2016 Random Cowboys Related Stuff Thread...

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deuce

Maybe if our uber awesome big money WR could get open deep, we'd take more shots. Beasley can't get down field and Butler can but can't catch a cold.

Williams is really our only shot at going deep and he's a shitty route runner.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Dak is to blame for a lot of those sacks. He is holding the ball too long and probably being a bit too cautious throwing to guys unless he feels their wide open. The TB game was much better but he's had 3-4 games where he acted like he could sit back and just survey the field forever.

The holding penalties are killers...Not sure why it's such an issue the last few weeks.
Yeah, he's gotta get the ball out quicker. Which lends itself to my point that that the short to intermediate routes are perfect for our team right now. Dial up longer pass plays on a regular basis, and that could exacerbate the problem.

Cotton

Staff member
Maybe if our uber awesome big money WR could get open deep, we'd take more shots. Beasley can't get down field and Butler can but can't catch a cold.

And, he rarely high-points the ball. Which makes it even more difficult to trust him.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member

Butler is actually a pretty good deep ball receiver as well. He is odd though. He has really strong hands but he drops way too many balls for that to be the case.

townsend

Banned

Dez has the most deep receptions I think.

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
Dak is to blame for a lot of those sacks. He is holding the ball too long and probably being a bit too cautious throwing to guys unless he feels their wide open. The TB game was much better but he's had 3-4 games where he acted like he could sit back and just survey the field forever.

It seems like this is why he's not going downfield. While he is comfortable in the pocket and goes through the progression, he's not confident enough to gamble on anything less than a wide-open shot down field and would rather hit intermediate passes between the hashes.

I sure don't mind him cutting down on mistakes and taking the safe play, but to win a SB he's got to get some timing down with the receivers. He and Dez are starting to click a little, but Brice and TWill need to step the fuck up.

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
Yeah, he's gotta get the ball out quicker. Which lends itself to my point that that the short to intermediate routes are perfect for our team right now. Dial up longer pass plays on a regular basis, and that could exacerbate the problem.

They need to take the sweeps out of the playbook for a few weeks and replace it with hail marys.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP

Cotton

Staff member
Oh. My. God.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
No shit. Let's have a line that is not killing it in pass pro have to do it even longer.
So you're saying the OL can't pass protect long enough to throw a deep pass? That's a load. A bunch of our holding penalties are coming on run plays. Maybe a majority of them.

The Giants were often rushing six and the OL picked up most of those blitzes. That was not easy.

Dak doesn't have "eyes in the back of his head" pocket presence yet. He'll learn that, but a lot of sacks happen now because he's not throwing the ball away or checking down.

He's also fumbling too often when he's sacked.

The OL, even Doug Free, has been well above average and often outstanding in pass protection. We haven't seen the 8 second pockets Romo had at times in 2014, but they've been good.

dallen

Senior Tech
I knew it. Ezekiel Elliot is a genie here to grant Jerry Jones three wishes

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
I knew it. Ezekiel Elliot is a genie here to grant Jerry Jones three wishes
Give me more jersey sales. Done.

GIve me more media attention. Done.

Give me more credit as a football man. Done.

Give me more wins and championshi... What? That's four? Ok. The first three will be fine, then.

p1_

DCC 4Life

Butler is a player, tho...

ravidubey

DCC 4Life

Meh, we all saw Dez streaking on that deep post wide open and Dak seeming not to notice. It's not a high priority for us next to keeping higher percentage plays going. Dez also had those bombs @Pit and @Minn, so I think he can get open. We need to try more double moves.

Williams never drops the ball and since failing to get out of bounds week 1 has been outstanding this year as a blocker and in his understanding of the rules. Butler's had a couple of drops but it's no reason to stop targeting him altogether.

Sure if they are playing two-deep zone it's harder, but we are seeing 8 in the box 40% of the time so the two-deep thing isn't really happening.

If Dez makes a double move vs single coverage the quarterback HAS to try him at least once, otherwise it's a green light for the safety to move up and further limit the running game.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Someone tell me why I shouldn't want to resign Carr and Claiborne if they come at the right price.

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
Someone tell me why I shouldn't want to resign Carr and Claiborne if they come at the right price.
I would look to maybe get Carr on a 3 year deal if it was for the money was right, but it would have to be very reasonable. He is solid but I would try to get a restock that position via the draft with younger, cheaper talent this offseason. He is the type of vet I would potentially bring back though. Not a great player but not terrible. Very reliable from a health standpoint as well.

Claiborne would have to be very, very cheap. Games played by season; 2012: 15, 2013: 10, 2014: 4, 2015: 11, 2016: 7. Completely unreliable and not always very good even when he has been in there. The first half of this season was encouraging because he was playing very well but of course that optimism was dashed as he got shelved for an extended period of time with another injury. If he wants to do another 1 year deal for bottom dollar I'd take a chance but nothing more than that.

Last edited:

Angrymesscan

DCC 4Life
You just need one of the 2 with OScan and Brown, just take the cheaper of the 2 and draft another in the 4th or later picked by whoever is responsible for the Brown pick.

townsend

Banned
I would look to maybe get Carr on a 3 year deal if it was for the money was right, but it would have to be very reasonable. He is solid but I would try to get a restock that position via the draft with younger, cheaper talent this offseason. He is the type of vet I would potentially bring back though. Not a great player but not terrible. Very reliable from a health standpoint as well.

Claiborne would have to be very, very cheap. Games played by season; 2012: 15, 2013: 10, 2014: 4, 2015: 11, 2016: 7. Completely unreliable and not always very good even when he has been in there. The first half of this season was encouraging because he was playing very well but of course that optimism was dashed as he got shelved for an extended period of time with another injury. If he wants to do another 1 year deal for bottom dollar I'd take a chance but nothing more than that.
Carr's durability is a big deal. Claiborne and Scandrick are rarely healthy at the same time. Having at least one CB that's consistently able to start has kept a thin defense afloat for a very long time.

data

Forbes #1
Nothing more than vet minimum. If we focus our resources on a pass rush, it doesn't matter really who our CBs are. I shouldn't have to keep telling you this.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Carr's durability is a big deal. Claiborne and Scandrick are rarely healthy at the same time. Having at least one CB that's consistently able to start has kept a thin defense afloat for a very long time.
Carr is the most healthy but he isn't as good as Claiborne or Scandrick when healthy. Carr is fine but he shouldn't be your top corner. He should be your second or third corner.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom