MLB Chatter Thread

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
We won a series?????

Up is down and black is white!

D

Deuce

If I'm the Cubs & Schwarber, Soler, & Gleyber Torres could get it done I would probably pull the trigger. Sale is a big time top of the rotation arm. Arrieta, Sale, & Lester at the top of the rotation for the rest of this year & next year and that whole 100+ years thing may finally be a thing of the past.
They are asking for the top 5 prospects. It'll take more than them.

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
They are asking for the top 5 prospects. It'll take more than them.
Then he will continue to display his tremendous pitching skills, and less impressive tailoring techniques, on the South Side. No team is going to give up that kind of a haul, even a contender that hasn't won it all in > 100 years.

D

Deuce

Then he will continue to display his tremendous pitching skills, and less impressive tailoring techniques, on the South Side. No team is going to give up that kind of a haul, even a contender that hasn't won it all in > 100 years.
Someone might. He's under control through 2019 with a contract befitting a much lesser player.

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
Nothing official yet but appears as though the Cubs may be acquiring Chapman. Sounds like it will cost them their top prospect Gleyber Torres. Don't love that for a rental if true but the kid is 19 & far away from the majors & Chapman can absolutely help the Cubs win the World Series this year. Waiting to see something official but hard not to be excited if true, even at a high prospect cost. Maybe they will be able to sign him to an extension if they get him.

Last edited:

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
Nothing official yet but appears as though the Cubs may be acquiring Chapman. Sounds like it will cost them their top prospect Gleyber Torres. Don't love that for a rental if true but the kid is 19 & far away from the majors & Chapman can absolutely help the Cubs win the World Series this year. Waiting to see something official but hard not to be excited if true, even at a high prospect cost. Maybe they will be able to sign him to an extension if they get him.
Chapman recently said he wanted to come back to New York if traded but I guess money and winning could change things.

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
Chapman recently said he wanted to come back to New York if traded but I guess money and winning could change things.
If the Cubs give up Torres+ they will surely try to extend him before the end of the season & will likely be compelled to overpay in order to keep him out of free agency so they don't lose those prospects for a rental situation. No guarantees of course but I'm sure they'll spend more than they would normally be comfortable with if they sacrifice a big prospect package.

Rev

Staff member
We won a series?????

Up is down and black is white!
Amazing. I was beginning to wish we could move some of the Astro series up just so we could win again.

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
Sounds like this Chapman deal is pretty much done and the Cubs are giving up a lot for a guy who is going to be a free agent. Really hoping they can extend him at some point. Word is they are giving up 4 playeres, including top prospect Gleyber Torres. He is the only name I have seen that really stings but it is still a pretty big price to pay. It will be pretty awesome to see Chapman stroll out there for the 9th innings though, particularly in October. A 7th-9th inning of Pedro Strop, Hector Rondon, & Arolidis Chapman will be extremely formidable.

Rev

Staff member
Hope he gets his golden sombrero tonight.

Rev

Staff member
The Rangers and Astros AA teams had a dugout clearing brawl yesterday. Yep, the Astros couldn't hit the Rangers there, either.

didn't see the video

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
Cubs To Acquire Aroldis Chapman

By Steve Adams | July 25, 2016 at 11:03am CDT

After months of being linked to power left-handed arms for the bullpen, the Cubs have landed the hardest-throwing pitcher in the game, reportedly agreeing to acquire Aroldis Chapman from the Yankees in exchange for four players, according to Jon Heyman of FanRag Sports (via Twitter). Shortstop prospect Gleyber Torres will head to the Yankees as the centerpiece of the deal, and the Yankees will also be reunited with right-hander Adam Warren, who is being included as part of the return for Chapman as well. Additionally, the Yankees will land top outfield prospect and former first-round pick Billy McKinney.

The Cubs have been linked to Chapman and fellow lefty Andrew Miller for months, but the Yankees seemingly never wavered from their asking price of Kyle Schwarber in exchange for Miller, and the Cubs never budged on their refusal to discuss the injured slugger. Instead, the Cubs will pick up Chapman — long one of the best closers in all of baseball but also a free agent at season’s end, making the four-player package headlined by Torres a steep price to pay. However, the Cubs have more wins than any team in Major League Baseball and are making a clear effort to deepen their roster not just to get to the postseason but to thrive upon arriving there. The structure of the postseason schedule allows clubs to more heavily rely on their bullpen arms due to the frequency of off-days in the schedule, making Chapman that much more valuable in a five- or seven-game series.

Joel Sherman of the New York Post first reported Warren’s inclusion (links to Twitter). Sahadev Sharma of TheAthletic.com first reported that McKinney was in the deal.
--------------------------------------------------------------------

Welp, there it is. I just kind of wish they would have saved a prospect like Torres for a future trade to get a SP with some control. Chapman certainly makes the bullpen better but how much better is the team overall? I'll be damn glad to see him on the bump in October but it is debatable how much he increases the Cubs odds to win the World Series. If they do then this is a great trade. If they don't, it is going to be looked back upon as a fleecing, depending on how these prospects pan out. McKinney is meh. Solid ballplayer, not going to be a star ever. Warren was pretty bad for the Cubs all year. Torres has star potential but is 19 and right now is a middle infielder so he is expendable, but he is the one that could make this a regrettable trade in a few years.

It is an adjustment as a fan to go from collecting young talent for years and now turning around and burning some of it for players who are set to be free agents. I don't love that part of MLB trades and never will when it is my team getting the rental. Give me a player with some team control left and I have no problem with it but rentals bug me. Chapman is a stud though so hopefully it will pay off.

Last edited:

Rev

Staff member
I've stated on here multiple times that I hate rentals but I hope it works out for you. Unless the Rangers somehow get there of course.

Daniels started talking about Rentals yesterday and was discussing Edison Volquez. It's hard to get excited when you go from Sale to Volquez.

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
I've stated on here multiple times that I hate rentals but I hope it works out for you. Unless the Rangers somehow get there of course.

Daniels started talking about Rentals yesterday and was discussing Edison Volquez. It's hard to get excited when you go from Sale to Volquez.
Thanks. No me gusta rentals but this feels different than in say 2008 because I think the Cubs have a legit chance to win it all this year and for the next several years. 2008 felt like one last ditch effort at a shot to win that was probably not very realistic. This group they have in place now has a pretty nice window so I understand a move like this but it is not in my nature to love giving up the top prospect in the organization for a guy who will probably end up resigning with the NYY in the offseason.

D

Deuce

Cubs To Acquire Aroldis Chapman

By Steve Adams | July 25, 2016 at 11:03am CDT

After months of being linked to power left-handed arms for the bullpen, the Cubs have landed the hardest-throwing pitcher in the game, reportedly agreeing to acquire Aroldis Chapman from the Yankees in exchange for four players, according to Jon Heyman of FanRag Sports (via Twitter). Shortstop prospect Gleyber Torres will head to the Yankees as the centerpiece of the deal, and the Yankees will also be reunited with right-hander Adam Warren, who is being included as part of the return for Chapman as well. Additionally, the Yankees will land top outfield prospect and former first-round pick Billy McKinney.

The Cubs have been linked to Chapman and fellow lefty Andrew Miller for months, but the Yankees seemingly never wavered from their asking price of Kyle Schwarber in exchange for Miller, and the Cubs never budged on their refusal to discuss the injured slugger. Instead, the Cubs will pick up Chapman — long one of the best closers in all of baseball but also a free agent at season’s end, making the four-player package headlined by Torres a steep price to pay. However, the Cubs have more wins than any team in Major League Baseball and are making a clear effort to deepen their roster not just to get to the postseason but to thrive upon arriving there. The structure of the postseason schedule allows clubs to more heavily rely on their bullpen arms due to the frequency of off-days in the schedule, making Chapman that much more valuable in a five- or seven-game series.

Joel Sherman of the New York Post first reported Warren’s inclusion (links to Twitter). Sahadev Sharma of TheAthletic.com first reported that McKinney was in the deal.
--------------------------------------------------------------------

Welp, there it is. I just kind of wish they would have saved a prospect like Torres for a future trade to get a SP with some control. Chapman certainly makes the bullpen better but how much better is the team overall? I'll be damn glad to see him on the bump in October but it is debatable how much he increases the Cubs odds to win the World Series. If they do then this is a great trade. If they don't, it is going to be looked back upon as a fleecing, depending on how these prospects pan out. McKinney is meh. Solid ballplayer, not going to be a star ever. Warren was pretty bad for the Cubs all year. Torres has star potential but is 19 and right now is a middle infielder so he is expendable, but he is the one that could make this a regrettable trade in a few years.

It is an adjustment as a fan to go from collecting young talent for years and now turning around and burning some of it for players who are set to be free agents. I don't love that part of MLB trades and never will when it is my team getting the rental. Give me a player with some team control left and I have no problem with it but rentals bug me. Chapman is a stud though so hopefully it will pay off.

You'll get more excited when his conversation switched again to Matt Moore.

Rev

Staff member
You'll get more excited when his conversation switched again to Matt Moore.
Haven't seen anything lately with him but the sense I was getting with that is neither Moore or Odorizzi was real high on their list now. Think they are still trying to pry Archer loose.

Was laughing at a Richard Justice piece suggesting we could land both Sale and Odorizzi.

D

Deuce

Haven't seen anything lately with him but the sense I was getting with that is neither Moore or Odorizzi was real high on their list now. Think they are still trying to pry Archer loose.

Was laughing at a Richard Justice piece suggesting we could land both Sale and Odorizzi.

Archer can be had, but it'll take more than Profar. You guys are turning him into basically a slightly better hitting Ben Zobrist with all the position switching.

Top Bottom