Thursday Night Football Moving to CBS

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
Surprised this wasn't posted yet.....

The NFL says CBS will televise eight of its Thursday night games next season.

CBS won bidding for the games, an increasingly valuable property for network television. The games will be simulcast on the NFL Network and come during the first half of the season. The league's cable network will keep the second-half games for itself, although the broadcasts will continue to be produced by CBS.

Of those eight second-half games, six will be on Thursday nights with two as part of a Saturday doubleheader in Week 16. The first Saturday game would be in the afternoon followed by the second in prime time, NFL spokesman Brian McCarthy said.

The NFL says the contract is for one year, and the league has an option to extend it for 2015. The CBS lead broadcasting team of Jim Nantz and Phil Simms will be in the booth for all Thursday night games.

"NFL Network built Thursday into a night for NFL fans," commissioner Roger Goodell said in a statement. "Our goal is to bring these games to more fans on broadcast television with unprecedented promotion and visibility for Thursday Night Football on CBS."

dallen

Senior Tech
Thursday NIght Football sucks

Newt

DCC 4Life
Thursday night football does suck, its just to soon to play. At least it will be free now.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
Not a big fan or Thursday games either, but having them on a station only people with DirecTV can watch was stupid. And I say this even though I have DTV. Moving them to one of the big stations was a good move. It's not like the Thursday games were going away. At least more people can see them now.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
Not a big fan or Thursday games either, but having them on a station only people with DirecTV can watch was stupid. And I say this even though I have DTV. Moving them to one of the big stations was a good move. It's not like the Thursday games were going away. At least more people can see them now.
Another reason why they may try to improve the slate of games that are on Thursday nights.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
You didn't need to have DTV to see Thursdays games. I saw them and i have cable.

UncleMilti

This seemed like a good idea at the time.
Staff member
You didn't need to have DTV to see Thursdays games. I saw them and i have cable.
Yeah, doesn't one of the Cable Co's carry NFL Network? I know TWC cable doesn't.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Oh great. More annoying Phil Simms.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
So does this mean all games will involve at least one AFC team?

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
So does this mean all games will involve at least one AFC team?
I doubt it.

I don't see how they could logistically make that happen. Plus it would really limit exposure for all the teams, which I still think will be the case.

1bigfan13

Staff member
I remember back in the day the NFL had games on Saturday after the college season had wrapped up.

I don't know why it took them so long to go back to this.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
I remember back in the day the NFL had games on Saturday after the college season had wrapped up.

I don't know why it took them so long to go back to this.
Yes! I was just wondering about that back in December.

I used to love Saturday afternoon games and was curious as to why they got rid of them in the first place.

1bigfan13

Staff member
Yes! I was just wondering about that back in December.

I used to love Saturday afternoon games and was curious as to why they got rid of them in the first place.
According to an article on CBS Sports, aside from this year, they've had a regular season game on Saturday every year since 1970. It doesn't feel like it.

Maybe they've been crappy match ups and I've purposely skipped them.

Top Bottom