Prospects Dallas Has Shown Interest In - 2014

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
If I were to give up two 1st + 2nd I would want it to be a sure thing, not a boom or bust...
So you just gave up Bobby Carpenter, Felix Jones and Martellus Bennett. I'm cool with that.

As long as we didn't just give up Dez Bryant, Frederick and Sean Lee...

Angrymesscan

DCC 4Life
While I would generally agree with you, what exactly would we be risking?

I mean, if Jerry fired Garrett and stepped back and admitted he needed to change and put in a real coach and a GM or whatever, then I'd be right there with you. But we all know that Jerry isn't going anywhere and neither is this ridiculous, bullshit structure that isn't going to allow us to win anything of note anytime soon.

So would we really be mortgaging our "future" if we were to give up all that and miss on Manziel? The way I look at it, we're headed for doom anyway so we have nothing to lose. But if he becomes a star, a franchise QB can do a lot for you even in a circus like Dallas.
This is just moronic, let's spend our first three picks every year on QB's, since "a franchise QB can do a lot for you even in a circus like Dallas" and "we're headed for doom anyway so we have nothing to lose". The key word in franchise QB is franchise, not even the greatest QB's can win without a good team around them (see Marino, Fouts, early Elway, late Brady, Manning, etc.), I don't trust JJ as far as I can throw him to get things right, but I like his chances to "blindly luck into something", better with more picks.

D

Deuce

So you just gave up Bobby Carpenter, Felix Jones and Martellus Bennett. I'm cool with that.

As long as we didn't just give up Dez Bryant, Frederick and Sean Lee...
What if it turns out to be a mixure of Ware, Carpenter and an average player like Bruce Carter?

Would he be worth it then?

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
What if it turns out to be a mixure of Ware, Carpenter and an average player like Bruce Carter?

Would he be worth it then?
Yep.

And if the QB doesn't work out I'd take another stab at a QB at the top of the draft as soon as possible. The right QB can change the course of a franchise dramatically. As we have seen with Ware, even a guy with Hall of Fame numbers can't transform an entire unit by himself. We can talk about how Manziel isn't a can't miss prospect but short of Andrew Luck who is? I don't care what you offered the Colts weren't giving up that pick on a can't miss prospect like Luck.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
While I would generally agree with you, what exactly would we be risking?

I mean, if Jerry fired Garrett and stepped back and admitted he needed to change and put in a real coach and a GM or whatever, then I'd be right there with you. But we all know that Jerry isn't going anywhere and neither is this ridiculous, bullshit structure that isn't going to allow us to win anything of note anytime soon.

So would we really be mortgaging our "future" if we were to give up all that and miss on Manziel? The way I look at it, we're headed for doom anyway so we have nothing to lose. But if he becomes a star, a franchise QB can do a lot for you even in a circus like Dallas.
I refuse to submit to this mentality. I still want this team to win, and doing something very risky like this could potentially put that off even further. Say Jerry did it and he busts, how long do you think it would be again before he would try for a QB high in the draft again.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
I refuse to submit to this mentality. I still want this team to win, and doing something very risky like this could potentially put that off even further. Say Jerry did it and he busts, how long do you think it would be again before he would try for a QB high in the draft again.
I don't know....but we're going on 25 years since we last did that, what's 25 more?

:art

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
We are too many pieces away to be able to afford to throw our whole draft away. Then again we generally only hit on one player a draft so why not.

Angrymesscan

DCC 4Life
We are too many pieces away to be able to afford to throw our whole draft away. Then again we generally only hit on one player a draft so why not.
Because we need 5 shots to get one and if you use all on one boom or bust, chances are he'll bust...?

Smitty

DCC 4Life
It depends on how you feel about the player.

If it was Andrew Luck, you trade two firsts and a second for him all day long. There is not much of an argument to be made that you shouldn't, when your starter is 34 years old, has only won 1 playoff game, and your team is flirting with a rebuild.

If it's Sam Bradford or Matt Stafford, that's a little different. You have to do your homework and make sure that you are sure he's gonna work out. That's why there are workouts, film breakdown, interviews, etc.

There certainly are QBs I would have paid to move up for to that extent, even ones who don't go first overall. I would have loved to move up for a Ben Roethlisberger, who I loved, or also a Matt Leinart, who did not pan out. I would use as an example also a guy like Matt Ryan who had a fairly safe label on him, though lacking upside, as someone who would probably be worth the price.

Manziel might be a little risky. But if the team evaluated him and decided he was worth it, I would applaud the move. Cause you are gonna have to get in the top 5 for him most likely.

If he falls to 10 or something, it's a no brainer.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Trading away that many pieces for Manziel is actually an acknowledgement of how far you are away. It's an acknowledgement that you are too many drafts away from being a contender, realistically, with this core. So in reality, trying to cobble together assets for this particular team is the bigger waste of time. Under that line of thinking anyway.

Of course, our interview here is probably just due diligence in case of an Aaron Rodgers like slide. If he's there at 16 you have to pull the trigger, really.

D

Deuce

Trading away that many pieces for Manziel is actually an acknowledgement of how far you are away. It's an acknowledgement that you are too many drafts away from being a contender, realistically, with this core. So in reality, trying to cobble together assets for this particular team is the bigger waste of time. Under that line of thinking anyway.

Of course, our interview here is probably just due diligence in case of an Aaron Rodgers like slide. If he's there at 16 you have to pull the trigger, really.
I don't think it's as much due dilligence as it is Jerruh interviewing the star of Texas college football.

We tried lak hell to get that ther Johnny Football. Thought he'd make a great Dallus Cawboy. ~wink~

Cotton

Staff member
I don't think it's as much due dilligence as it is Jerruh interviewing the star of Texas college football.

We tried lak hell to get that ther Johnny Football. Thought he'd make a great Dallus Cawboy. ~wink~
:lol

God, we have gotten way too good at replicating his speech patterns.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member

D

Deuce

Charean Williams@NFLCharean 1m Mike Evans says he has met with the Cowboys informally. He has met with Seahawks and Lions formally, among others.

Cotton

Staff member
Someone needs to teach Deuce how to post a tweet.

:unsure

Cotton

Staff member

D

Deuce

Someone needs to teach Deuce how to post a tweet.

:unsure
I usually just use the site from my ipad app and you can only cut/paste from there. Now I'm on a laptop and I don't know where you get the numbers from.

Either way, GFY.

D

Deuce

:towel

Top Bottom