MLB Chatter Thread

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
Too many years and too much money for my liking, plus he seems to be always hurt. But I'll take him. Does he play CF? Do Yanks trade Gardner? Does Ellsbury play LF and Gardner CF?
It just occurred to me how strange it is that you asked if he plays CF. Not trying to be insulting but Boston is your favorite teams' biggest division rival and the teams play each other something like 18 times a year. How did you not know Ellsbury plays CF?

Edit: nevermind. I think I read it wrong. You must have been speculating on what he would do in NY.

Last edited:

Kbrown

Not So New Member
I like the Dexter Fowler trade for the Astros. A guy with speed and a decent OBP is exactly what the team needs.

Tony D

DCC 4Life
It just occurred to me how strange it is that you asked if he plays CF. Not trying to be insulting but Boston is your favorite teams' biggest division rival and the teams play each other something like 18 times a year. How did you not know Ellsbury plays CF?
You really think I don't know that? Seriously? I asked because our CF is damn good defensively so I wasn't sure what their plan was. They have 2 above average defensive CF's now, but I think Gardner is better.

Tony D

DCC 4Life
Deuce the 189 million goal better be out the window after this awful contract. They have to sign Cano now and others.

Carp

DCC 4Life
I like the Dexter Fowler trade for the Astros. A guy with speed and a decent OBP is exactly what the team needs.
Great trade...you guys gave up nothing to get him.

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
You really think I don't know that? Seriously? I asked because our CF is damn good defensively so I wasn't sure what their plan was. They have 2 above average defensive CF's now, but I think Gardner is better.
I figured out that I read it wrong and edited my post, probably as you were responding. I was shocked when I was thinking that you somehow didn't know that though!

Tony D

DCC 4Life
I figured out that I read it wrong and edited my post, probably as you were responding. I was shocked when I was thinking that you somehow didn't know that though!
Ha, ok. Yes, when I said does he play CF, I meant with Yanks.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
Sad to see him go, especially to that team, but at his age and given his injuries, it only makes sense he'd take the money and set himself up.

Thanks for the memories.

D

Deuce

Deuce the 189 million goal better be out the window after this awful contract. They have to sign Cano now and others.
:lol

Ya, I'd say that goal got the kabosh as soon as the Red Sox hoisted another WS trophy.

Carp

DCC 4Life
Mets are getting close with Granderson...I know we'll have to overpay because the market is cray cray, but I'll take it. Now move Ike for a SS.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
Rangers are meeting with Choo. Not sure how I feel with paying a guy crazy money with a handicap against lefties.

D

Deuce

Don't worry, Tony. Your Cano backup plan has arrived.

[h=1]Yankees Close To Signing Kelly Johnson[/h]By Zach Links [December 3 at 10:52pm CST]
The Yankees are close to signing Kelly Johnson to a one-year deal worth $2.75-$3MM, according to Joel Sherman of the New York Post (on Twitter). The plan is for Johnson to move around the diamond and serve as a potential second base option if Robinson Cano goes elsewhere.
Johnson has primarily played second base over the course of his career but he also offers experience at left field and saw some time at third base in 2013. Johnson, 32 in February, owns a career slash line of .253/.335/.427 across eight seasons with the Braves, D'Backs, Blue Jays, and Rays. Over the last three seasons, however, he has slashed just .226/.307/.395.
The deal marks a small pay raise for the veteran, who made $2.45MM with Tampa Bay in 2013. Johnson is represented by Relativity Baseball, according to the MLBTR Agency Database.

Carp

DCC 4Life
Rangers are meeting with Choo. Not sure how I feel with paying a guy crazy money with a handicap against lefties.
I always kind of the of all the "big" free agents he would be the last to go. I like the player and all, but he wants elite money...and he is not elite.

Rev

Staff member
I always kind of the of all the "big" free agents he would be the last to go. I like the player and all, but he wants elite money...and he is not elite.
His OBP would be nice for the Rangers as that was a problem last season. I just can't see 100 million for the player and already having Moreland as a lefty handicap. I don't really think we have a shot for the guy so maybe its just due diligence.

Rev

Staff member
Now Rangers may be jumping in on Beltran. First that I've heard about any interest.

Tony D

DCC 4Life

Ya, I'd say that goal got the kabosh as soon as the Red Sox hoisted another WS trophy.
I don't think all of it has to do with the Red Sox winning. I'm sure it's one of the factors. Attendance was down. YES TV ratings were down. They have nothing in the minors close that can help in 2014 so they have to spend. The Yankees shouldn't be cutting payroll anyhow. We're not the Mets. What they should do is not sign these albatross, long term deals though. And if Arod's contract is off the books this year their payroll will probably still be down from 2013, but I don't think they can get to 189.

Tony D

DCC 4Life
Don't worry, Tony. Your Cano backup plan has arrived.

[h=1]Yankees Close To Signing Kelly Johnson[/h]By Zach Links [December 3 at 10:52pm CST]
The Yankees are close to signing Kelly Johnson to a one-year deal worth $2.75-$3MM, according to Joel Sherman of the New York Post (on Twitter). The plan is for Johnson to move around the diamond and serve as a potential second base option if Robinson Cano goes elsewhere.
Johnson has primarily played second base over the course of his career but he also offers experience at left field and saw some time at third base in 2013. Johnson, 32 in February, owns a career slash line of .253/.335/.427 across eight seasons with the Braves, D'Backs, Blue Jays, and Rays. Over the last three seasons, however, he has slashed just .226/.307/.395.
The deal marks a small pay raise for the veteran, who made $2.45MM with Tampa Bay in 2013. Johnson is represented by Relativity Baseball, according to the MLBTR Agency Database.
Nice pickup...for a utility guy. Solidifies the bench.

D

Deuce

@Buster_ESPN: A rival executive on the Ellsbury signing: "If Scott signs a big free agent this early [in the offseason), it means it's bad for the team."

Rev

Staff member
@Buster_ESPN: A rival executive on the Ellsbury signing: "If Scott signs a big free agent this early [in the offseason), it means it's bad for the team."

It killed Jerrod Weavers career.

Top Bottom