy. The exception is fraudulently valued real estate and property. If he has debt on the house then the creditor would be named as the loss payee on any insurance policy. Since he is gainfully employed and has good future prospects it is likely creditors would work with him. Again short of stupid forethought it doesn't have the earmarks of self perpetuated aarson. Just have to wait this one out.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
Merits posting this here as well.
As a general matter you don't make money on aarson acts. It is more of a desperation strategy. The exception is fraudulently valued real estate and property. If he has debt on the house then the creditor would be named as the loss payee on any insurance policy. Since he is gainfully employed and has good future prospects it is likely creditors would work with him. Again short of stupid forethought it doesn't have the earmarks of self perpetuated aarson. Just have to wait this one out.
This is a guy who has held a loaded gun to a person's head and repeatedly told policemen to go F themselves, in addition to retiring twice by the age of 25. Not sure intelligent forethought is exactly his forte.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
This is why I'm suspicious.
That's a distinct possibility. The circumstance would then be that the bank or mortgage company was pressuring him and he panicked. Any reasonable thinking individual would just say okay I can't pay take the house back. I will deed it back to you. There are too many rationale remedies available to conclude aarson again short of dumber than stump mentalities.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
This is a guy who has held a loaded gun to a person's head and repeatedly told policemen to go F themselves, in addition to retiring twice by the age of 25. Not sure intelligent forethought is exactly his forte.
There would need to be some motive to destroying a house. Are you suggesting something other than financial?

Smitty

DCC 4Life
My first thought as soon as I heard the house was for sale was, I hope this wasn't him.

We'll see.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
I have no idea about his debt, but why is it so inconceivable to you that he'd do this to try to get some money now rather than waiting years longer for it to sell? Again keeping in mind this isn't the most savvy individual in the world.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
I have no idea about his debt, but why is it so inconceivable to you that he'd do this to try to get some money now rather than waiting years longer for it to sell? Again keeping in mind this isn't the most savvy individual in the world.
If it can be established that he owned it outright or had tons of equity then it could be feasible but absent any pressure for financial reasons and being currently employed with good future prospects it doesn't fit the mold. That said, the dumber than a stump mentality still could come into play. But that's the only other explanation. Aarson is a criminal act and scheming criminal minds are actually pretty logical.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
McClain is definitely one of those "it's always something" guys Parcells warned about.
That's kind of what worried me about him.

But what I didn't count on is the fact that he's good enough to make it worth putting up with (within reason).

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
If it can be established that he owned it outright or had tons of equity then it could be feasible but absent any pressure for financial reasons and being currently employed with good future prospects it doesn't fit the mold.
I have no idea -- for all I know, it could be a bitter baby momma or childhood friend who did this and Ro is 100% innocent.

But I don't think it's out of the question that an eight overall pick could have owned the house outright.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Technically if he owned it outright, I'm not sure it is prosecutable.

Only if there is a mortgage, then it is.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Why is everyone assuming it is arson at all. No one was living in the house. Odds are there was some sort of an issue that no one paid attention (Because it's not inhabited) and the thing went up in flames. McClain isn't retarded. Mentally unstable yes but there is a huge difference between mentally unstable and committing insurance fraud as people suggest on here.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Why is everyone assuming it is arson at all. No one was living in the house. Odds are there was some sort of an issue that no one paid attention (Because it's not inhabited) and the thing went up in flames. McClain isn't retarded. Mentally unstable yes but there is a huge difference between mentally unstable and committing insurance fraud as people suggest on here.
Everyone isn't assuming he is. I pointed out the reasons it didn't make sense unless he is missing some assetts.

Top Bottom