Moore (DMN): Blame the head coach for Cowboys' loss, too

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
:lol

May be, but I just can't imagine cheering for another team. Worst case for me would be just to walk off from the NFL entirely.
Yup, that's what I would do.

Hell, I'm halfway there. I haven't purchased Sunday Ticket in 4 years and miss NFL games all of the time.

That's why I'm so much more into college now. It is now my primary football go-to.

If this continues for say another 2 or 3 years, I may just be done with the NFL altogether.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
"Cautious is not a word that we use,'' Garrett said. "I thought Dak did a really good job running the offense. He was very effective running off the bulk of our drop back offense, the movement offense was outstanding.

"That's not a (phrase) we use with our quarterbacks, being cautious with the ball. You want to be a good decision-maker. He was a good decision-maker throughout this ballgame.''
:explode

Not part of Garrett's process to use that word. It's not constructive or positive enough. Maybe he thinks that if you don't use the word then it can't possibly be true.This is just a denial of the truth, plain and simple. They were cautious, just like they are every single time Romo is not in the game. Just because "we don't use that word" doesn't make it any less true.

I am so sick of this guy. I swear it's like he went to some seminar for corporate middle managers where they emphasize trivial bullshit like this, as if it actually makes a difference in the results. His office is probably littered with a bunch of lame motivational posters like this one:

Last edited:

Simpleton

DCC 4Life

Not part of Garrett's process to use that word. It's not constructive or positive enough. Maybe he thinks that if you don't use the word then it can't possibly be true.This is just a denial of the truth, plain and simple. They were cautious, just like they are every single time Romo is not in the game. Just because "we don't use that word" doesn't make it any less true.

I am so sick of this guy. I swear it's like he went to some seminar for corporate middle managers where they emphasize trivial bullshit like this, as if it actually makes a difference in the results. His office is probably littered with a bunch of lame motivational posters like this one:

This is an accurate representation of Garrett.

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
I have probably said this on the board at some point (I know I have in conversations with friends) but if there was a way to apply MLBs Wins Above Replacement statistic to an NFL coach Garrett would be at best a 0. He does nothing to elevate the team. He is replacement level at best. And that may be being generous by giving him the benefit of the doubt that his is a replacement level coach and not below replacement level.

I see it this way, as kind of an analogy...a lot of QBs can look pretty good and pick apart a defense when they have a clean pocket and all day to find an open receiver. But you can tell how good a QB really is when he is making plays/winning while under duress, or at least less than ideal conditions. Garrett can only succeed with a clean pocket.

Smitty

DCC 4Life

Pretty sure I read that Jimmy Johnson used to play the same word games. Instead of telling kickers "Don't miss," he'd say "Make this." Things like that. Positive power of thinking, etc. Wouldn't be surprised if that's where he got it from.

Edit: Yup, it's in Johnson's book. Best I can find on short notice:

https://www.amazon.com/Turning-Thing-Around-Life-Football/dp/0786880775

Top review mentions it.

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
Pretty sure I read that Jimmy Johnson used to play the same word games. Instead of telling kickers "Don't miss," he'd say "Make this." Things like that. Positive power of thinking, etc. Wouldn't be surprised if that's where he got it from.
Probably is because I don't think that guy has ever had an original idea in his life.

data

Forbes #1

Edit: Yup, it's in Johnson's book. Best I can find on short notice:

https://www.amazon.com/Turning-Thing-Around-Life-Football/dp/0786880775

Top review mentions it.
But that concept was reinforced with the asthma field big stick.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
But that concept was reinforced with the asthma field big stick.
I'm not sure what one has to do with the other, but the CBA limits the types of things you can do with practice now.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
More bullshit from the robot:

Joe Fan

Brand New Member
We are in much better shape this year in terms of talent. There is no excuse to tuck tail with a 6 point lead and start throwing TE screens with no prayer of success.

This is Garrett's MO, get a lead and then be scared to do anything. Let the other team get the lead back and hope Romo bails you out. Last night Dak fell just short of that bail out.
Absolutely, he has shown time and time again that he has no killer instinct. In addition yesterday he showed that he can't make the necessary halftime adjustments to win a game without Romo bailing him out.

It's why I wish we had kept Payton and let the ginger retard walk. At least he'll try to go for the jugular and not let up. Doesn't it always work? No, but at least he's not pulling defeats from victories.

Smitty

DCC 4Life

Probably Garrett's biggest flaw as an offensive coach is that he adheres to this "take what they give you" philosophy really strongly, which is probably why it seems (incorrectly) that he doesn't game plan or that he is incapable of planning for any QB but Romo, etc.

Problem is you have to exploit what they are giving you at some point and when teams make us drive 15 play drives, we usually shoot ourselves in the foot before scoring.

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
This is one of the many reasons Garrett should not be the head coach. That "take what they give us" is great to a point, but when Cole Beasley & Jason Witten are what they're giving you every time you aren't going to scare anyone. Both are good in their roles but those guys need to be complementary players, not the entire goddamn passing game. If Garrett sees no issue with how much Dez was involved he needs to be fired right now. It is the job of the coaching staff to design plays to put the ball in the hands of their best offensive player. Some of it is on Dez for sure but some of those underneath routes could have gone to him. He at least has a chance to make a play that goes for extra yardage once in a while. I am beyond sick of Garrett at this point.

dallen

Senior Tech
"It's hard to run the ball in the NFL." - Jason Garrett

Has this guy ever admitted to making a mistake?

townsend

Banned
This would be such perfect timing to clean out the coaches. At this point I think we should be willing to commit to rebuilding for the next couple of years.

Of course God knows if the Joneses even have any qualified coaches left in their Rolodex.

p1_

DCC 4Life

why was every pass to Dez, aside from his initial and only catch, a deep throw? He's a great open field runner. Just get him the ball in space. How hard is that to do? Seriously.

GShock

DCC 4Life
why was every pass to Dez, aside from his initial and only catch, a deep throw? He's a great open field runner. Just get him the ball in space. How hard is that to do? Seriously.
And that's the critique. If the defense is selling out to stop the run, but willing to give up the intermediate routes, they are saying we will give you 20 receptions to shrimp and Witten and risk the occasional long ball with a new quarterback, but we will not let you run it down our throats.

So if the defense is giving you the intermediate stuff, and you know their linebackers suck, you must, must get the ball to Dez and Williams and Dunbar in that intermediate area. Otherwise, you let the defense dictate not only the areas of the field you can attack, but the personnel with whom you can attack them.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
This is one of the many reasons Garrett should not be the head coach. That "take what they give us" is great to a point, but when Cole Beasley & Jason Witten are what they're giving you every time you aren't going to scare anyone. Both are good in their roles but those guys need to be complementary players, not the entire goddamn passing game. If Garrett sees no issue with how much Dez was involved he needs to be fired right now. It is the job of the coaching staff to design plays to put the ball in the hands of their best offensive player. Some of it is on Dez for sure but some of those underneath routes could have gone to him. He at least has a chance to make a play that goes for extra yardage once in a while. I am beyond sick of Garrett at this point.
The problem with the "take what they give you" approach is it doesn't work the entire length of the field. The only reason that underneath stuff worked is the field was longer at that point and the defense more spread out. Once you get into the red zone, the field is much shorter and you the underneath stuff isn't underneath anymore. You can't be one-dimensional and Garrett is just that.

Top Bottom