NBA Chatter Thread

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I don't have anything against the Spurs but I still wouldn't rank them above OKC.

And what's with the will Westbrook go rogue comment? OKC consistently wins 60 games yet people are always questioning whether he and Durant can play together.

OKC's problem has been staying healthy. IF healthy I foresee another 60+ win season and a trip to the WCF at minimum.
If they're healthy they'll win their 55-60 games but unless Donovan can install a real offense Durant and Westbrook will still be be going 1 on 1 in crunch time in the playoffs, and that won't work against a disciplined team like the Spurs, especially if Westbrook gets tunnel vision and forgets that Durant is his teammate.

Jiggyfly

Banned
Also, [MENTION=63]Jiggyfly[/MENTION] you see Memphis as a top 3? No way.

I think they're #4 in the West at best. They're a team that I see taking a step back.

They're just getting older and slower. They are pretty much stuck in mud. Pencil them in for their annual 1st or 2nd round playoff exit. They don't have an elite player that can elevate them past the other top contenders in the West which is why they continually come up short.
I just like Memphis as a team and they got a bit better depth wise IMO.

I put OKC up there if healthy but I don't know how the new coaching staff will mesh and will Westbrook and Durrant buy in.

I could see Westbrook not wanting to give up the freedom he has had with Brooks and Durrant as well to a lesser degree.

Jiggyfly

Banned
The fact of the matter is that the Spurs were 1 game out of being the 2nd seed in the West, and they lost an epic 7 game series against a team that was 1 game away from the WCF. There was very little separating the Spurs from being in the WCF last year, and in a matchup that I like for them against the Warriors at that, and now they've added a legit All-Star, top 20 type of player who fits what they do with his ability to space the floor, pass and score in the post.
Duncan, Paker, Ginobili and Diaw are all a year older and that showed against the Clippers and the depth they had is not as strong.

I love Aldridge as a player but he is not the guy that elevates players around him.

Now they could possibly all have bounce back seasons but I think father time catches up to them this year especially with Duncan having to play more C this year and more minutes.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
If they're healthy they'll win their 55-60 games but unless Donovan can install a real offense Durant and Westbrook will still be be going 1 on 1 in crunch time in the playoffs, and that won't work against a disciplined team like the Spurs, especially if Westbrook gets tunnel vision and forgets that Durant is his teammate.
Donovan has said in several interviews with the OKC media that his offensive philosophy stresses ball movement, player movement, and making the extra pass.

Basically he's the anti-Scott Brooks. Where he actually has a system and doesn't just rely on his players' talent to win games.

I will admit that it'll be a interesting to see how long it takes guys like Westbrook to break bad habits. And will Donovan have the stones to reel Westbrook in if he gets too greedy? That remains to be seen.

1bigfan13

Staff member
Duncan, Paker, Ginobili and Diaw are all a year older and that showed against the Clippers and the depth they had is not as strong.

I love Aldridge as a player but he is not the guy that elevates players around him.

Now they could possibly all have bounce back seasons but I think father time catches up to them this year especially with Duncan having to play more C this year and more minutes.
I worry about their backcourt talent and their front court depth. They'll still be tough to beat but they have fallen off a bit which is to be expected when many of your key players are well into their 30s.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life

They lost to the Clippers on a last second shot in game 7 in a series that was as close as any in recent memory, the same Clippers that were only 1 game from the WCF. My point is that despite what you say about them not seeming the same as previoys years, they were a hair away from the 2nd seed, as well as the WCF's, and now they have Aldridge on top of that.

The difference between the teams in the West is very small, and unless the Spurs regress even more I don't see how they aren't one of the favorites in the West now that they have another legit All-Star, especially since I like how they matchup with the Warriors better than anybody else in the West. Of course because those margins are so small they could lose in a tough 1st or 2nd round series like they did last year, but all things being equal, I like them over teams like Memphis, Houston and the Clippers.

1bigfan13

Staff member
David West just agreed to terms with the Spurs for the veterans minimum. What a steal!

Welp....looks like they're addressing that front court depth issue that I brought up.

1bigfan13

Staff member

Jiggyfly

Banned
They lost to the Clippers on a last second shot in game 7 in a series that was as close as any in recent memory, the same Clippers that were only 1 game from the WCF. My point is that despite what you say about them not seeming the same as previoys years, they were a hair away from the 2nd seed, as well as the WCF's, and now they have Aldridge on top of that.

The difference between the teams in the West is very small, and unless the Spurs regress even more I don't see how they aren't one of the favorites in the West now that they have another legit All-Star, especially since I like how they matchup with the Warriors better than anybody else in the West. Of course because those margins are so small they could lose in a tough 1st or 2nd round series like they did last year, but all things being equal, I like them over teams like Memphis, Houston and the Clippers.
What happened last year has no bearing on the fact that most of the key pieces are over 34 years of age.

At some point this will catch up especially considering the depth has been depleted.

I am not saying they can't keep chugging along but the odds are against that.

Jiggyfly

Banned
Donovan has said in several interviews with the OKC media that his offensive philosophy stresses ball movement, player movement, and making the extra pass.

Basically he's the anti-Scott Brooks. Where he actually has a system and doesn't just rely on his players' talent to win games.

I will admit that it'll be a interesting to see how long it takes guys like Westbrook to break bad habits. And will Donovan have the stones to reel Westbrook in if he gets too greedy? That remains to be seen.
But will Westbrook buy in to this ball movement?

That's my biggest issue with them is beside the health of Durrant, if everything clicks they are the frontrunners IMO.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself

Wow.

Jiggyfly

Banned
David West just agreed to terms with the Spurs for the veterans minimum. What a steal!

Welp....looks like they're addressing that front court depth issue that I brought up.
That's a big signing especially if Aldridge plays big minutes at the 5.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
What happened last year has no bearing on the fact that most of the key pieces are over 34 years of age.

At some point this will catch up especially considering the depth has been depleted.

I am not saying they can't keep chugging along but the odds are against that.
Leonard and Aldridge are arguably their two best players now and they're what, 25 and 30?

Sure Duncan and Ginobili are old as shit but Parker is what, 32, 33?

Players can still perform at that age, especially with a coach like Popovich who manages them so well.

And Duncan was a monster against the Clips last year, there is absolutely nothing indicating that he is going to just drop off a cliff, especially with someone like Aldridge around who can shoulder much of the scoring/rebounding burden.

Jiggyfly

Banned
Leonard and Aldridge are arguably their two best players now and they're what, 25 and 30?

Sure Duncan and Ginobili are old as shit but Parker is what, 32, 33?

Players can still perform at that age, especially with a coach like Popovich who manages them so well.

And Duncan was a monster against the Clips last year, there is absolutely nothing indicating that he is going to just drop off a cliff, especially with someone like Aldridge around who can shoulder much of the scoring/rebounding burden.
Parker looked the worst of the bunch and he is the main reason for my pessimism, he does not strike me as being the type to age as well as the others.

I think they will still be a very good team but I think the younger faster teams will expose them come playoff time, how do they matchup at small ball time.

I also don't see Leonard as a crunch time go to guy.

Jiggyfly

Banned
Marc Stein ✔@ESPNSteinLine
ESPN sources say that Cavs, in addition to Joe Johnson trade, are also exploring a Jamal Crawford-for-Brendan Haywood trade with Clippers

Jiggyfly

Banned
Jordan Schultz ✔@Schultz_Report
Hearing the Suns are trying to deal Markieff Morris, who has an affordable 8M/yr deal. He and Hornacek don't get along, plus Marcus is gone.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
Parker looked the worst of the bunch and he is the main reason for my pessimism, he does not strike me as being the type to age as well as the others.

I think they will still be a very good team but I think the younger faster teams will expose them come playoff time, how do they matchup at small ball time.

I also don't see Leonard as a crunch time go to guy.
You don't see a finals MVP as a clutch player?

Your objections are the same thing they've been saying about the Spurs for 5 years now. Keep saying it, it's eventually going to be true.

Carp

DCC 4Life

Your objections are the same thing they've been saying about the Spurs for 5 years now. Keep saying it, it's eventually going to be true.
Completely agree. They have youth mixed in with vets...Green and Leonard, then their big 3. With the way Pop gives players nights off and limits minutes, Parker can play at a high level for the next 3 years or so.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member

It's because no one really fully understands or appreciates how the Spurs are still doing it.

Top Bottom